Sunday, January 6

Project Blogging: Chair

I've finally got photographs of the projects we've done this past week. They are uploaded and mostly edited. My goal this week (on top of schooling, bills, and other miscellaneous whatever-it-is-I've-forgotten by now) is to get pictures of each project posted. I'm hoping for one a day. We'll see how it goes.

Starting with today's projects, and working backward, this is my Dad's old office chair. I don't know where it came from, as he had it for years before he ever met Mom. There's a tag underneath that says, "Sikes Company, Inc. Buffalo, NY". It had markings on it in pencil, but they've been illegible for thirty years or more. The style, from what I've found of Sikes Chairs, indicates late '40's. However, there's a black and cream plastic tag on the back, in lieu of the metal tags used in the '30's. So, going with the heyday of my Dad's time, I'm going to guess this is a late 50's, early-60's model. Total conjecture on my part, however, and I've no way of ever knowing for sure.

Still, I love this chair. Not that you can tell it in the "before" pictures at the top, but I do. And so, this weekend, we cleaned it up and got it ready to resume Life With A Family (which could quite possibly reduce it to its former condition in no time at all, I know).
Obviously, we didn't do a full restoration on this piece. I've got a pecan wood tea cart that's been waiting a lot longer, and is in more dire need of some hard-core TLC. However, this little bit of work is enough to keep the wood from deteriorating, and make the piece not only appealing, but useful once more.

*happy sigh*

I love quality, old-school woodwork!

The kids are thrilled, and hope to use it with the desk, which is now back in the guest room (pictures will follow, honest!) I don't know, though... this chair is horribly comfy... much moreso than the stool I've got here at the computer desk... hmmm. We may have to negotiate.

6 comments:

Melora said...

Ooooh! I love those elegant curves! How neat to have passed-down-through-the-family furniture.

andie said...

Oh, my. I love the curve. Looks awesome, good work!

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Looks gorgeous! I love that chair.

Melissa

Dy said...

LOL - Melora and Andie - it cracks me up that you both mentioned the curves. Yes, it's an awesome chair. And shockingly more comfortable than you'd think. It's awesome.

Melissa, thanks. :-) How are you feeling, btw? You've been in my thoughts!

Dy

Needleroozer said...

I agree, the curves on that chair are spectacular! It looks very comfy to me. Gotta get me some of that refinisher stuff!!
LB

Jenni said...

Ooh! I love the lines of that old chair! The pictures of the kids helping with your coat rack are just too sweet. Way to go!