Friday, January 4

My computer has dementia! And, uh, some other ramblings.

Somehow (we'll pretend we don't know the usual suspects) the clock on the computer got reset, and it insisted that today is January 3. I could have sworn we were at the library on Jan 3. I wrote two checks yesterday, and dated them both the 3rd. Am I losing my mind? Ahhh, no. It's the House Gremlins. (I wanted house elves, I got house gremlins. How is that right, I ask you?)

In general news:
Last night, Zorak brought home three wonderful, thick, new twin-sized mattresses. I was more excited than the boys! They've been sleeping on the 3" thick foam pads that came with their bunks beds, oh, four years ago (and Smidge has been in the toddler bed - thankfully, he got my father's stumpy legs, so he still fits lengthwise!) It was time. It was most likely past time, to be honest, but you work with what you've got and when you can do it, then that's the time to do it. And so. Oh, what fun. Fresh, flannel sheets, twin size blankets. The boys thought it was pretty cool, but for me, it was more than that. It was that warm and fuzzy feeling only a parent knows, the one that says,
"All is right with your child's world, if only for right now. And please, God, don't let anybody pee on this new mattress or I will cry. You know I will."


Smidge's bed is a trundle. Well, right now, it's on the floor, and we'll just push it under the bunk beds each morning. But shortly, we'll build a trundle frame for it, with wheels, so he can break his own neck without having to rely on his brothers' assistance. The joy for me came in not having him come galumpfing into our room around four-thirty, complaining that he was cold, or that he'd had a nightmare. Usually it's just that he's fallen out of bed. Last night, all slept deeply and awoke this morning refreshed and ready for the day! Good, good stuff. (I don't mind the littles in our bed, but this one puts off an awful lot of heat and sleeps atop the covers. Within half an hour, I'm being roasted alive between the Flaming Torch and his son, Smouldering Stick, and I can't get out on either side without a struggle. It makes for rough mornings. He is what we semi-affectionately call a 'nad killer', though, and can't sleep in the middle or Zorak suffers terribly while I escape off the side.)

EmBaby graduated from the crib to the toddler bed. She got a new satin pillowcase (in the hope that will cut down on her morning dreds). I thought for sure there'd be a bit of negotiation with the whole I-can-get-out-without-your-assistance-now realization. But no, she was thrilled. She climbed in, pulled the covers over her head and went right to bed, happy as a head-covered clam.
(This picture if from Christmas morning - she actully sleeps like that - makes me batty.)

Now, if we can just get back to a routine, I think we'll see spectacular things in 2008!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Gem said...

Awwww, love that picture! Monkey Boy sleeps like that a lot too. As a person who cannot STAND to have any covers over my head at all -- can't breathe, stale air, will suffocate! -- it makes me crazy too. He's still in the toddler bed til Fiona needs the crib. He still climbs in bed with us, which is interesting with Fiona already there. He's a nad-killer too, Squid just rearranges him alot. He's also a bed hog, good thing we have a king-sized bed!

Dy said...

Yes! Stale air! *gasp* Can't. Breathe. I can't even sleep with my face in Zorak's neck, or with the ceiling fan off. I've got to have fresh air, that I didn't just exhale. I don't know how she can do it.

And the satin pillowcase worked! IT WORKED! OMGosh, I'm so excited! It worked! Normally, her hair looks like it did in the Christmas morning picture. (Zorak commented, "Boy, it sure was windy in the living room." LOL) But this morning, it's all smooth and packed down, like a big-headed Precious Moments doll. WOOHOO!

*sigh* I'd love a king size bed. Sadly, by the time we have the room for one, it's probably that nobody will still want to climb in bed with us, and Zorak and I will probably feel we're lost in a vast tundra, all alone in that big old bed.

mere said...

This post made me laugh so hard: "Flaming Torch and his son Smouldering Stick"...BwaHAHAHA! Nad Killer!!! ROFLOL!!!

When I got the kiddos up this morn, SJ was nekkid, except for a diaper. She'd taken off her blanket sleeper, on one of the coldest nights of the year and was only half covered by a thin blanket. Brrrrr! I'd feel much better if she would burrow like Em!

Maybe Emily makes airholes...I used to do that when I was little.

mere

melissa said...

LOL! I've been there with the new mattreses. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

But the part of this post that really spoke to me was the "nad killer" part. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Spinneretta said...

My 3 yo is a flaming (well smouldering) stick too... she just about burns me out of bed! And yes, she likes to be completely under the covers OR on top... I can't stand either. I mean... can... breathe... :)
Glad the satin worked... I have to try it!

andie said...

It must be Blanket Covered Baby day in blogland. :-)

Our new (well, new a year ago) mattresses made it a whole 36 hours before being peed on. Best of luck to ya.

PupDaddy said...

Thank you Dy. All day now AK has referred to Milo (the twin most likely to be found in our bed, overheating his mother and kicking his father. . . ) Human Torch and Smoldering Stick. :)

Emily said...

I am always amazed at how alike Smidge and W are! Walker is the only one of our kids who will climb into bed with us. He too, is a "smoldering stick" (bwahahaha!) and a "nad killer". The Dude now leaves our room and sleeps down stairs when W climbs into our bed, "My 'boys' just cant take it," he mutters as he sleepily makes his way down the stairs.
W is also the only kid I know that, while sleeping, can somehow contort his little stumpy body so that he takes up the entire surface area of a queen size bed.

Claudia said...

I love that picture of Em. I used to sleep with the pillow over my head and the blanket over that. Sam now does that and it just freaks me out.