Friday, February 1

A happy change of plans.

(Hunting story ahead. If hunting or photos of game bother you, you may not care to read this post.)

I borrowed an episode of Little House on the Prairie from the library Wednesday, and planned a cozy evening introducing the boys to the Ingalls family Zorak and I grew up with. Popcorn, hot chocolate, hanging out as a family. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it? We did spend the evening hanging out as a family, but it was outside, up to our knees in a gut pile. I decided to skip the popcorn for this one.

Zorak's routine this season has been to give me a call when he hits the bridge on his way home, at which time I alert the Boy On Call that it's time to find his coat and pop on his shoes. When Dad gets home, they head into the woods to hunt for a bit before supper. So far, they hadn't brought anything home, but the time together has been fantastic for everyone. The children get one-on-one time with Dad. Dad gets some time to talk with each of his children. I get to stay inside, where it's warm. Total win-win.

Wednesday was James' turn. They weren't gone more than 30 minutes when we heard a shot. I didn't think anything of it, as we live in the country and there are shots fired all the time, from all directions. However, soon here came James, who'd run the entire way, to ask me to get everyone bundled up and bring the camera, and Dad's knife. I was surprised that he'd want us all to go down there (in the cold... and in, you know, the cold), but we rounded everyone up and headed down.

It was getting dark by the time I got down there (takes a while to get us up and out, ya know), but there in the meadow was a beautiful buck and One Happy Daddy. The first deer he's hunted on our own property. A full freezer. A chance to tan some leather and teach the boys new things. Then I understood why he wanted us there. That was a really great moment for him, and he wanted to share it with the people he loves the most. I'm glad we went.

We took the deer back to the house, where the boys helped him field dress it. I have only the photo of them all after they got it in the pickup, because once we started work, I realized pregnant olfactory issues aren't a big help in field dressing game. So, I stood as close to upwind as possible, and held the flashlight with one hand, my nose with the other.

They got it hung and then we came in to resume our planned family evening.

Yesterday, I took Em to Sam's for groceries while Zorak and the boys came home to skin and butcher the deer. When Em and I got home, Ben and his boys were here. It was total happy chaos. Kids everywhere, the guys happily packaging meat. The boys helped skin and prepare the deer, which they've happily recounted several times. Good stuff when you're a young man. I'm so glad Zorak is so willing to take things slowly and teach the boys as we go.

My kitchen was horriffic. The two covered porches looked like the staging area for Tremors5. We were able to send Ben home with a roast and some steaks, and then we enjoyed a delicious meal of backstrap steaks, green beans and fried potatoes last night. I was exhausted, but in a good way. It's been a very happy, well-fed two days here at the Forever Home.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

15 comments:

Jenni said...

Hooray for Zorak and James!

Our Cub Scout Pack met at our house for a while and when Danny got a deer, he had a local butcher come over to show the boys how it was done. The guy worked for a shop that didn't butcher game, but he had done plenty of his own and he was happy to teach the boys (and their dads) how to do it. Then we stretched that hide out on a rack in the garage and worked on scraping it for the next couple of meetings. This was when we lived in town and the neighbors were just thrilled to see our open garage door with kids scraping on a stretched out deer hide. (NOT!) They never did finish that hide and we gave it to a local re-enactor. It's an experience they'll never forget, though.

Amber said...

Wow, that's great! We were reading the first chapter of Little House in the Big Woods this morning and I was just thinking how neat it would be to do something like that. Not that we have any of the knowledge to do something like that (and being in CA, it probably requires large amounts of money and red tape as well), but perhaps someday...

H said...

Okay, is the deer's tongue lolling out of its mouth? Or am I just imagining that? How nice of it to pose for you!

And how fantastic is it that Spiderman was able to come along and help load the deer onto the truck! :)

Seriously, though, congratulations! And the look of joy and pride on C.'s face is wonderful. That is a photo that is begging to be framed.

(Side note: When Marc shot his first (and only) deer, he and a buddy dressed it up in hunting garb, posed it in the stand, and took pictures.') :)

Laura said...

It sounds idyllic! Great times, great memories!

Dy said...

Jenni, that's when I'm even more grateful to live out here. They plan to tan the hide, and I don't image that'll be a pretty sight!

Amber, Yes! Little House in the Big Woods really sparked the boys' interest in building a smoker. Wouldn't that be great?

Hillary, yes, there is lolling. Not quite what I wanted for a picture, but Zorak wouldn't let the boys approach it until he could make darned certain it was dead. The tongue thing is one of the things he showed them as "a good sign" (loss of control of voluntary muscles). But then, um, like *I'm* going to stick it back in for the photo? ;-) Nope, sorry. Did I mention it was cold? lol.

Dy

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Yah for getting some venison! I like venison, but only if someone hands it to me in a nice little package. Jake's soccer coach got a deer recently and shared some with us! I need to pull some out to fix this weekend, come to think of it.

melissa

Anonymous said...

Now since it's on your own land do you not have to follow regulations - like seasons?

In our area you can hunt on private lands without a tag- but season was over a few weeks back. and you cant hunt on private lands out of season.

Dy said...

Melissa, well, we now have a freezer full of those nice little white packages! Yay! Claudia said she had to brace herself for the first bite, but she loved the steaks - I guess the little white packages have a significant impact on the psyche, huh? :-)

Shannon, oh yeah, we're still bound by State & County regulations. Doe season ended the 15th, here; buck season ended yesterday. John was sure hoping to go out one last time, but they were all too busy w/ this one, trying to get it done before the rains came (and boy, did they come!) I haven't spooled up on AL hunting regs (since it seems I'm always pg or nursing since we've been here), so I'm not sure if you need a tag this year on your own land, or not, but Zorak buys one, regardless. I think the dates for public vs. private lands are different here, too, but don't quote me on that.

Dy

Melora said...

Your guys look so happy & proud! I only buy skinless boneless chicken breasts because dead bones & skin grosses me out, so I think turning a dead beastie into neat packages in the freezer would be beyond me. A freezer full of meat sure sounds appealing, though!
I posted about Little House yesterday too -- must have been in the air!

Anonymous said...

of the dates are definitely different! lol deer season is only november here. i believe elk season ended on the 31stof january and now you can only get black bears.

i was just curious - and good timing huh!

enjoy your venison- i can honestly say i dont like it! lo but i do know my cow is being birthed in February and I get to go name it if I want :-)

mere said...

Love the pics!

Now my mouth is watering for some venison. What fun!

mere

Claudia said...

That look of happiness on that Daddy's face is absolutely priceless. I am so glad we were back for the boys to share with you guys. And YES, the white packages make all the difference in the world. lol Thank you so much for sharing.

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, that is so neat! I am so impressed that Zorak can do that sort of things with the boys. Bob is definitely a city-boy, born and raised, LOL, and hunting is about as far away from what he would ever do as I don't know, crocheting maybe. Not going to happen! He's not even that big into camping! Ah well. He has many other strengths. I have always been curious as to what venison tastes like, however.

melissa said...

WOo-HOO!!!!!!!!Nice Buck!!! Awesome! Lot's of work, but SO WORTH it to see the freezer full of those white packages. Congrats to all the hunters!

Staci Eastin said...

Congrats on the deer.

About six years ago, I worked at a drug store in a tiny town. I live in a small town, but I had to drive thirty minutes through the hills to get to this town. Anyway, one of my first days there, I was walking to the gas station next door to get a Coke, and I nearly ran into a turkey carcass hanging from a scale. It seems this gas station also served as a checking station (or whatever they call the places where you bring whatever you've hunted). I saw lots and lots of deer in the backs of pickups.

They also kept their bate in the same refrigerator as their Cokes. You get used to it, though.