Tuesday, January 29

I blew it.

Yesterday, we decided to hit the library before lunch. We did so well! Until we pulled up to the library and realized (again) that it's closed on Mondays. *sigh* Ok, so off to Foodland for some, well, food. *snort* We're so original. And then to the feed store (we have a ROCKING feed store in town!) for more bird seed, a chicken book (let's call this, "Facing Your Fears Through Immersion", shall we?), and to look at seeds for planting some early crops - namely, the salad garden in the windmill box.

We ended up buying a candy bar in lieu of seeds, since the guy at the feed store said we're still likely to have some nasty freezes between now and Spring and recommended waiting until late Feb. to put in the cool weather crops. (He couldn't bring himself to use my cute little term, "Salad Garden", though. No, he's a man's man and he plants "Crops", not "leafy things", not "stuff in the windmill box", and most certainly not "salad gardens".) That's cool. Someday I won't have to ask whether they have "chicken stuff", either. I'll know what I'm looking for. Plus, he carried the bag of bird seed to the car for me. *swoon* I end up hauling the 50# bag of dog food myself at the grocery story, but at the feed store, the nice man will carry the wee 25# bag for the pregnant lady with the small children. He also made a point of telling the kids that they were very well behaved and welcome in his store anytime, and then he thanked me for that! Ha! Wow, if they carried groceries or bras, I'd do ALL my shopping there!

We got home and dove back into the books we were going to have to renew, anyway. Spent the afternoon reading and playing. I was just thinking I'd snuggle in for a nice nap when the phone rang. It was Zorak calling on his way home. from. work. ACK! Where did the day GO?!?! We did nothing - no Latin, no Math, no Science. We did History at breakfast, but that was it. Perhaps we'll call it a Literature Appreciation Day?

James made a loaf of the Soda-Bread-in-an-hour recipe we got from the homies. I threw together some turkey vegetable barley soup and it was just about done when Zorak got in. (And to think I'd cursed the store for carrying only quick-cooking barley! I really should apologize, even if it was only a good internal cursing. Like I'll ever have it together enough to cook regular barley? No. No, I won't. But thanks to quick-cooking barley, we had a delicious, non-crunchy soup.) We ate before midnight, and had time to play a few rounds of Boggle before bed. Yeah, I may not have it together for the marathon bits, but boy, can I sprint!

So today, in spite of the fact that it's nine and we're all just now getting warmed up and mobile, we'll need to double-tap a few subjects and get some work done. But that's okay. We have leftovers for lunch, and I think the library is open this afternoon! WOOHOO! OK, ok, I'm off to feed the masses. Kiss those babies, and have a lovely day, even if it doesn't go as planned.

~Dy

5 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, we went over to the "instant barley" side awhile back, when the commissary only started carrying instant. At first I was upset as well . . . and then I also realized what a good thing that could be! Ah well, I've had to lower my standards in some areas in order to stay sane, LOL. : )

Melora said...

So do you have chickens yet, or are you just preparing? Wait. Don't chickens come in the spring? And don't you have a new baby Person coming in the spring? I think you must be the bravest person I know, to plan to take on baby chickens & a baby person simultaneously!
Buying candy bars instead of seeds is something We would do! Your seed store guy sounds marvelous, though. But it Can't get to be spring until we have our fireplace working here for a month or so, and the logs aren't coming 'til the 13th, so you will just have to give winter a little longer!

Jennie C. said...

Well, mine didn't go as planned, either, but I was with most of my favorite people, and the sun was shining, so...I guess it was all good!

Dy said...

Oh, Claire, it is great, isn't it? I appreciate it, anyway. Sadly, I noticed on the box that the "entire box" only makes "6 servings"... ??? Well, that won't last long around here. Ah, well, it's a nice segue once in a while.

Melora, no, no. No. *chuckle* *actually, nervous chuckle* No chickens yet. We haven't built a coop yet, and don't have fencing up, either, for the garden. We DO have the neighbor's chickens in our yard every morning - not sure how we'll handle that once we get our own, but that's a ways down the road. I *think* you can get chicks any time of year. I *hope* you can get chicks any time of year, b/c if Zorak hears he can only get them in the Spring, I am. so. doomed. Can you raise chickens in a basement? LOL!

Jennie, yes, that is key, isn't it? That's why I wasn't too terribly upset about blowing it. We had a good day, and a good time together.

Dy

Needleroozer said...

You can get chickens anytime of the year, they will just have to be mailed to you. Piano Girl always has to go hand pick hers, so I have nevre done it mail order, but Ernie has.

The other chickens probably won't visit you as often when you have your own- they roam, but are very territorial. PG's chickens have discovered that they can visit me when I am down in the studio- it is so funny to see chickens walking down the concrete steps. I give them pieces of dry cat food as treats. OK, that sounds weird when written, but it is fun and a good way to take a break from the studio, lol.
LB