Wednesday, January 16

Quick Schooling Update

Howdy, all! It's not all construction and renovation around here, so today I thought I'd touch base on the schooling we've been doing. We're really finding a good groove for the winter term. Now if the children would just believe me when I tell them a schedule is a useful thing... *sigh* Maybe one day. Then again, maybe not. My poor mother tried for years to get me used to scheduling things, and to this day I still make dr's appointments for the morning, even though I *know better*. Perhaps I'll learn to think of it as a legacy instead of a struggle? It could happen.

So, there's this fun site: Robert Krampf's Science Videos. Oh, that's a lot of fun. I love that he explains why reactions happen, and that he uses things we might, possibly, if we think hard enough, find on hand. No depleted uranium, no corks (who keeps corks around the house???), no random weird things, really. We just pop in there for fun. For the rest, we've been following along with How To Teach Science's Periodic Table of the Elements newsletter. I'd signed up before Christmas, but that was only because I knew I'd forget about it by January. We just began this week, and are enjoying it. I'm enjoying the new perspective, and the boys are enjoying the supplemental work we do with it. You know, I didn't "get" isotopes until college. The boys are "getting" it now. That's good stuff. Good, good stuff.

Math is going well, in general. James is nearly finished with MUS Delta. Wow. Delta seemed so far away when we started. (Heh, when we started, they didn't have Delta, actually. But once they made it, it did seem so far away.) His housekeeping is a little shoddy, and that's been kicking him in the teeth - but that's the beauty of grid paper, dry erase boards, and unlimited time to stand there making throat clearing noises to redirect his attention. This morning, I think he grasped the importance of good housekeeping, and I also think it was one of those simple things that I never thought to point out. "It's okay to do it that way, just leave yourself enough room to do it that way." *POOF* Sudden improvement. I *heart* homeschooling. (I am also tremendously thankful that that was the problem! Because you know how one's mind wanders after a while...) John's nearly done with Alpha, too, and aside from an innate desire on his part to hold off on using the blocks until the end of the chapter (rather than initially, to cement the concepts), he's just soaking it all up.

Hopefully, the new math order won't hurt too badly, since Epsilon is the only full set we'll have to buy. John will just need the Beta student text, and Smidge is dying to start Primer, which we have and will just need a new student text for him, as well. (Talk about things that seemed so far away! Smidge, Primer. *sob*) For Smidge, for now, to keep him happy, though, I've been printing out worksheets from this site: Softschools They have oodles of fully customizable options, and once you figure out which end is up, it's fantastically useful.

Latin is... *happy sigh* My Favorite Subject. I love having something other than Zorak and I that asks the boys to t-h-i-n-k. It bleeds over into math, too, which is a beautiful thing (and gives me hope that one day it will bleed over into other aspects of their non-academic lives!) From what I've seen, Classical Academic Press has made more changes to their Latin program (such as now *actually* including Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation, as they'd been advertising they did - always appreciated - as well as weeding out more of the myriad typos in the texts). If that is the case with Primer B, then we'll continue on with Latin for Children. If that's not the case, then, well, I'm not sure how long I'll spend in the closet, crying, before I try to figure out what to do next.

Reading is always fun around here. We have just a few more Celtic Fairy Tales (Jacobs) and then we'll have completed that book. We're working through the rest of the Yellow Fairy Book (Long), and then I'm not sure where I'd like to pick up in our reading and literature for school. I do like the idea of tying it to our history (Middle Ages/Early Renaissance), but haven't taken the time to compile a good list yet. On the boys' reading independently, John's enjoying his brain candy: Animorphs, Magic Tree House, and Henry and Ribsy. He's also still reading dutifully any of the other materials we put before him. Between the two, he's growing in his reading and also developing the habit of reading. I do love a good one-two punch! James will master reading comprehension. He will get it. He will not leave the house with this amazing ability to recall every detail of an appliance user's manual and yet not be able to recall a single thing about the biography he just read. I know this. I trust this. I will repeat this until I am vindicated in my faith. Until then, we will continue to read, talk, think, question, read, talk, question, think, read...

History is, as always, Story of the World. LOVE it. We've just wrapped up the introduction to the history of Islam, as a nation and an empire. Good stuff. We start the Chang Dynasty today, and then in no time at all we'll be up to the necks of our hauberks in knights and samurai! I plan to hit up the Baldwin Project and Project Gutenberg for some good reading to add to that. ClickBooks will make our springtime reading so much easier!

I think that's it. It doesn't look like much when it's all written out. Why does it feel like we're always so busy? Well, we do slip a lot in here and there. Sometimes we skip something, sometimes we add something, but there's always something to learn.

Oh, and we did decide to do Cub Scouts. The boys are enthusiastic and interested, the leaders are, at the very least, enthusiastic, and Zorak swears it'll be *his* thing to do with the boys (which gives me one evening a week with just the Littlest Littles, and that's quite enjoyable - enjoyable and guilt-free!) So, there's that, as well.

And now, I've spent most of my lunch preparation time writing this up. I'd best go find something to put together and call the boys in from their romping.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

How close are you to needing Primer B, and Epsilon materials? I may have some I can pass on to you- I will look. Aren't the Fairy books wonderful? Even my teens still love them. Boy is working through the "Violent" book in his limited free reading time.
Oh- I started reading aloud again this morning, and when asked what he wanted me to read, R replied, "Beowulf- the Heaney translation." Umm. Right. I think not.
Made me giggle, though.
LB

Melora said...

Sounds like good stuff. I've been thinking about doing chemistry, thanks to the How to Teach Science site. Their microscopes are tempting too! (not that we Need one yet, but they are so much fun!).

I know exactly what you mean about boys who can remember every detail of Their stuff (for Travis it is Japanese cartoons, which is a whole lot less useful than manuals), but can't remember Who is was that they just read a biography about.
Off to check your science video link!

mere said...

Oh my! Thank you for sharing such great resources. The boys watched several of the science videos and then I played around with Soft schools website...Oh what fun!

Very cool!

mere

Heidicrafts said...

Yes, your school plan does seem like a lot - don't sell your efforts short.

For years, we have enjoyed Jim Wiess and his storytelling CDs, from the library, from Chinaberry and from Great Hall. I noticed this winter that he has CDs that narrate all of Story of the World. And also some G.A.Henty stories. I'm not a classical homeschooler, but I know these fall under that category. Just FYI.

I do have a few corks saved, but mostly because my pre-kid life included theatre props. I'm not a wine drinker, so if I came across a cork, I kept it.

Click to my blog to see what a basement can get to with sort of mentality. :)

Consent of the Governed said...

I'm impressed.
Outstanding program of study!
And it includes Kissing those babies!

Anonymous said...

Dy I have the Epsilon Teacher book and DVD here - you're welcome to them. Just email me.

Rebel said...

I love reading what other people are doing for school. *happy sigh*

Amy said...

Dy,

We are so much in the same place it makes me laugh. Right down to the boy finishing Delta. "Leave yourself room!" The other thing I'm finding myself saying is "Write it down, don't work it out in your head!" Plus, what is up with the comprehension bit? The kid can read any set of instructions *once* and it is in his brain forever. But tell me what he just read? Well, that may require some tooth-pulling. Because he reads the words while thinking about something else. Unfortunately, I know where he got that.

Latin is our favorite subject, too. I see that you don't list grammar. I haven't been comfortable enough to drop it yet, but I may be in the fall.

It does feel like a bit of a windfall not to have to buy the whole shabang for the younger one, doesn't it? Luke gets all new Epsilon, Peyton only needs her student book for Gamma. Nice.

Lovely reading your school update, and now I have some new links to go check out. Thanks for that!