Monday, January 14

Project Blogging: Toy Bin

This is the last of the Christmas Vacation projects. It's also the last of the completed projects. (No, this isn't how we rest, Mere - the lack of productivity I blogged about the other day is how we recover from the work we did between Christmas and New Year's! That's all I've been up to since then, and that's why this is the last of the photos. Um, nevermind. You asked if this is how I Nest, not Rest... obviously, they eyesight in the third or fourth thing to go.)
Now, If you all aren't inspired to finish something by now, well, there's nothing more I can do for you. I'm fully back in Total Enabler Mode, and if you ask for ideas, my input is likely to be along the lines of chocolate, coffee, and good books.
The toy bins are a favorite creation around here. They began like so many other projects around here:

One of us will need a solution for some functional issue. We'll look around a bit. We'll complain about the shoddy workmanship and the lack of true functionality. One of us will mutter, 'We could make something better.' And then, we do.
Or, to be more specific. I say, "Oh! Oh! I know! It's easy! We could *insert creative, yet not terribly well-thought out idea here*!" Zorak looks at me, and wanders off to the computer to draw up something that won't implode. And then, we do it.
The open, ladder style sides are new. They reduce the weight tremendously, are more economical to make than the solid-side design in the kids' rooms, and we really like the look. As you can see in the photo, the rails are offset, front to back. This allows the bins to rest forward just a bit. It makes it easier for little hands to reach in, and for little eyes to spot "where things go".
This design accomodates four of the small bins (like the one in the photo above - there's only one because we gave the actual bins to Claudia on Christmas - "Hey! Merry Christmas! Here's half a gift for ya!" Good thing she loves us.) across each of the top two, smaller shelves, and three each of a larger size bin across each of the two lower shelves. We love the waffle-hole Sterlite bins for this. They are sturdy, don't get mucked up easily, and we can find them anywhere!
Oh - and the bathroom picture? The medicine cabinets and painted vanity - those count, too. But I didn't bother to get good pictures of them, so you'll just have to believe me on that. :-)
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

H said...

I'm exhausted just thinking about everything you all did on your "vacation!"

I think I need another nap.....

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks great! What kind of wood did you use?

-Matt

mere said...

We need some of those...oh how we neeeeeed them.

I love your accomplishments in the bathroom! it's so bright and pretty and functional! Nothing like the former crack house port-o-potty daddy long leg hangout that it was.

Wonderful!

mere

Dy said...

Hillary - we have to be productive on vacation b/c we don't do anything on the weekends the rest of the year! ;-)

Matt, I believe it's just pine. The stain is "Antique Something Or Other" from Mixwax. It's darker than what we use b/c Claudia's furniture is darker and we wanted it to blend. We're very minimalist on our furniture finishing because, well, you've seen all the kids we have running around. Things get dinged. They get rammed into. They get shot at. So we don't lacquer or shellac *anything*. Ever. If you get a ding on this finish, you can take a bit of 0000 steel wool to it to smooth it out, a teeny rag and a bit of your original stain and *poof* nobody ever has to know you live in a wild zoo!

Mere, yes, you would really love having a few of these to put in the kids' rooms! They do make wonderful use of vertical space, and they are very sturdy. I'll bet you could make them. They're easy and don't require a ton of specialized tools (obviously, as we don't specialize in tools! LOL!) LMK if you want me to wrangle the directions out of Zorak. :-)

Dy

momanna98 said...

You never cease to amaze me.

Mom2legomaniacs said...

I want one or two or so of those! I can envision them as great Lego bucket storage!!!! Really cool design.

Melissa

Laura said...

I love your projects posts! Our recent shower debacle was not fun, and it exhausted us, but in the end those finished projects really do give one a boost, don't they?

H said...

Daddy Long Leg hang out??

*shudder*

Needleroozer said...

It looks wonderful! I could use one in the studio, even.

You inspired me with all your project blogging, so I took the time to post the white picket fence project photos! Enjoy.
Thanks for the call today.
LB

The Queen said...

Wow. Just wow. Y'all set the bar sooooo high! I'm all proud of myself because I finally got around to washing the drapes I put up two years ago. That and I got the twinkies room cleaned and their bunk beds reassembled. The only reason I finally got all their summer clothing put away and the outgrown stuff to Goodwill was because my mother did half of it during a fit of insomnia while she was staying with us.

Dy said...

Ah, but my Queen, your trimwork is all painted! I just keep ours out of the shots. ;-)

Matt - it's miNwax. MINwax. Not mixwax. Zorak caught that. I didn't. This is why I'm not a copywriter. *sigh*