Sunday, January 13

Project Blogging: Built-In Desk

So, back when the Forever Home was still a crack house, it had this little built-in desk in one of the bedrooms. Just perfect for studying, erm... chemistry, or, based on the burn marks, for heating heroin. It's not high-end construction, but it is sturdy, and it does fit just perfectly in the little niche in this particular room. We hit it with mildewcide (because that's not dust in the picture below), and banished it to the carport for a while.


Over Christmas, it became another project on the completion list:



It's not entirely completed. The top and left side are a thick veneer, and we've never worked with veneers before. There was no way we could get some of the burn marks completely out without decimating the rest of the piece, so we did what we could -



Stripped and, sanded. We cleaned up some of the edges a bit, and stained it.



The veneer on the left side has some damage down low, so we are thinking we'll put corkboard on that side. The kids could use it for a number of things, it'll look nice, and it'll cover the damaged veneer and protect the integrity of the piece.


We plan to put plexiglass over the top, so the kids can use it for a work surface and display their work and drawings beneath it (that will do double duty in making the desk fully functional *and* hiding the burn marks!) The floor isn't in that room, yet (ignore that part, please), so we won't reattach it until we get that done. We'll put the trim up around the base at that point, too.

And again, before:

After:


But for now, as you can see, the desk has been taken over by Playmobil and the exorcist baby (I have no clue what's up with that doll - perhaps she was injured in a siege?)

And finally, because the shot of the bathroom in that first picture heebes me out so completely, here's a little something to wash it out:
Another Project done! (Hey, maybe someday we'll do baseboards!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

J-Lynn said...

I love watching you guys fill all the (now warm and inviting - not scary) crooks and crannies with beautiful homemade things full of memories!

How's that for a run on? hehe

andie said...

I love it! And I love scrolling from scary dark paneled before to nice new. :-)

Melora said...

It looks wonderful, and you can't have too many desks! That shot across the hall --before and after-- is amazing. It just doesn't look like the same house.

BGK said...

Wow, wow, WOW! Beautiful. I'm impressed.

I wish I had that much energy.

Jennie C. said...

There is so much improvement in that house, and not just the desk. :-) The bathroom, the walls, it all looks so much more spacious and airy now, and...
clean.

mere said...

Wow. Just wow. I can't wait to see what's next!

Is this how you nest?

mere

Bob and Claire said...

Another amazing transformation! You were talking about missing out on getting some stuff done in your last post?! You all start and finish more projects than we ever even get written down on our to-do lists! I also love to see the before/after pictures of the whole house. It is just so different. Like a miracle happened in there, LOL!

Laney said...

I am so impressed! It looks awesome, Dy. :-)

Jenni said...

Heh heh. I just got done watching part of "If These Walls Could Talk" on HGTV. Just think what your walls might say;o) It's really looking good, though. Nothing wrong with a house with a colorful past.

melissa said...

Woah. Seriously, just....Woah.

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bathroom!! I have serious tile envy. Every time I think about trying to do tile in my bathroom, I remember how long your toilet sat out on your deck. LOL!

Awesome, amazing job!!

PupDaddy said...

I seen R65! Will that be the next project? Did you ever figure out the CV carbs? :) You've really really done so much with that place, congratulations.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

jeez Dy, I cannot believe you guys got rid of all that awesome wood paneling.

I keep checking back with the hope that you've sanded and resurfaced it too ... but alas, I fear it is gone forever. *sniff sniff* Heh Heh!

The house is looking very good and warm and like a home should.