Monday, January 28

Has it been that long?

Four days?!? Whoops.

It's the new format on the WTM forums. It's killing me. The time I spend online is short enough as it is, but I've got to remember to change my order of operations now: email, blog, then boards. Otherwise, I'll disappear into cyberspace and never be heard from again. I'll get the hang of it. Eventually.

Anyway, this was a great weekend, in general. On Thursday night, the boys earned their first Cub Scout badges. The ceremony for that is very sweet, and the boys didn't wash their faces for two days afterword. (The ceremony involves face paint. I can't find the camera, or I'd post pictures.)

Their first cars (practice blocks from scraps here at the house) are done now, and they're ready to make their official cars for the Derby. Melissa's right, that is some Pretty Serious Stuff. Heh. Zorak's been fantastic about letting it be all about the boys. From design to construction to the little details like determining where to place weight and how it ought to be finished, he's let them lead the way and do it all. It shows in their cars. James' has a distinctive Batmobile/Jetsons look to it, and John's is reminiscent of the early-20th Century open road racers. They've had an absolute blast doing all the work, learning more about woodworking and physics, and spending time with Dad. They made the practice cars so they'll have something to play with and won't be tempted to take their derby cars outside for a demolition course before the race.

Because it's just Very Hard To Be Too Little sometimes, and not be in on the projects, (and also, I suspect, because it's fun to make stuff) Zorak made a Camaro for Smidge (who opted for the metallic gold paint - he has no idea how appropriate that is) and a '71 Chevy shortbed pickup for Em (a miniature of my first car, which we hope to haul out here from NM sometime soon!) The boys thought it should be pink, but we're going with the original blue and white. I may keep it for myself. It's really cute. Smidge has already "lowered" his car significantly with all the playtime it's received. And he decorated the hood with the requisite "hot chick and pit bull" paint job. (Actually, I think it's a googly-eyed boy and an army tank, but it's hard to tell. Could be anything, really. He's four, ya know. *grin*)

Zorak and I stayed up for a little date night Thursday. We just talked, hung out, ate a little late-night snack and watched a movie. Man, it's nice to have the coffee table back in the living room! We watched Mr. Woodcock. It's crude, so if you don't enjoy that kind of humor, skip it. But we laughed ourselves silly. It was much better than we'd anticipated. BillyBob Thornton has got astounding comedic timing and great delivery.

Saturday and Sunday were cold. That's about all I remember from those two days. I tried to get some sewing done, but that didn't pan out well. How do you sew with small children and no cupboard to lock yourself in while you work? (Ha - you thought I was going to say "lock them in", didn't you? No. There are four of them and only one of me. It'd be easier to fit just me in there. They're mostly free-range children, anyway.)

And now, it's Monday. January's nearly over. The high today should be just above 60, and soon it'll be Spring. I'm still grappling with how that all comes so quickly. (But I did find my calendar pen, so I think it'll be okay.) On that note, however, I'd best go update everything and get ready to feed the kids.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

mere said...

Glad your back! I was starting to wonder...

Sewing with small children. Well, divide and conquer. When one or two of them are down for naps, send the other two outside, or to their rooms with apples, and books or books on tape.

Grab a timer. Get all the stuff out. Set a decent amount of time to be able to actually DO something (if it takes twenty minutes to get everything set up, don't set the timer for thirty minutes ;-D ) Sometimes I even writeout a plan, and I try to cut fabric at night after bedtime, so that everything is ready to go on sewing day. When the timer goes off, finish the seam you're on, and stop. Put everything away, but leave what you've been working on hanging in a place where it will taunt you. If I didn't do that I would have half finished things all over the house. I also try to choose things that are fast, easy, and provide instant gratification. But sometimes you just can't do that.

I tagged you for a short meme on my blog...did you see it?

Have a great day!
mere

Anonymous said...

I'm very jealous of your trips to the library with no late fees. How does that go, exactly? I can't seem to remember. ;)
"free-range children" hahaha!
Anne

pilgrimama said...

"Free range children!" Very funny! I'll have to remember that!

Laney said...

Welcome back! I am not loving the new WTM format either. It is sooo time consuming. ;-(

Is Mr.Woodcock as cruse as The Big Lebowski? :-) We caught TBL the other night and laughed ourselves silly.

You want a toe, Dude? I can get you a toe by three 'o clock.

J-Lynn said...

I just search by username for the WTM to find my old threads. Other than that I find it faster in general but I've used board like that before.

I actually really liked Mr. Woodcock, you knew how hesitant I was. ;-) All 3 of us adults laughed our rears off.

melissa said...

O.K., again with the derby cars...All I'm sayin' is that with Zorak's know-how y'all could SO MOP UP THAT COMPETITION. That's all I'm sayin'. It's pressure, man.......real pressure.
LOL!
I have no time for the boards any more. It takes sooo looonnnng.... And right now, I'm basicly running to the computer only when Race goes in the bathroom or something. ;-)

Jenni said...

Oh, I just love Pinewood Derby time! Danny and the girls always participated in the outlaw races. (They have those to keep dads from getting a little too involved and doing the cars for their boys.) I always wanted to do one, but never got around to it. My kids loved doing crazy cars that looked like animals. One of the other sisters did one that looked like a bathtub full of bubbles and had a Barbie leg sticking out. Danny still has his that he made to look like the '47 Chevy that he rebuilt. Maybe I'll find some pictures and post them. I'll let ya know if I do.

Heidicrafts said...

I'm in my sixth year of Scouting with Gonzo. Some days, I like it more than he does. I've been a leader for four of those years.

I made my own PWD car every year. One looked my station wagon, one like my childhood van, and one was wavy on the top and had aquarium paintings. That was my Car Pool. ;)

This is my first year not making a PWD car. If I get a hankerin' I know where to by another kit.

Best wishes for the race. I hope that politics don't get in the way of a good time. Some Packs can get pretty intense.

If you're interested, look up the movie Down and Derby. Three dads and their childhood nemesis all still live in the same neighborhood and all have sons in Cub Scouts. The dads get too competitive about the kids' cars, the kids find a way to work around it.

Welcome to Scouting. If you have any questions, give me a holler.

-- Heidi

Dy said...

Hey, guys! Thanks for the tips and the smiles. :-)

Heidi - thank you for the offer. I may take you up on it. It's not quite as nebulous as it seemed from without the organization (although I do tease Zorak that he's learning the language of his new cult quite well, *grin*), but there is so much to learn. Zorak saw previews for that movie, and I'm supposed to put it on my Netflix queue. :-D

Jenni, it is a cruel twist of fate that has you guys living so far from us!

Melissa, *snort* Yeah. This pack seems very well-rooted in What It's Really About, which we appreciate. But we did give the boys a heads' up that perhaps not everyone will feel that way. :-S

J-Lynn, LOL! I'm glad you liked it!

LANEY! HI!!! Um, no, it's not as crude as TBL. :-D That's another all-time fave. "Just shut up, Donny!" Can't quote too much of that one around the kids, though, huh?

Anne, *sigh* Sadly, I don't know how it goes w/ the late fee avoidance. We didn't make it that day. We went yesterday, only to remember (um, as we pulled into the parking lot) that the library is closed on Mondays. SO. We have to try again today. AH, well, someday we'll learn.

Mere, I love the timer idea, but... maybe it'll work better in the spring, when the children don't clamor and whine and scratch on the door every time I throw them outside while EmBaby naps?

Dy