Monday, January 7

Project Blogging: Coat Rack

And *this* is my new coat rack:


It's got 12 hooks, and all that wonderful shelf space. I love it. The old one (which is identical, except it it's 1/3 the length, and has only four hooks) now resides quite happily in our bedroom. Both make me so happy. They help tremendously with our lack of closet space, and every time I look at them, I hear a little voice whispering, "We're loved."

The boys did a significant amount of the work on this project: measuring, cutting, joining, and routing. Although I knew about it, they still wanted to do the work "in secret", so I wasn't there to take pictures of any of the totally cool work, like the biscuit joining or the routing. Zorak did get to take some shots of them staining the pegs, since that didn't require his highest concentration and cat-herding skills quite like overseeing small children and power tools - I can appreciate the dearth of photographs, considering the options available to him!
Smidge was so proud of his work.
John, fastidious, as always.
Em got a dry brush and a stack of pegs, because she simply would not let John stain in peace, "I a turn! I A TURN!" This made her very happy. (Me, too.)
And, Voila! Lovely pegs!
Zorak did the gluing in the wee hours of the night. I think he was ready for it to be Up And Functional.

A few hours later, it was, in fact, Up And Functional (we didn't waste any time filling that thing up, did we?)
Take a gander at the edging on this. Zorak *hearts* CAD. It allows him to do oodles of nifty things, but in this case, he could replicate the profile on our favorite piece of furniture. Now, in spite of the fact that nothing was made at the same time, or of the same materials (or usually even with the same stain), the profiles tie it all together. It all says, "This is ours." I love the way they look, and they're fun to fondle, too.

And so, that's another project completed. Feels good. Looks good. Works beautifully. Forever Home Projects really do help make a house, a Home. :-)
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

mere said...

I love it! What a special gift, and so functional too.

That would make me smile every time I looked at it.

mere

J-Lynn said...

It's amazing how much the simple things in life make SO much of a difference and scream love so loudly isn't it?

It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! And so practical which equals PERFECT in my book!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

That is lovely. Your husband is amazing!

Needleroozer said...

Wow! It is just beautiful. How very cool.
LB

Bob and Claire said...

Here's a question--how high is the coat rack? I am struggling with what to do with the boys' coats, and it seems that things are always too high for them to hang up their own stuff (how convenient for them, LOL). Your rack is a beautiful piece, by the way. I love it!

momanna98 said...

Wow, is that gorgeous!! They really did that from scratch?!?!?! I need to send my hubby over for some lessons....