Monday, January 21

Homebound

The official high yesterday was 29'. Suddenly, I don't feel like such a wimp! Nor do I feel bad about not making the kids go outside to play. We aren't geared up for that kind of weather, at all!

It's been a lazy long weekend here at the Forever Home. EmBaby still has her birthday cold. But now, so does Smidge... and Zorak. They're all miserable. Fortunately, only EmBaby is whiny. The boys are starting to sound a bit snuffly tonight, too. I hate to sound un-nurturing, but if I had a firepit and a hammock, I'd be camped out on the front porch until this passed!

Zorak did get one more completed storm window put up today. I can't believe the difference they make! Nor can I wait until they're all completed and back up! I got another one stripped and steel-wooled, so it's ready for priming and painting (which we can't do until it warms up just a wee bit). Between laundry, sanitizing, and holding the angry, fussy baby, that's about all we accomplished this weekend.

The boys have been industrious. They have the Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby coming up, so they've been planning their car designs, and putting their wicked power tool skills to use. We've been taking pictures along the way, and I hope to tie this in with school by printing out the photos and having them make their own documentation for the work they've done. (They will write! Oh, yes, they will write! Muaa haaahaaaaa! Or, this will backfire horribly, and they'll glue the pictures into their notebooks and draw funny faces around the margins. Truly, only time will tell.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, I make a horrible nurse. "Quit whining and *tell* me what you need. Suck it up! Don't breathe on me! Ew, did you just drink out of my glass? What do you mean you're not sure?" When I'm sick, I mostly want to be left alone, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who want to be babied. That episode of The Brady Bunch where the kids were sick and all ringing bells for room service with Mom and Alice running all over the place drove me nuts even as a kid!

Melora said...

I hope you manage to escape those germs -- love the image of you camped outside waiting for the bug to leave!
The Pinewood Derby sounds like fun. I wish Travis had stuck with Scouts. I left it as something that he and Ed were going to do without my input (nagging), and neither one of them was motivated enough to get any of the boring starter lessons completed. Even if they do just draw smiley faces around the pictures (or thrilling images of car crashes!), it will be a great reminder of good times in a few years!

Dy said...

Jenni, I hear you. I can be a good nurse, just don't *whine* at me! ARGH!

Melora, that was my deal, too. (I really just didn't need another thing on *my* plate, and particularly not something where they need male role models so badly, kwim?) So far, I've had to nag, erm, remind, quite a bit. It's new, and inertia is a bad, bad thing. But this has to be *their* thing. They all seem to be warming up to it, and getting into the spirit of the thing. We shall see how it pans out! :-D Maybe give it a try again in a year or so? Sometimes they all need time.

Dy

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone gets well soon WITHOUT passing along the nasty little bug. If you can get them to write please let me know. There is apparently no greater punishment in my house than asking an eight year old to write down something she has to make up on her own. Who knew?

Mom2legomaniacs said...

Awww, poor babies! You need to come up here and escape those germs. But we have germs too. Better now. He's acting more like normal and eating, finally.

Stay warm!
Melissa

melissa said...

Hope that everyone is better soon!
Ahhhhh...the Pine Car Derby. That IS serious. Tell Zorak that I said not to take it too lightly.....Serious competition. have fun on Derby Day!!