Thursday, August 2

Bad News, Dental Fans

*sigh* In spite of "significant improvement" in my periodontal condition at today's six week check-up, it looks like I'm not going to avoid surgery after all. I think. Maybe. Mostly. But, depending on who you ask, it won't do any good, anyway. Yes, it was that strange.

The New Dentist was not in today. Nobody told me that. Some guy I've never seen walked in, gave me a limp handshake, sat down at the x-rays and said, "HOW old are you?" (34) "I'd expect to see this in a 60 year old, or 70, even, but this is BAD."

He then went on to give me vague, yet unsettling, advice to prepare to lose several teeth, even with the surgery, going on and on about my cavities (of which I have none - tons of fillings, but no cavities). When I asked for details about what he was saying, he fell back on the whole periodontal onslaught that would cause me to end up toothless in no time at all, and simply reiterated that I need to be prepared to lose some teeth. I could not get him to talk to me straight. (The hygienist and I had just spent half an hour going over my x-rays and the probing results, tooth-by-tooth, and according to her, I have some really great bone density and only three spots with bone loss, although those three spots are pretty severe. She was much less apocalyptic about the whole endeavor.) I tried to get specifics about what he was saying - did this affect the applicability of implants? Are we looking at full replacements? Are crowns out of the question? Is it going to be feasible to complete the dental work the other Dr. had scheduled before dealing with the periodontal issue? He wouldn't address any of that.

Finally, unable to handle this guy's belligerent and vague attitude any longer, I asked him pointedly, "You obviously see something specific that makes you say this. You're telling me to decide which teeth I want to keep, and I think it's safe to say the answer would be 'all of them'. Yet from your tone and message, I take it that's not going to happen. If there are teeth that are going to go, and you know they're going to go, could you stop with the ambiguous doublespeak and tell me, please? I'd sure hate to pick the 'wrong' teeth."

He said, "Oh, your two front teeth, for sure. Most of them, actually. You might be able to save five."

That's when the hormones kicked in and I started to cry. I didn't sob or wail, but that pretty much did me in. (And yes, I know. I asked. I should have been pushier at the onset of the conversation rather than wasting twenty minutes getting worn down before I pushed it.) It's been a long three days, and I was so looking forward to a positive report at this visit, and the image of me out-to-here pregnant with no front teeth at all... Vanity, I know. I know that. But there's the disconnect, too. After being told my bone density is good, and my oral health is excellent (in general), and there are no cavities, and there was no build-up... well, this guy was just a breath of fresh radon.

I asked the hygienist why Dr. S had said my bone loss wasn't bad enough to warrant all of this when it is now seemingly obvious (from the very same x-rays) that it was, and has been all along, and why did we just do all this, again? She said, "Oh, he was just encouraging you to get your home care up to the level it needed to be. And it is." Um, lady, my "home care" has been consistently as you see it now for the last five years. What the -----.

Ok, this is making less and less sense. I have to leave. I have to go off and digest all this. And I want MY dentist back. I want to hear from the man who made this plan with me what nuances have appeared that have led us down this course of action, and whether, in fact, things are better... or worse. Where do we stand?

As Smidge would say, "No me no."

That, on top of getting our water bill this month, and it says we used 11,200 gallons of water! No. We. Didn't. *sigh*

Is... is that locusts I hear???

I've got to get some rest. I'll be less whiny tomorrow. Honest.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

20 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I'm sorry, Dy.

Melora said...

Oh, Dy! How awful. I am so sorry. Can you get a second (or would it be a third?) opinion? That sounds so extreme (and kind of confusing, what with the bone mass being good and no cavities, and he still doesn't see a better prognosis?).

andie said...

Did you leave the water running while doing all that home care?

(((Dy)))

Sheila said...

Oh Dy,
I am so sorry. My sister went throuogh this about 10 years ago.
She was so aggravated bythe thought of only keeping 4 or 5 teeth that she went for full dentures. It upset her terribly at first but she's adjusted and her "new" teeth are beautiful. They just look like she got a great set of caps.

Some people just have bad teeth genes. All the good dental health in the world won't help.

Can you get a second opinion...one not affiliated with that office? Want to come to Augusta? I can hook you up with my dentist. He's awesome.
I can even watch the kids.

Dy said...

Uh, yeah, it would be a third opinion. I guess the consensus is that I'm in bad shape. OK, not a shock, there. The... I don't know. I just don't know.

Sheila, I'm tempted to take you up on that offer, just so I can finally meet you and your precious boys!

I AM feeling much better now, in the light of day, with a fresh pot of coffee in my hands. The boys are at the creek. Smidge and EmBaby are pelting one another with whiffle balls and laughing like lunatics out on a day pass.

Do you know how much laundry... well, Jennie, I *know* you know. Us mere mortals, though - WOW, six kids make a LOT. OF. LAUNDRY! LOL! So guess what I'm doing today before camp? :-D

Thanks for the encouragement.

mere said...

Oh, I am so sorry. How very, very, frustrating.

Does your dentist know you are pregnant?

{{{{{{{{{{{Dy}}}}}}}}}}

Laney said...

Awww, Dy. You poor thing. I am sorry to chuckle at your msfortune but the image of you preggers with no front teeth was...well...really funny.:-)

I'm sorry!!(((())))

Needleroozer said...

So my question is why did the dentist formerly known as The Nice Dentist not be more up front with you in the first place!!
From another woman with horrible teeth genes (my mom gother dentures at age of 20) I offer sympathy.
Call if you need to.
LB

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Dy, I'm so sorry. What an awful thing to try to deal with while pregnant! What happened to your other dentist? The one you liked?

I think that you should ditch this doctor, no matter what. You just don't need a dentist who can't give you straight facts and a clear plan (without fearmongering!) No one does! He should go out of business. Grrrr.

I have a fantastic dentist to recommend, but you'd have to come to, um, Northern California, to see him.

Hugs! I wish I could fix it for you!

Laura said...

How horrible! Can you go to a larger city and get another opinion? And maybe a plan of action? I'd think no work could be done until you're no longer pregnant/nursing. But who knows what miracles in modern dentistry have occurred in the last decade or so? - Certainly not me!

Stephanie not in TX said...

Oh, Dy {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

So, are you saying I should finally get my butt to the dentist? Or live in blissful ignorance?

Spinneretta said...

I empathise... when I had just had DD, I was told I needed a crown (I'd had an abscessed tooth). I went to the dentist, had the tooth done, and went to another for the crown. They told me that the oral surgeon's work was not up to their standards. I called DH in tears... he called the dentists office and told them I was NOT going there to get the crown.
I asked around, found another dentist and went there. What a breath of fresh air. The hygeinist LAUGHED when I told her what had happened... the dentist was astounded. He is a MUCH better dentist... and the second opionion was worth it all.
I'd suggest you call and make another appointment with YOUR dentist to find out what is going on. Be firm, and make sure HE is the one sorting it out. And don't trust large dental firms!!

GOOD LUCK and ((((((((((((Dy)))))))))))

Bob and Claire said...

Oh (((Dy))) I'm so sorry. What a terrible experience! I surely hope you can find someone else. I didn't like even reading about this guy! May this be the only challenging part of this pregnancy!

Claire

Jenni said...

Maybe he was looking at the wrong x-rays? Maybe he had the 70-year-old woman in the next room's x-rays? Maybe he was stark raving mad or some lunatic off the street who just hopped in and put on a white coat?

Whatever was going on there, don't fret over it. Wait and talk to *your* dentist.

I am *so* afraid to go to the dentist now. I can't remember when the last time I went was. Someone was very small and it wasn't the youngest. I've been rethinking my whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, but YIKES!

Meliss said...

I'm so, so sorry Dy. You have really come across some real "winners" in the medical profession over the years. I wish I could smack that dentist for you and drag the other one back by his ear.


I'll pray that you get the right dental work done that you need from a dental CARE professional.

Staci Eastin said...

((Dy))

It'll look better in the morning.

I'm sorry you had to deal with such a jerk.

H said...

Girl, I cannot beLIEVE the lengths you will go to in order to fit in in the South!

And I thought importing cousins was a stretch!

Seriously, though, you can't really count that first dentist's opinion. He was completely incompetent.

Can you find a doctor you trust (wonderful pediatrician, maybe?) to recommend a *good* dentist in the big city? This would just be someone for a visit for you, so you wouldn't have to worry about finding a Dr. who let you go back with the kids, etc.

Bring copies of your x-rays for them to look at and get another opinion.

On the lighter side, dentures have come a LONG way! Do you remember all those Polident and Poligrip ads that were EVERYWHERE on tv when we were kids? Hove you noticed how you don't really se them anymore? It's because things have improved so much.

My FIL has 4 false teeth (The upper 4 center ones) and I didn't know he wore false teeth until he told me 3 years ago! My HUSBAND didn't know his father had false teeth and his dad got then 35 years ago!

Even if the worst happens, you'll be fine.

And maybe you can spring for a little bling in your grill!

Trying to make you laugh,
Hillary :)

Sheila said...

Dy, Honey if you want to come, we've got room for the whole clan. We'll make room. ;)
Plus we have the Dental School that is part of our medical school.
See...it's worth the trip.

Consent of the Governed said...

Get another opinion..
You may be able to save more teeth than you think.

hornblower said...

AND, Dy dear, have you seen this article:
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/08/09/stress-gumdisease.html

Stress can cause periodontal disease: study

"The report found that 57 per cent of the studies it reviewed between 1990 and 2006 found a strong correlation between stress, distress, anxiety, depression and loneliness, and periodontal disease."

The other risk factor for women is hormonal - can't do much about that but I sure hope you're taking good care of yourself, relaxing, & getting back rubs (while you still can lie on your belly LOL).