Wednesday, May 30

Random Dental News

Is it a bad sign that I actually look forward to dentist visits now because it means I'll have a guaranteed half hour between prying/propping sessions to get a little extra reading done?

The visit went well. You know, for a trip to the dentist. They did have a heck of a time fitting the crown, but not because of my opossum gums*. It was because they've got a new girl. She must be new. Please let her be new. (I don't know her title, sorry. Honestly, I can't tell you what half the people in a dentist's office do - I think they're extras, except that one at the end of the hall who never moves. She may be a prop.) She kept pulling on the wrong tooth. I tried pointing it out (the big wobbly one in the back, not the solid firm one near the front), but that didn't do any good, and when I became afraid she'd actually get the wrong tooth out, I just pulled the temp off for her. Anyway, she scraped the adhesive cement off the tooth, but left a big chunk of on, so the crown didn't fit. It was like someone had slipped Teddy Roosevelt's tooth into my mouth. It took them a long time (and filing most of the crown) before they called in Dr. New Dentist. He spotted the problem immediately, inspected the crown, gave the New Girl the hairy eyeball, and plopped it in place. Then they turned New Girl loose on me with the scraper to get the cement off my gums. Next time I think I'll just opt for skin irritation and abrasion at home to get it off.

Filled a tooth. This is the first time since we've been here that all the scheduled events actually took place. The old dentist was notorious for scheduling A and B, but then only getting around to B. By the time a few small problems got addressed, multiple schedulings later, they were no longer small problems. It felt good to walk out of there with everything done that ought to have been done. Yay. I like this place, New Girl and all.

Next visit: the root scaling. Yeah, the fun never stops.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy


*opossum gums - they play dead

4 comments:

Needleroozer said...

I am glad it went well. We got our errands run, a little bit of school done, and stopped at a park for a while.
Now we'er off to the Boy's band concert.
Hugs,
LB

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Dy, I found myself thinking exactly the same thing last time I was at the dentist. 30 minutes! To read! Without interruptions! It was the most relaxed dental visit I think I've ever had, because I was so busy enjoying the time that I forgot to be annoyed at how long it took for anyone to notice me. :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! I look forward to a visit with the chiropractor for the reading material in the waiting room. As long as my cell phone doesn't ring, I read in peace.

I don't know if I could ever long for a dentist appointment though -even for the chance to read in peace and quiet.

Jenni said...

I've had so many doctor and dentist appointments to take Mom or the kids to lately! I keep running out of reading material. At least the new dentist has good magazines: National Geographic, Smithsonian, Natural History, and even Kansas (lots of great photos and ideas for nearby places to visit).

I love, love, LOVE our new dentist. Both the boys had to have a root canal (UGH)and he called the house later each time just to check on them. Yes, HE, the dentist, called personally.