Monday, May 14

Blogging Wounded

I did something bad and painful to my right arm earlier this week, and it hurts to breathe. Typing isn't easier. So, please accept my apologies if I didn't reply to each of the wonderful comments on the bricks, and the paint. I did read them all (reading doesn't hurt much), and your insights and stories were more helpful than I can say. Thank you!

Oh, I think I now know what early man looked like when he discovered the secret to fire. My guys gave me a Sunbeam stand mixer for Mother's Day. We loaded up the bowls, turned it on, and the clan gathered 'round to stare in awe at the technology. I'd have taken pictures, because it looked hilarious, but I was one of those standing around the fire, um, the mixer. We grunted. We oooohhhhh'd. We ahhhhhh'd. The Small Ones poked at it. The Big Ones admonished the Small Ones not to put their fingers in there because it'll snap them in two. Then, when they weren't looking, we Big Ones put our fingers in there, just to see.

It's delightful, and powerful, and wonderful, and did I mention delightful? I know, I know, domestic accessories aren't everybody's cuppa for gift-giving. But this is, for me, more akin to buying ammunition for an avid shooter, or parchment for a die-hard calligrapher. This little baby has just taken an activity I enjoy and engage in regularly (namely, making all this heavy, dense, wheat-free grain into edible foodstuffs), and turned it into less of a career and more of a hobby. I haven't words to describe the joy that brings me.

But you wanna know the best parts? Zorak has fallen in love with the Mixer. We made pizza for Sunday Supper, for the Usual Crowd. Three of the five of them are wheat-free, also, so I made the wf crusts in the mixer and we stood around staring at it while it worked. Then I rinsed the bowls. (Ta-da! All done!) Then Zorak stepped in to make his Famous Pizza Crust... and he could not believe how simple it is to make dough using the stand mixer. He's been singing its praises ever since. It makes me glad to know he doesn't view it as "one of those contraptions the missus has been clamoring for". Not that he'd ever say that, but, well, yeah. Nice to know he likes it, too.

And, as usual, the boys were just delightful. They planned a treasure hunt (for the record, I'd make a lousy treasure hunter - the maps were excellent, but I'm navigationally impaired). They made the entire breakfast, from the coffee to the bacon. They served the meal, and did the most hilarious Serious Waiter impressions I've ever seen. Then they butchered a few songs for my edification, and Emily's. As a matter of fact, the singing went a little long because of her addiction-inspiring squeak-n-squeal of joy. That was fun, and after all was said and done, we got to work on the framing for the screened-in front porch.

OK, I say "we", but what I mean is "Zorak". I took a vicodin and slept on the couch for a few hours. Then I sat on the porch letting him know I wish I could *wince* help *wince*. Yeah, I'm sure that made him feel better as the got the boards cut and fitted and secured into place. He's so good to us.

Happy Belated Mother's Day. I hope your day was just as delightful as ours.

Kiss those babies (and Daddies)!
~Dy

6 comments:

Meliss said...

Oh! I'm so sorry about your arm and the pain! I'll pray that you heal quickly.

I'm thrilled for you and your new kitchen tool. We can completely identify here with the addictive baby noises!

Amber said...

Oh, yee-ouch! I hope your arm is feeling better soon. And I hope you continue to enjoy your new toy.. err... kitchen appliance. :-) It took me a couple years to get over my fear of powered devices (you'd think I grew up among the amish or something), but now I really like my stand mixer. Now I'm trying to get my courage up so that I can start using real powered stuff like nail guns and chainsaws. :-D

Jennie C. said...

I love gadgets as gifts, too. I'm a bit too practical. Glad you are enjoying that new mixer and hope your arm heals quickly!

melissa said...

Well, now I'm curious about HOW you hurt your arm! ;-) BElated Happy M Day! I got a stand mixer many yrs ago when I was doing cakes to make extra $$. That little baby's gonna change your life!

mere said...

Oh, I am so sorry about your arm. Ouch! I hope it's better very soon.

I've wanted a stand mixer for a while but we just don't have the space for one right now. One of these days....

Have fun with it!

mere

Laura said...

Praying your arm is well soon!

Many repetitions of praise for stand mixers. My Kitchen Aid has served this family faithfully for a decade and I now wonder how I managed without it for the first 15 years of our marriage/family?

I*did* bake and cook without it, but having it makes cooking life so much easier!