Monday, May 7

Done by 7AM

I have a vague recollection of someone placing a book on my chest this morning around six, and a disembodied voice from somewhere beyond my peripheral vision murmuring, "Look, I'm done with my math." I think I mumbled something encouraging (I hope it was encouraging), and then everything went blissfully black again.

There's a slightly clearer memory of a voice and a blurry-headed boy at my bedside around six-thirty, showing me what I can only guess to be a completed Latin page, based on the jarringly chipper narrative that accompanied the bobbing movements of the blurry head.

Around seven, James came *bounding* into the room once again, fully dressed, to snuggle up beside me and whisper, "I've done all my schoolwork."

Mrmpf.

"Did you hear me, Mom? Isn't that wonderful?"

(OK, ok, I'll get up.) You did *all* of it?

"Yep. All of it. I even did my reading this morning. And see, I'm dressed!"

Mrmpf. Um... yeah... why?

"Because I wanted to make you smile." *big cheesy smile*

*choke* *snort* *grumble* (Riiiiight. Sure you did.) And?

"And may I play a little Paper Mario?"

Heh. OK, that makes a lot more sense than the initial presentation of a burning desire To Do Right In The World.

Still, seven in the morning and the kid is up, dressed, has fed the dog, and done all of his schoolwork independently. Yeah, that's a bargain I'm willing to strike this morning. And when he's done, I think I'm going to show him how to make coffee, in case this ever happens again.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Fe said...

Oh my! That's glorious:-)

Amber said...

LOL! Well, I'm impressed. :-)

And yes, you definitely need to get that boy acquainted with the coffee maker. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Can he make bacon and eggs too?
Give that boy a special reward today.. and of course lots of kisses and hugs.

Bridget said...

How sweet was that? And yet the ulterior motive. Paper Mario is the game Blake is saving his money for now. It must really be good to be up that early, chores and school work done just so he can play.

Anonymous said...

Moira loves to get up and make coffee for us -- she'll even grind the beans!

Emily said...

AWW!! Too cute! You can tell he's a boy that knows the way to his mom's heart :) Yes, I'd acquaint him with the coffee maker AND the frying pan LOL!!

Jenni said...

I've got one of those. I love my morning girl:o)

I'm so sorry to hear about your church experience. What *is* that? It doesn't just happen at churches or with small groups (or to you).

melissa said...

The only shocking thing in this post is that you have NOT taught that boy to run the coffee maker yet. Too funny! Ahhhhhhh the lure of the video game.....I am all too familiar. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you gotta love that when that happens, eh? Thanks for the chuckle.

www.homeschooljourney.wordpress.com

Melora said...

What a great kid! I would forgive the interruption of my cherished rest in a heartbeat if one of mine were self-propelled.
I read part of this to T. He initially said, "Maybe I will do that tomorrow, because I love you." Then he rethought, and decided, "The shock would probably kill you, so I guess I won't."