Wednesday, May 16

Hi all...

Just slipping in nonchalantly to, um, procrastinate a bit. I think I'm done messing up Emily's kitchen, now. And the laundry is done (at least at my house, I don't know about hers). The bathroom's clean. The guest room's clean. BabyGirl's room is clean. Life is lookin' better all the time!

The boys are outside. They helped until lunch, and they were so diligent and didn't whine (even when I wanted to) that I just had to turn them loose to run and play for the rest of the day. It sounds like they're having fun out there, too, but I'm... I'm... I think I'm ready to get up and do a little more.

Am I the only one who likes to come home to a clean house? To the point of making everybody else nuts in the last few days before a trip? It's worth the insanity to drag a travel-weary body into a clean and inviting home at the end of a long day. Preferably, a home that says, "Hey! I've missed you guys! Come on in. The beds are ready. The dishes are clean, and if you'll give the coffee pot a minute, he'll have a little somethin' for you."

Yeah, I'm glad we bought a house that can talk.

But now it's whispering that it's bigger than I think and I'd best get off my duff and finish or I... *gulp* won't finish. (Well, that sounded far more sinister than it did in my head. The voice isn't threatening me, just warning me that I may have to leave something unmopped or unwashed.)

Ah, yeah, I'll be going now.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Emily said...

I left the house to go strawberry picking with the boys today, but my 'mankeeper' came. That is the only way our house gets that "I'm clean!!!" smell. Sad but true. I will make myself feel better by making straberry shortcake :)

Melora said...

I do love coming home to a clean house. The problem is that I always underestimate how long cleaning will take and leave packing until the last minute, so instead I come home to a messy house full of evidence of frantic packing craziness. Enjoy your lovely clean house & neatly packed bags! (Is this a major trip, and will you be blogging it?)

Laura said...

No, you're not the only one. There is nothing I find more depressing and more likely to put me in a sour mindframe than coming home to an untidy house. It screams, "Clean me!!! NOW!!!" And is not at all what I want to deal with when I'm tired and ready for home. Same goes for waking up and walking into a dirty kitchen. Yuck! Never happened until I had teenagers...

Amber said...

Oh yes, coming home to a clean house is definitely something I try to achieve! Unfortunately the cats frequently undermine my efforts to achieve this *sigh* rotten little buggers. It seems like the cleaner the house the more likely I'll find giant hairballs on the carpet and various things knocked over. I like pets and everything, but we're really hoping that perhaps my sister will take a couple of them and we can just have one or two when we move into the new house! (*fingers crossed*)

Jennie C. said...

My house is always spotless just before I walk out the door! Who wants to think about undone chores while on vacation? And who wants to come to them?!

I might have missed where you're going, but have a nice time!

Staci Eastin said...

I like to come home to a clean house, but my reasons are more morbid. I'm always afraid I'll die on the trip, and when my relatives have to come and get my funeral clothes, I don't want them saying, "I can't believe she left town with her house in this condition!"

Morbid. And vain. Quite a combo, heh?

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I think I missed something - where are you going?

I completely agree about coming home to a clean house, though. It is such a nice, welcoming feeling.

GailV said...

In my case the cats help me clean up before we leave. It's easier to just get everything tidy and clean before we leave than it is to find a cat-sitter who won't pass judgement on the everyday squalor. Although this past weekend we had no cat-sitter, so I didn't do my superclean routine...and spent the entire time worried we die while we were away and the relatives would see the unadulterated truth of our lives.

When we were trying to sell our house I had to clean it up enough for an open house or a surprise showing every time we travelled to St. Louis to visit MrV. Ick. I'm still traumatized.

Thom said...

That frantic pre-trip cleaning binge. I know it well! :0)
Good luck getting everything done!

andie said...

Staci....when our van died last weekend....and we couldn't move...and I was convinced we'd be killed by the speeding traffic...since we were in an intersection....all I could think of was how messy I'd left my bedroom...and that my mother would be the one to find the mess....you're not alone...


Sorry. Couldn't resist...;)

J-Lynn said...

I'm still ROFL@Emily's mankeeper! hahahahah

OK Dy - I'm proud of you. I submit to laziness and didn't get my house in order before the AL/GA/SC trip. Guess what? I'm dead serious when I say the house STILL is not back into order! We got that flu and now things are just so overwhelming. *whine*

So you are a much wiser woman than I my friend. I hope you're having a wonderful time. Miss you...

H said...

Oh. My. Word.

Staci, I was just coming to post nearly the same thing!!

I love coming home to a clean house. But if I die in a fiery crash on the highway, I don't want people coming into my house and think, "Oh my gosh, they lived like THIS?!?!?!"

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks like this. :)