Sunday, May 27

Home Sweet Home!

Hi guys! It's one o'clock, and we are home. The bug bombs have been picked up, sheets switched out, coffee made (duh), and the kids are all sound asleep in their own beds. EmBaby was the only one still awake when we pulled in. It was fun to see her reaction. We stood on the porch (oh, the porch is lovely, by the way!) as she gazed into the house, then she pointed, "In!" She ran about, touching everything, talking to herself (reacquainting herself with the lay of the land? I don't know what she was talking about) while we got things up and running.

You know, the house looks nicer than I remembered. That's sort of a good feeling to walk in and say, "Hey, this is nice! We'd buy this place if it was on the market." ;-)

I don't think we left anything. That'd be a first. (Ack, no. Zorak just reminded me that we left a box of wipes at a cousin's house. Oh, and a shoe. But we actually *lost* the shoe, didn't forget it. So that doesn't count.)

Smidge learned first-hand how bad a goat head hurts in your foot (the burr, Jess, he didn't actually step on the goats in Corona). Poor little guy. (Picture from the Department of Horticulture and Crop Science The Ohio State University - they seem to be the only ones who willingly photographed anything other than the deceptively lovely yellow flowers on those things.)

Zorak scored on the goodies haul. He got a new shotgun (well, inherited-new, not new-new), and two big bags of calf fries. When the TSA folks asked what was in the cooler, he said, "beef". I'm really kinda glad I didn't hear that one, or I'd have started giggling enough to make us all look suspicious. I mean, yeah, it's beef... technically. I'm going to have to brace myself for this one. It's been six years since the "roasted heart" incident, and I've only just recovered. So, if anyone is up for a big calf fry supper, come on down! Third hillbilly shack on the right as you head out of town.

OK, ok, time for bed. Will see if Kodak will release my images to me tomorrow. It's good to be home!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Jenni said...

Isn't it a great feeling to walk in the door of your own home after being gone for a while? Even if it's a little messy, it's so much better than even the cleanest, poshest hotel room.

When I read "goat head", I thought you meant goat's beard. Then I looked at the stickers and realized they do kinda look like little goat heads. That made me wonder if I've been calling what we have here by the wrong name. Nope, according to my Kansas wildflower site, it's a different related species. They look a lot alike, though. The kids used to get such a kick out of the "giant dandelion puffs."

andie said...

You were missed!

Dy said...

Jenni, it is a great feeling. :-) When I was looking for a photo of the goat heads, aside from some truly bizarre non-weed-related images (oy), I did see that it's also often called a puncture vine. I can see why. Ouch.

Andie, thanks. :-) It's good to be home.

Dy

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm a little afraid to ask what calf fries are. If they are what I think they are...um...well, you go and enjoy them. :-)
And dude, a new shotgun, you guys have the best relatives! My dad's been promising me one of his guns for years. Maybe now that we're moving up to Oregon he'll finally give it to me, and help me bag my first deer.
I'm so glad you're home and everyone is healthy and happy, albeit really honkin' tired. That takes a few days to get over that "jet-lagged" feeling though. Isn't that funny, how you can feel jet-lagged even if you only drove?
Well, sorry, I seem to be rambling now.
Glad you're home dear.
xoxo dawn

Needleroozer said...

Of course your house looked great, with all the work you did before you left!
What is a calf-fry?
LB

Anonymous said...

Yes, you were missed! I posted some big news . . .

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I missed the calf-fry remarks. That is funny, I wonder what he might have said if you told him the real thing? I think Pioneer Woman might have, just to see what he did!!!

(CAUTION: Graphic farm photos in the link)

Dy said...

Yep, Gem, the same thing. We couldn't find a Snow Cap Lard bucket to put them in, though (which used to be standard storage issue for those things). Seems even the ranching folk are getting technologically advanced.

Dawn, we do have the best relatives. In more ways that I can count. You may have heard of the calf fries as "mountain oysters", also.

LB, LOL @ the work. It actually wasn't as clean as I'd have liked. It's just that when we got home, we realized this is the nicest home we've ever had. It's really nice, and all the things we were shooting for actually worked! Being away for a while just gave us a fresh perspective when we walked in. very refreshing. :-)

Dy

Melora said...

Welcome home! I missed you. It sounds like you had a great trip, but it is always good to come home.

I googled calf fries, just to be sure. I ate oysters and clams in my youth (we used to go out clamming and oystering on the river, and if you "catch" them, you ought to eat them), but only with Lots of Tabasco, but I Know I could never eat a calf fry. Ewwww.
Sorry.