Wednesday, May 2

I need a name for these!

Oh. My. Word. I love squash, but if I had to face another plate of steamed or broiled squash slices, I'm afraid I was going to go Serial Mom. So, get creative. Why not? If you have a firm grasp of what will and will not explode upon combining, then the kitchen is your Crazy Private Lab. It's like I told LB; in theory, I'm a great cook! ;-)

Anyway, I have no idea what to call these things, and the only things popping into my head are cheesy 1960's-era names like "Heavenly Squash Cakes" or "One Potato, Two Potato, Three..." well, ew. That's just where I give up. (And this would probably be a good time to remind you all to visit the Gallery of Regrettable Foods! If you haven't been before, you'll laugh until you embarrass yourself or your loved ones. If you haven't been in a while, well, nothing like a little Broiled Yeti... yeah, to get you through the arsenic hour! *note: not for the children, the squeamish, or the prim*)

However, this recipe is a wholly G-rated, family affair. EmBaby has eaten two already, and supper's not even on the table.

Here, try them:
-Pre-heat your griddle to... oh, let's go with Hot.
-Make the two-serving size of instant mashed potatoes. (Or make two servings of regular mashed potatoes. I won't tell if you won't.)
-Shred one yellow squash and one zucchini (use the carrot shredder)
-Sautee (brown, whatever, I'm not finicky) half an onion and one clove of garlic (squished or pressed - however you break it up is fine) just until softened

Dump the potatoes and the squashes into a big bowl. Crack an egg into that, and blend. Add the onions and seasoning to taste. Blend well.

The mixture will be a bit thin for cooking at this point. Throw in some flour. I used bean flour. You can use whatever you'd normally use. (Why do I even bother with writing down recipes? I know.) About a quarter to half a cup, depending on how much moisture your squashes had in them. It'll be about the consistency of pancake batter when it's right. Lumpy pancake batter with colorful bits in it.

Use some kind of scooping device (I'd go with a Tablespoon, for uniformity and ease of flipping) to scoop the concoction onto the Hot griddle. Smooth out a bit. Cook until brown on one side. Flip. Repeat. Remove to plate.

OK, seeing it written down, they're basically potato pancakes with squash. That doesn't sound as good as these things taste, though. Seriously - YUM!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Becca said...

You cook just like I do. These sound delicious. As soon as there's squash in abundance here, I'll be trying these!

Amber said...

Sounds great, I'll have to try these! I almost bought some squash at the grocery store today, but I didn't really feel like doing the usual things with them. If only I had read your post before going to the store. :-)

melissa said...

Is this a direct sabotage of my nutrition post??

Dy said...

Um, those don't count as healthy and nutritious? Really? Look, there's squash, garlic, onions - an egg, even! They count. They totally count. Don't they?

Anonymous said...

Dude, that sounds so yummy! I think my grandma used to make those! Hey-do you know my grandma? ;-)
-dawn (you can just call me mrs. smart-alec)

mere said...

After my childhood traumas with squash, my relationship with that veggie is a bit strained (OOOOOOH bad pun, sorry) but it is good in tortilla soup. Your squashed potato cakes sound interesting. The Fallery of Regrettable Foods was hilarious. Thanks for the link!

mere

momanna98 said...

Sounds like how I cook. Can I give you the recipe? Umm... well... a little of this, a little bit more of this other thing....
By the why, I gave you the thinking blogger award and never got around to telling you. Sorry. :-/
We bought a swing last year for homeschooling. Haven't used it a whole lot, but I still like the idea of sitting on it swinging and reading.
OH! The blur on his picture!!! OH MY!!! TOO FUNNY!!! (and a bit shocking).