Tuesday, May 8

Kitchen Chat

I've got some brown rice concoction languishing in the blender. Rumor has it that it'll turn into pancakes if I leave it there long enough. But just in case, I didn't mention to the boys that there may be pancakes tomorrow. The dishwasher and washing machine are doing their thing, and I'm sitting here with dry hands, a comfortable back, and a whole lot of appreciation in my heart.

We had a pretty good day today, all around. Lots of time outside. A good portion of time really connecting with each other. I've been working hard on not letting my own lacking strength or enthusiasm seep out onto the boys, and I *think* (hope, pray!) it's beginning to sink in with me. So I set the tone, and really, they do tend to follow suit. (Funny how that works. Remind me of this when we have "one of those days" - odds are good it'll be because I dropped the ball.) One of them was feeling a bit contrary, a bit cranky, but he opened right up when I approached him about it and we were able to get to the root of the matter. It doesn't always go down that well, but when it does, it feels like winning a marathon. Or how I would envision it would feel to win a marathon. Maybe a three-legged race? I don't know, but it felt good.

The boys have been ploughing through the fruits and veggies lately, so we had to make an emergency trip into town for more fresh stuff. (NOT complaining!) It was nice to load up on things with the boys' input. Asparagus is in season right now, so we picked up five pounds of that. (You can never have enough asparagus on hand. Never.) With the grill now dead, we've been brainstorming quick meals. It's not so much preparation time, but more specifically we needed meals that will not require the oven, and only minimal stovetop use. Stir fry fits that bill nicely! I do love summer cooking.

I sent the boys ahead to find the next aisle we needed, and John approached a little girl at the end of one aisle and began talking with her, kidding with her, squirrelling around a bit. That took me off guard. "Huh," I thought, "he doesn't usually just dive right into - OH MY WORD, did he just nudge that child with his elbow?!?!?" Thankfully that was all internal. Turned out to be one of the girls on his baseball team. I'm glad he recognized her, because I've never seen her with her hair down, dressed in something other than practice clothes or their game uniforms. It was nice to actually run into someone we know while we're at the market. That was a normal occurrence when we lived back out west, and I didn't realize how much I've missed it. So, small Poky Little Puppy distraction. Kind of nice.

We found little gardening hand tool sets for the boys, so they're each armed erm, equipped for the garden now. Hopefully, we won't find ourselves regretting this decision from the comfort of the ER lobby.

Since I had my act together, we finished eating early enough to go outside and play after supper. (That skill's going to come in handy when the summer humidity hits!) While we were out there, Zorak had a Truly Brilliant idea, probably inspired by one of the children running smack into the woodpile in the dark *again*. He dug out our camping lantern and hung it on the cheesy windmill thing in the upper meadow, then pulled the picnic table over close enough to enjoy the light, but not so close that we had to deal with bugs. The boys played some horrible combination of rugby, football, high-speed cop chase... I'm not sure what it was, but it sounded fun. And painful. Baby Girl and Smidge walked atop the railroad ties around the windmill, ooohhhing and ahhhing over the bugs, the leaves, the stars in the sky. And I can't believe we did this, but Zorak and I sat on either end of the picnic bench for a good five minutes before we realized...

"HEY, we're the only two here!"
*scootch* *scootch*
"Mmmm, much better."

So what began as a simple means of preventing major neck injuries in the Small Ones turned into a lovely impromptu date night and family excursion. (The garden-gnome version of a windmill is still outta here the first chance we get, but now we think we'll replace it with a post for hanging the lantern.)

Did you have an enjoyable day today?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Heidicrafts said...

I misread "scootch" as "smooch."

Kiss that spouse, too. ;)

Laura said...

What a delightful peek into your life! I love the stage we're at now with most of the children in the double-digits ages, but I also miss Having young children and babies. Thank you for sharing your dear ones!

Abiga said...

Um... uh... 5 lbs asparagus. Do you know what it does to your urine? Although maybe your family is the lucky ones not carrying the stinky gene. Blessings.

Dy said...

ROFL Heidi. I do need to knock these kids out before nine o'clock and pamper that man a bit. He's so wonderful!

Laura, thank you. I so enjoy reading your blog and getting a glimpse of what it will be like when the boys are nearly men, and Emily is well on her way to being a fine young lady. It makes me smile, and reminds me to savor this time that is so fleeting.

Abiga, *giggle* We do drink a *lot* of water. Maybe that helps?

OK, off to enjoy a gorgeous day!
Dy

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, I read it as "smooch" too--love those cheap dates! : )

I saw that brown rice pancake recipe on the WTM boards, and I was quite curious about how they would turn out (in a theoretical sense, since I wasn't planning on making them without positive feedback first, LOL). SO if you would be so kind as to mention how they turn out, the lazy ones among us would be most appreciative!

Meliss said...

I too would like to hear how your pancakes turn out. I saved that recipe.

I hear you about setting the tone. Apparently I need a lot more practice in having a good attitude when feeling yucky.

Love those low key family evenings!

Emily said...

Sounds like a wonderful night! I love it when they come unexpectedly, without any planning. Those are the ones we seem to remember forever.