Wednesday, April 25

*whew*

"Hi, Mrs. Dy, this is somebody from the Sparkly New Big-People's Dentist Office. I'm just calling to remind you about your root canal tomorrow at a really inconvenient time."

What? No. NO! It's next week at a really inconvenient time... isn't it? (I really hate that I can't keep these things straight.)

Turns out, it's both days, at equally inconvenient times. (Seriously, it's a root canal, how accomodating can it be?) Pick one! Weee.

All three boys got in today to see New Mr. Good Dentist. (Mr. Please-Please-Be-Good Dentist. Please.) We'll just call him MGD: the dentist, not the beer. He's wild. The office is... wild. On an intimidation factor, it rates a negative number. And he seems pretty competent. But I don't entirely trust myself on this anymore. Previous Dentist seemed that way, too, at first. Of course, all the work the boys had done by Previous Dentist has to be redone because it either a) fell out, or b) wasn't done properly and caries have developed beneath the filling. Lovely, that. *sigh* You know it's bad when MGD starts out giving you his introductory Philosophy of Non-Invasive-Techniques speech,
"At this age, I mostly watch this or that and see if - HOLY CRAP, we've got to get this done PRONTO!"
He may not have actually said "holy crap", but then again, he may have. It was hard to follow the flow once he got excited.

He also uses euphemisms which caught me a bit off guard. Like when he said, "We need to screw this one."

You what?

"Screw it. You know, p-u-l-l it o-u-t. It just sounds better."

No. It doesn't. Trust me.

Later, while explaining why he does one procedure in two visits, "It tends to cause a little b-l-e-e-d-i-n-g, so..."

Um, they're eight and six. While you *do* spell rather quickly, I'm pretty c-e-r-t-a-i-n they can s-p-e-l-l b-l-o-o-d. But you know, that's a quirk. And it's a thoughtful quirk. And I'm good with that. (Although, for the record, I don't *think* in spelled out words, so if by chance you're reading this Dr. MGD, I'm not a moron, but I honestly didn't see that coming and it took me a while to switch gears. I'd only had one large travel mug of j-a-v-a that morning.)

Tomorrow is Drag Your Spawn to Work Day at Zorak's work. He's taking the three eldest spawn. BabySpawn and I are going to have a busy, productive day, and then we'll all meet up at the secret r-o-n-d-a-y... erm, spot. (You know I'm kidding, right?) The boys were so excited (how excited were they?)
...so excited that it's a good thing I made them go to bed at seven-thirty so they could lie there and twitch for a while before getting sucked into oblivion.
...so excited that even an entire chapter in Eagle dedicated to Marcus' recovery couldn't lull them to sleep.
If they ever give in and get some rest, it should be a fun day.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

It always takes me a minute to catch the spellings, too. It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by people who can't spell their way out of a paper bag.

Hope you all have a l-o-v-e-l-y day. It sounds like it's going to be a good one!

mere said...

Jake caught on very early to spelling so we had to revert to "pig Chinese". What is "pig Chinese"? You spell a word but attatch "ong" onto each consanant. So, "Jacob" is then Jong-A-cong-O-bong. My DH can do it really fast (too fast for my slow brain) and it sounds really funny.

Hope you had a nice day with just EmBaby, and that you got a lot done.

mere

Dy said...

Oh, Mere, Zorak can do that! He called it something else, though. He's fast, too. John caught on to that one. He can speak it but can't translate it well. Sadly, I cannot comprehend a word of it spoken, and speak it so slowly that even James, who doesn't get it *at all* can decipher what I'm saying.

We've run the gamut on our options - spelling, pig latin, Spanish, Spanglish, that -ong thing, and now have had to resort to a combination attack. My all-time favorite is the "over the top euphemism" approach. Rather than saying, oh, Chic-Fil-A, we'll say, "the non-bovine fish cut establishment". Or, instead of "playgroup", it's "frolic collective". We have to change it up every time, though, and that gets challenging when you're not firing on all eight cylinders.

Dy

J-Lynn said...

LOL I'm so glad he seems good!

ROFL@"frolic collective".