Sunday, April 22

I can't read that!

Tonight, the Small Ones passed out during AFV, so I told the Big Ones that if they could get ready for bed without setting off flares or fire bombs, we could huddle up in Mom and Dad's bed and read their choice of books tonight.

It worked shockingly well, and the Big Ones piled onto my bed with three books to read. I peeked over the pillows to see... Captain Boldheart (Oh, I love that one!), The Star of Christmas (OK, I can handle that one...) and --

(insert theme music from Psycho, here)

ACK! NO! NOnononononono!

The Littlest Angel!

I CAN'T READ THAT! You *know* it makes me cry. (And it does. It makes me cry every. single. time. I have never, in almost nine years, been able to read that book aloud all the way through. It has always made me cry. I always brace myself and tell myself I can do it, and then the next thing I know, there's snot flying and tears gushing and I have to call in Daddy to finish it.)

At this point, John looks over, "Oh, hey, that looks like a neat book." (Were you not listening?)

So they're in my room now, and James is reading it to John while I hole up clear across the house, with the music turned up loud, so I'm not a blubbering mess when it's my turn to read.

Maybe I should've saved this for a Works for Me Wednesday? "When you just can't do it, pawn it off on the oldest child."

Oh, it's my turn to read. And I'm pretty sure Captain Boldheart won't make me cry.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

What is The Littlest Angel about? It must be pretty...something...to make you react so strongly! :)

And I like your WFMW idea. Speaking of which, you should participate! I bet you have a million good ideas you could share.

Bridget said...

The Kissing Hand always does that to me, I can not make it through that book without blubbering all over the place.

mere said...

We have a beautiful copy of the Velveteen Rabbit, leftover from my childhood, that I have never been able to finish with my kiddos...it chokes me up every. single. time. There are several books that do this to me though...A Year With Miss Agnes, an awesome book, left me a big wet mess when we read it, as did certain parts of A Little Princess. Sounds like I should just stay away from The Littlest Angel.

We're all much better by the way, Thanks for the well wishes!

mere

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I don't know of any books that would make me cry, but I am making Jared read the books about creepy crawlies to Nikki. I toughed it out and read them to Jared at this age, and now the olders can read them to the youngers 'cause I'm not doing it again. :)