Sunday, April 29

Really Nice Sundays

Andie asked, "Who... is Claudia?" Is she a mystery guest? An "invisible friend"? A fully-developed figment of my imagination? No, although it wouldn't hurt my case any if she'd leave a comment now and then. *ahem* She's real.

If you've read here for a while, you know that we have been fortunate enough to find Wonderful Neighbors in nearly every place we've lived. In Maryland, we had our Wonderful Neighbors and their two Wonderful Daughters. In New Mexico, we had Wonderful Family, and it's a small state. Way, way back in Arizona, we had Wonderful Neighbors Ben & Claudia. Ben went to school with Zorak. Then they moved into the apartment adjacent to ours. We shared a landing, which was handy - just one baby gate at the top of the stairs and all the children had free rein of both apartments and an outside playspace. Well, they live here now, too! They're still Wonderful, but now they live "down the road a piece", so I had to switch to using their normal names rather than the generic moniker of "Our Wonderful Neighbors". They'll probably become a blog staple. I should see if she wants cool nicknames.

So, we've begun a bit of a tradition lately, which I hope they enjoy as much as we do: Sunday Supper. It's not quite the way the Old Timers did it. Or perhaps it is. I'm not sure. It's laid-back, usually a pot luck affair. Today it was a picnic affair, per the requests of the Small Ones. The five boys get to run about and be squirrelly and shake off the trauma of having to be still ALL MORNING LONG. They get to play in the barn, in the creek, in the woods. Claudia and I get to sit in the grass, wondering if we'll have ticks after all this, while the babies free range and graze and trade sippy cups. It's really nice, and hopefully as we gather people, we'll find others who would enjoy coming to our place for Sunday Supper. Door's open, come on over!

We tried the VTC today. Wow. Yes. Tiny. Five people, including the pastor. But the pastor is good. He's wise, but not haughty. He's slightly grizzled, but not in a David Allen Coe sort of way. Good stuff. Everybody made a point of reminding us that they've all done their toddler-time in the pews, and they remember what it's like. One or two parishoners also mentioned that it's great stuff... in retrospect. Everybody was glad to have the children there. The pastor pointed out a room at the back of the sanctuary and said that they'd be happy to start up a children's Sunday School program if we would like. The boys liked it pretty well, although there was no break between Sunday School and the service, and we all could have used a little leg-stretching and a snack. The music is just as bad as it is at the VSC, but they do give it their all. I think my favorite quote from the day came from the pastor, in response to our appreciation for their patience with the children's noise. He said, "I've preached in congregations with upwards of 400 people. I can talk above anything." Gotta love a pastor who can go with the flow! Zorak wasn't feeling 100% this morning, so he stayed home to rest up a bit. I wish he could have gone with us, so we could be more certain, but I think this may be it.

Tomorrow I have to be at the oral surgeon's office at 8:30. (HOW am I supposed to get up, dressed and out the door that early without my COFFEE?!?!?) If you wouldn't mind, please say a prayer for the procedure. I'm feeling like quite the weenie at this point, and a little beat up over this whole mess. Yes, it's minor. Yes, I know, it could be far worse. That doesn't really make me feel any better, though. It only ups the weenie factor. ;-) I'm thankful, though, that Zorak will have the Small Ones. Knowing that they're with him, and all that that entails, makes it easier for me to do so many things with a calmed heart. What would I do without that man?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Jules said...

Sending up prayers for your surgery! I had the same feelings when my gall bladder came out. It's not fun but it does help to know the babies are in good hands.

I hope your recovery is smooth and easy too.

Bridget said...

I'm sending prayers and good thoughts your way for this morning.
Isn't it great to have good friends that you just enjoy spending time with?

J-Lynn said...

Been praying for you this morning. I'm sure you're done and healing by now. Hugs, love you!

Melora said...

VTC sounds as if it has a certain charm, and your family would more than double the size of the congregation, eh? I am curious about how a congregation that small affords a pastor? Does he volunteer?
I will be praying for you with your surgery! Health problems are so much more challenging when you have little ones who expect mommy to be "on" all the time.

Jenni said...

Sunday Supper sounds wonderful! What you describe is exactly why I wish we could switch our fellowship to mornings. Everything would be so much more relaxed afterwards and folks could just hang out as long as they like. I think everyone else either *really* prefers evening fellowship or they don't care and aren't willing to push for change. I'm glad you have such good friends to share your lazy Sunday afternoons with.

BTW, I'm chuckling at what a sermon by Pastor David Allen Coe would sound like:o)

Dy said...

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the prayers.

Jenni, I'm so glad somebody got a chuckle out of that. :-) Does your church not have Sunday morning services at all? Just evening?

Melora, yes, he does volunteer. The church building has been paid off a long time (it was built in 1914), so the only expenses they have really are utilities and charity work. I can't help but think there are other families out there who may be looking for a small, friendly, family-oriented church who just don't know about this one b/c it's not right on the main road out here in the boonies.

Dy

Melora said...

That sounds like the sort of church we want! Actually, ours is mostly good, just too far away. This one is close to you, I'm guessing?

Dy said...

Yes, just a few miles down a little country road. :-)