Tuesday, April 10

A Refreshing Visit

But first, a public service announcement for Hillary. Zebra Cakes, made by Little Debbie and her high fructose corn syrup kitchen crew. The official description (straight from Deb, herself):
"A delicious yellow cake with creme filling covered in white icing and trimmed with fudge stripes.
Twin-wrapped 10 to a carton."
Well, as with most advertising, that's a little misleading. In fact, a better description would be something more like this:
"A semi-stale, crack-filled cake wrapped in a concoction of mostly wax and sugar. Five tiny two-packs per carton. Buy two."
My blatant coffee addiction aside, these little delicacies may have contributed to the current condition of my teeth in no small manner.

However, I've had better than Zebra Cake Therapy over the last 24 hours! Yes, better. I've had children *everywhere* - stacked up, spread all over the place, running in and out and up and down. Geo is hilarious. Jess is just as wonderful as always. Her children make me want to scoop them up and pretend I have no idea what she's talking about when she wants to take them home. No. They're mine. Go find some other kids somewhere. I'm keeping these. And now I know for a fact that they'll all fit in the house! (And most of them fit on the tractor, too!)
We didn't get nearly the pictures I thought we would. The bags weren't even unpacked before the children grouped up and dispersed. Did you know you can lose a lot of children on six acres? We couldn't even find them for breakfast. (Although I swear they were all safely in bed last night. Honest.)

I don't know about her children - we'll have to let her tell their side of the story - but mine had a wonderful time.
James was particularly thrilled to find somebody to play Monopoly with him!
This is the only one I have of the two Mommies.

And here's Smidge and Belle, "drivin' to town".


Jess got more pictures than I did, so hopefully she'll share when they get home. And I have a few more to post, but I need to make use of her mad Photoshop skills to remove some redeye first.

We should all have friends in our lives like they are. Friends who will laugh with you, at you, and for you. Friends who'll shoot you straight and love you anyway. Friends who will encourage you and cheer you on. Friends who will not be afraid to tell you if you have eye boogers. Friends who are willing to extend and accept a pre-emptive apology for anything the children may do. The only thing that would make their friendship better is if they didn't live so stinkin' far away. We love you guys!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

andie said...

Ooh, pictures! What fun! I love it when the cousins are over here - with all the nooks and crannys in this house there are kids popping out everywhere.







Bed hold up okay, then?

Hahahahaha.

Jenni said...

I love zebra cakes:o) They go beautifully with coffee for breakfast.

That tractor pic is great, and I love the look on Smidge's face in that bottom photo. You can tell he's serious about that tractor!

Rebel said...

I'm so happy for you guys! You must have had a blast. Those are great pics of the kiddos.

Melora said...

Looks like a great visit! How thoughtful of them to have children of the same ages as yours!

I had to Google Zebra cakes before I remembered what they were, and then I didn't comment on them because I thought maybe you hadn't noticed that they are stale cake coated in wax. A Pinwheel addiction I could understand, but...

Dy said...

Well, that's the thing about addictions. I don't know anybody who gets addicted to steamed broccoli, or to, say... well, no, I know a few weirdos who are addicted to exercise. But I'm not among them. I like my addictions to be thoroughly life-and-artery-threatening. :-)
Dy

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love friends like that. So glad to know you guys had such a great time. Looks like the kids had a blast.
-dawn