Sunday, April 15

Too Tired To Blog

It's almost two o'clock. We've just emerged from the basement. The stairwell is ready for us to move the steps tomorrow. (Currently, you walk down the steps, turn toward the back wall, and descend the last four steps facing the Scary Room. To get to the rest of the basement, you've got to wander back under the stairwell and around. We're guessing this stroke of inspiration happened about the same time he - whoever did the work - realized the third support column in the Scary Room wasn't gonna hit the joists, either.)

Six boxes completely emptied. Two big black trash bags filled, and two large boxes of trash. Two donation boxes filled. We started to get cocky in our decluttering, and wouldn't you know it, the next box we opened was just full of stuff we don't want, but is either collectable, or valuable, or simply in too nice a condition to throw out. *sigh* The entire box... (Anybody want a mechanical cooking pig?)

We did find several boxes of the boys' things. They've been set in the middle of the boys' room, as a surprise for tomorrow. Who says Christmas comes but once a year, right?

More brainstorming on the waterproofing and culvert plans.

We need rain barrels. Definitely need rain barrels.

The dog seems to be back to his excitable, yet not-horribly-intuitive self. I think I liked him better when he stayed in one place. He kept stealing stuffed toys from the boxes and running off to dismantle them. Not helpful. Or cute.

Thus rounds out the less glamorous *snort* side of home repair. Still, good stuff. At least there are no crickets this year!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy
(Drat. Zorak just informed he that he did see one cricket. So I'll modify that, "At least I haven't had to deal with crickets this year! WOOHOO!")

7 comments:

Melora said...

How 'bout you sell the mechanical cooking pig (I'm trying to imagine what that would look like) on e-bay and buy a bunch of cricket traps. I've seen one so far this year, and it made me realize that there was at least one thing I like about winter.
I hope the children enjoy their "new" treasures (the ones Balto didn't eat). Maybe Balto needs a puppy! (just kidding)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Too tired to blog, eh? :)

About the box of "too valuable to throw away"...can you list the items on Ebay? I've been decluttering lately and have been amazed at what will sell there. My newest discovery for easy selling: price your item just a tad high, and then offer free shipping. People are so much more likely to bid. Silly people. But it works. :)

Dy said...

"Well", Em, too tired to blog well. ;-)

You know, we put that box together for Zorak's Mom to ebay. She does it already, and has a good set up for the whole selling-boxing-shipping process. But it seems we didn't label it properly (erm, okay, "at all") and so, when she's been out, it never dawned on us to hand it over. I think I'm going to find hot pink packing tape and cover all those boxes with the stuff so they'll be easy to spot the next time we're going to see her. :-)

The children *loved* waking up to find all their old favorites. (Some were the ones they've been asking about, and I've been evasive about answering the inquiries, because I honestly couldn't remember if they were still in the basement or if they'd been "lost" in the move!)

:-) I know, we're nerds.

Dy

Bob and Claire said...

Decluttering posts are so inspirational! That is what I really want to be doing--if only I weren't 37 weeks pregnant. I just can't get the energy and gumption up to do anything really productive, sigh. So instead I sit around, grumbling at all the odds and ends that need to be thrown out, the cabinents that are full of junk, the messy basement and garage, etc. So far grumbling has not proven to be a very productive strategy, LOL, and no one else has been inspired to do anything aobut our junk either! Ah well. Who notices clutter with a newborn around, that's what I'm thinking! : )

Emily said...

Good job with all of the decluttering! We are doing quite a bit of that around here too. Big yard sale planned for next weekend :)

And don't get me started on the crickets!! We have the cave variety in our "scary room".

What kind of waterproofing are you doing? We've had some moisture issues in one corner of our basement since we put on the addition. Not really sure what to do first in fixing it.

H said...

It's rather like a modern version of plagues at your house, isn't it.

Mold!

Crickets!

Vines! My God, THE VIIIIIIINES!

I can hardly wait to see what comes next!

Anonymous said...

Did someone say mechanical cooking pig?