Thursday, November 16

Virtual Friday

I really like Zorak's work schedule. Every other Friday, he's off, so we have an extra day to work on the house, or play with the kids. We usually blow the evenings by staying up way too late to watch Scrubbs and then a movie or two, but the time spent together is really nice. Sort of makes up for those last two years of school, where we never saw one another, even on weekends.

Today was cold-cold. Not like Michigan cold, but colder-than-Yuma cold. I'd venture to say it was close to Denver-cold (Zorak says no, but he was inside... and I'm feelin' like a weenie.) And it was beautiful. The boys were content to stay inside and play, work on their lessons, eat. Smidge really wanted to go outside to play, but not alone. So he stood in the foyer with his shoes on, hoodie in hand. He just stood there, staring at us, just waiting for someone to cave. (Nobody did - did I mention that it was kinda chilly out there?)

The kids and I found a recipe for making mulled cider out of regular apple juice, so we just had to try it. Some may poo-poo the idea that the two are even remotely similar, outside the basic apple DNA, but I've gotta say a few things in favor of this little plan: economy, year-round availability, and sheer freakin' fun. C'mon, how often do you let your kids heat a dry skillet and throw whole peppercorns in there? Or stir a handful of cloves and broken cinnamon sticks into a whirlpool in a pot? If you're eight, or six, or three, (or, um thirty-three...) that's fun! The flavor turned out pretty good, so we served it up with supper, and Zorak eyed us suspiciously. The knowledge that we'd gleaned the recipe from a website called Cooking For Engineers didn't seem to help any. (Of course, the fact that we were having a mongolian-like noodle dish for supper probably didn't help any, either.)

And now, it's quiet. We read "The Strange Dog" chapter in Farmer Boy tonight, so the boys are feeling particularly appreciative of Balto Dog. I am, too, really. For all the deer he chases away, he's really a loyal and affectionate dog, and it is nice to know his early alert systems are functional. Wish we could turn it off til the end of hunting season, but eh, can't have everything.

Zorak picked up a movie this evening, and he's ready to get started on our long weekend lounging. Time for a little touchin' base, and general appreciative sharing all around. Good stuff, this marriage thing. ;-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow every other friday off thas awesome. I wish my hubby had that.We had a huge windstorm here the other night and a panel to our fence blew off nt to mention tree limbs everywhere so thats what we will be doing this weekend. Okay I have a question,,, since you guys are like bob villa. I have a bathtub that has a clog. Its needs a plumber but I have a husband who thinks it isnt manly to call a plumber, yet thinks the problem will go away, hmmm that approach just isnt working and I am sick of buying drano max it works for like a day and a half. Is there anything stronger you would reccomend or have any advice? I swear you should have your own home improvement blog :) Like youre not busy enough huh ?

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Anonymous said...

Funny, it was WARM here yesterday. Windy and rainy, but warm. Because of the wind and rain, I hadn't so much as poked my head out the door all morning and couldn't figure out why it was so darn HOT in here. Duh. It was 60 something outside and I still had the heat on.

I feel out of touch, I've been packing and packing and occasionally stopping to feed the troops.

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

We are reading Farmer Boy right now, too, and loving it. I also love reading your blog! My kids are 9(b), 6(b), 5(g), and 7m(b) so many of your family experiences resonate with me. And you tell things in such a funny way! Well. I sound like a wierdo suck-up now but I had to let you know how much I enjoy these little glimpses into your life! Anne

Dy said...

Anne, thanks for leaving a note. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here. Life with the little ones is fun, isn't it?

Andie, it was warm here yesterday, when the wind could have blown Smidge right over the fence. THEN the cold came... (run! hide! don't pack your wool socks yet!)

Dy

Dy said...

Ang,

My best guess is that you've got some kind of solid in there. Probably hair, possibly a sock. More embarrassingly yet, undies. ;-)

I was going to recommend a snake, but Zorak says to pick up a Zip-it (it's like $2, and you can get them all over the place). It's like a snake, but shorter, and has hook things to pull stuff back out easier. He said get the Zip-it, a few trash bags (I'm going to guess gloves might be in order, too!) and use a screwdriver to lift the screen on your drain. Run it a few times, and have the trash bags ready to fling the gunk into.

The p-trap might be difficult to negotiate, so if you can't get it to make the bend, try opening the overflow drain and go down that way. But try the main drain first, since a lot of clogs happen right there in the p-trap. Good luck, and let us know if that does the trick!

Dy

Anonymous said...

We are now going to be making cider this weekend as well as pasta! T. saw a show yesterday on tv where spagetti was being made, and he suggested that we Buy a Pasta Machine so we could make our own. I told him that we could make spagetti (once), but no machine.

I bought Little House in the Big Woods after reading that your boys were enjoying it, but haven't convinced T. that it isn't a "girl's book." He would like it if he'd just give it a chance.

Have a lovely weekend!