Monday, November 6

Before & After Pictures: The Hallway

In going through our photos, I realized there aren't many of the hallway itself. That's probably because it was creepy. Then it spent the winter covered in plastic and we only went back there when we really, really had to pee. And honestly, who takes a camera for that? (No. I don't want to know. Suffice to say that we aren't among those who do.) However, I pieced together what I could, so here goes.

This is the hall, as seen from the living room, when we bought the place. The hallway was, as everything else in the house, carpeted.



You can see the orange carpet in one of the bedrooms, and just in front of that, what we've been calling "the icon closet" (it finally decided to become a linen closet). The door to the basement is open. I don't know why. You can't see the old coat closet (now the washer/dryer cubby), but it's just past that door. The hall looks really long, to me, in this picture. I'm not sure why.

Nothing new to report on the whole process; out came the paneling, the carpet, the subfloor, and the doors. (The basement door we just cleaned and left on because, really, that was better than leaving the basement exposed. Ew.) So, here it is, a bit barren, but no longer inciting the willies in passersby. (This was taken from the other end of the hall, looking back toward the living room.)



And here, as it has spent the majority of our time thus far, with walls, paint, subfloor. And, it has two lights, one at each end, rather than one in the middle. The exciting stuff is in all the wiring, but you can't see that. It's a little plain vanilla, but how much time does one spend in the hallway? It's clean and not health-threatening. We'll hang stuff later, when decorations rise to the surface of the priority heap, um, list.



And then, only a year later (*snort*), here we are!



Miss Emily is thrilled with the new floor!



There's a lot of trim and detail work still to be done. But it's the fine carpentry stuff (such as borders near a few edges for the paint changes, since we used bullnose beading on the corners and that doesn't give a good, clean edge for a color change, baseboards - you can see that in detail.) But don't they look happy? And mostly clean?



And, if you'll pardon the mess (it's only about 50 feet from the front door to the kitchen, as the crow flies, but with everything upended while we work on the floor, it's a good two-mile hike over everything), here's a look at the foyer, from the living area. That arch is my happy spot. When I get overwhelmed by it all and think we'll never be finished, I sit in the kitchen and look over at my arch. *happy sigh*



Tomorrow, more flooring to put down. We're a little over halfway done with all of it, so that feels good. There's just a lot of shuffling, feeding, and tending to be done amidst all of it, so it's a slow process. But thanks for being patient and encouraging. It's really coming along. We forget just how much, until we look at the "before" pictures. That drives the changes home pretty quickly. It's amazing how quickly something can become "how it's always been" - it's an encouraging sensation.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

23 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Wow! It is absolutely gorgeous. You have done such a great job!
And who said that baby girl could get so big! What a sweet chubby thing she is.
Way to go.
Smooches,
LB, who should be asleep, sigh.

Becca said...

In.credible. Was that orange carpet really truly in your house? Holy cow, what a transformation!! The flooring is gorgeous. And the baby is so so precious. She makes me just want to nibble those cheeks.

Thanks so much for your comments. They make my day. Or very late at night, as the case may be!

Anonymous said...

That hallway was, indeed, dark and scary! It looks great now and the children sure do look pleased with it. If it was my hallway, I'd probably spend an unusual amount of time walking up and down it myself. :) Before I even read about your arch, I looked at the photo and thought that's a lovely spot! It's good to have a happy place.

Congratulations on a job well done!

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I'm sure it feels good. I've lived through some home remodels myself, and it certainly feels good when you start to see progress.

Miss Emily is certainly growing!

I was so glad to see that you can finally comment on my blog! I'm almost as excited about that as you are about your new floor! :o)

Staci

Amy said...

Wow! that looks awesome. I love the floor you picked.

The kids are pretty darn cute, too.

Enjoy your floor!

Amy

Meliss said...

Smidge and Miss Emily both have such kissable cheeks! Cutie-pies!

I love the prominent wood-grain look of your floor. It looks fresh and clean. Beautiful!

Thanks for posting pictures.

Meliss said...

P.S. I posted a link to more baby laughter in the comments on my blog.

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, the flooring looks so good! It really makes a difference in that hallway. Amazing!

We have the world's ugliest linoleum in our kitchen, and ever since we moved in, we have been meaning to put down wood floors. You can tell we really mean to because about a month after we moved in (2 1/2 years ago), we bought all the wood! And the boxes have sat, piled in our dining room all this time. I'll have to show Bob your pictures and tell him to imagine the difference wood would make in our kitchen--maybe that will be the key to motivate us, LOL!

Dy said...

Thanks, guys.

Becca, oh, wait til you see the actual carpet. Three of the bedrooms had the same carpet design, a swirly, mystical loop-the-loop of swooping loops, in different color schemes: orange/brown, blue/green, brown/grey. I think it was grey. It was probably very nice when it went in, but 30 years, a little mold and a lot of bong water will sure do a number on carpet! *shudder*

Claire, how do you avoid all that in your photos? All the photos of your place look so tidy and *finished*! No fair! I need a photographer. I hope you can talk Bob into putting it down. It's so... just so NICE to enjoy walking on your floor. kwim?

Staci, you should have heard me squeal when I realized your comment box will now open for me! LOL!

LB, she's just HUGE (of course, in ten years, we'll look at these pictures and ahhhh over how "tiny" she was) but right now, she's a chunk. And she's got those great little baby thighs! Mmmm, just love 'em to pieces! :-)

Ok, off to eat brownies and read. (We had to incorporate food into our Farmer Boy reading - who was it that switched to reading it at breakfast b/c they kept getting hungry? I totally get that now. LOL.)

Dy

Anonymous said...

We had a flood in our kitchen this summer which entailed getting a new floor and my daughter's room being entirely done. You have been so patient through your renovations. I only had a few months of it.

I admire you for it.

I love the floor, and the little happy faces in the pictures, too!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Smidge and Miss Emily are so adorable! You should post pictures more often. :)

I really love your flooring. It looks a little like what we put in our kitchen recently.

Oh, and the arch is lovely! Did it come with the house, or did you design it yourself? It is a really nice line - sort of peaceful and gentle, if that makes any sense when talking about architecture.

Melora said...

The new floor is Gorgeous!!! (I also love the new drywall & paint!) Wow!
Miss Emily looks so pleased! She has such a beautiful smile.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dy, it looks awesome. I love your arch, and the kids are way too cute. :)

Hey, when we buy a house, can we hire y'all? :D

Brandie said...

Everything is absolutely gorgeous - the floor, the arch, the kids! I'm so amazed at what you are doing with that house.

Anonymous said...

Good job, guys!! And please put some bricks on the childrens' heads to keep them from growing up so fast ;) Emily looks more and more like Smidge everytime I see her! So cute, all of them.

~em

Thom said...

WOW! The place looks AWESOME!! I love the floor--it's really beautiful! And Smidge and Miss Emily are just the cutest little things!! Thanks for sharing the pics!

H said...

Oh! You are teasing me! I can read all of your wonderfully descriptive descriptions, but I can't see any pictures! Only teeny, tiny boxes with red X's.

Maybe Blogger photo is having issues tonight?

I'll try it again later.

Hillary :)

H said...

Oh! Now I see them! Yay! The floor looks beautiful! It's fun to look at the changes that have happened in less than a year.

Good work!

Hillary :)

L said...

Beautiful! Both the kids and the renovation!

Love the green (I remember the difficulty with the paint selection process!)

I'll be looking for you in the pages of one of those home and garden type mags...

: )

J-Lynn said...

I need some sock sliding pics! I'm demanding.

Emily is so cute! And Smidge of course as well.

The floors look BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to visit, you guys have really done so much. It doesn't feel like you've been there a year already to me!

Anonymous said...

You guys are AMAZING! Everything looks great...the floor, the kids...the arch...all of it. I LOVE it! Congratulations!

Donna Boucher said...

I swear I left a comment yesterday.

A well.

I just wanted to tell you...
your children are beautiful and your floor is fantastic!

Amber said...

It looks great - good job!!!

I bet it is so nice to see that every time you look down the hall. You all have created such a dramatic transformation in your home!