Thursday, November 9

Quick Checklist

Luncheon: check.
Cute kids at luncheon who did not snort food out their noses or make bodily function jokes: check.
Lovely day with friends: check.
Empty kitchen: oh, I've run out of checks!

We left here yesterday way too early to be leaving the house, and although we headed out from the arsenal almost an hour after everyone else (because, yes, we are always late - it's in our genetic code), we still arrived in time for the mass seating at the luncheon. *whew* We may not be faster than a speeding bullet, but we've learned how to dodge them quite well. Yay us! The spread was lovely, the staff at the restaurant was delightful. The kids were in good form, and we enjoyed visiting, eating, and visiting a bit more.

Me-Wa and Me-Tae invited us to stop by their place on the way home. They're always enjoyable to visit with, and it's so neat to see how their place is coming along. And the kids really love them. We're so blessed to have them living here now. Terry (Smidge's "Me-Tae") is so kind and so gracious. I'm hoping some of that gentleness she has will wear off on me. And as for the guys, well, it's seldom men really form those lifelong bonds of friendship, but Ward (Smidge's "Me-Wa") and Zorak really have. They laugh without restraint, talk politics and religion without anybody's nose getting bent. They enjoy one another on a level I rarely see men enjoying their associations. So, while Me-Wa and Me-Tae probably collapse on the couch in utter exhaustion when we pull out of the drive, we sure do enjoy the time we spend with them.

Today came way too early. Oy. But in a bit, I'll start the Unloading of the Kitchen. It'll be a good time to purge and sort, too. The new pantry order has been held off until this weekend, as Zorak remembered that Home Depot offers 10% off for Veterans. *grin* That's worth the wait. (I just hope I can remember where we hid his DD214!) 911 has been programmed into my cell phone, and James has instructions to follow in case "Plan A" falls through. Er, wait, I shouldn't use the term "falls through". Um, "doesn't go quite as planned". Yes, that's better. More comforting than the thought of our island lying on the floor of the basement with us under it.

Oh, and Susie! I can't find another way to contact you, so I hope you see this. I would love any recipes you'd be willing to share. Our only restriction is wheat free, but we work with a lot of the other allergen-free recipes, too, so that we're ready to bring food to gatherings for just about anyone. For the house, though, we can use yeast and dairy and whatever else. Thank you so much for your offer.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Melora said...

I wondered what Plan B was! I hope all goes smoothly & you get to order the pantry with that nice 10% discount. Ed and Dan were messing with our upstairs shower yesterday, and I was standing at the kitchen sink when I realized that I was directly beneath the 300+ lb shower base (the ancient one) that they were trying to manhandle back onto the roof beams behind the bathroom so they could put the new base in place. I could just picture that thing crashing through the ceiling and crushing me flat (before continuing to the basement) as I stood at my new sink, and I quickly decided to wash dishes later. I hope your island behaves itself.

Dy said...

Oh, Melora! Good call. The dishes can wait! (How'd it go w/ the shower? Did you blog it? *ahem* hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

You know, I just realized that with the boys now at the age where they can call 911 and bring help (and we don't have to rely on Balto to play Lassie, which wouldn't turn out well at all), we can probably do a lot more that we'e been putting off b/c of the sheer probability of needing an EMT. This is handy!

Dy

Anonymous said...

Dude, 10% off at Home Depot, how did I miss that? We are so there. I have been wanting to order a new light or chandlier of some sorts for over the dining room table plus some wall sconces, that all scream "I'm a brass child of the 90's!).
So glad the luncheon went well. Gotta love eating someone else's cooking, even if it is a restaurant. Yay for a meal you don't have to cook and clean up.

-dawn

Anonymous said...

LMBO at Balto playing Lassie, considering the disparaging comments you've made on that poor dog's intelligence. :) Our dog was incredibly intelligent, but I don't think she could have managed a Lassie either. We did have a cat whom I still believe was smart enough to go for help if needed. However, I also still maintain that she was EVIL and would have enjoyed watching me die a slow and painful death. Cats are like that sometimes. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh.....the elusive DD214. I cannot tell you how many times great happiness, and indeed our very EXISTENCE has been held in the balance while we searched for the DD214. You'd think I would take better care of something like that!!

Sounds like y'all had a great day.I can't believe that you got torn away from the flooring!

Becca said...

Sounds like a great day! It's so rare to find couple friend where both spouses like both spouses. Those friends are priceless!

Anonymous said...

Just hoping everything goes better than the projections, what with all the children calling 911 and islands crashing through the floor.

LOL!

Laney said...

LOL, Staci!!

I've been catching up and, BOY OH BOY, do I love the floors!! You rock, momma!

Glad to see that all is well. I got a good guffaw out of the "dodging bullets" comment. Is that another hunting reference? *grin*

ang said...

So glad you all had a good outing.My husband is a vetran but we have no home depot :(