Tuesday, November 14

Missed it by "that much".

Drat. The new positions of the printer cabinet and the computer desk have left me without photo upload abilities. The cord is about two feet too short.

James made his first loaf of bread today. All on his own - prep, mixing, proofing, shaping and baking. I was there mainly to remind him not to measure right on the edge of the counter, to keep stirring, and not to measure right there, on the edge, of the counter.

He used the "Learning Loaf" from Marilyn M. Moore's The Wooden Spoon Bread Book, which is a wonderful one-loaf recipe that's easy for small hands to manipulate. The loaf turned out beautifully, not even "for a first loaf", but really nicely done. He was so proud. He ran about giving everyone a piece of bread, and while he'd originally thought he'd just eat the whole thing in one sitting (probably all alone, in the closet), the delight everybody else took in his creation called for cinnamon sugar toast all around! John is now anxious to make his first loaf of bread, and Smidge is really happy to have fresh bread any time he wants.

The others are still sick. Miss Emily has figured out what those white floaty things in the boxes are for, and she's not impressed. Thankfully, she hasn't begun Smidge's tactical maneuver of wiping the snot on a sleeve just seconds before the tissue comes within range. It won't take long, I'm sure. Right now, she's under the illusion that she can simply outpace us. It's cute, but kind of sad, because she's honestly baffled that we catch her every. single. time.

Going barefoot seems to be Miss Emily's answer to the traction issue. (Tried the shoes - she was having none of that, thank you for trying.) So, she stands at the diswasher and talks with me while I tidy the kitchen. I don't get much done, for all the staring down toward my knees and cooing to the baby, but it does make the chores a lot of fun.

You know, Zorak rebounds from these renovation pushes much more quickly than I do. Just thought I'd put that out there. We haven't even purchased baseboards yet, and he's already dreaming of vaulting the living room ceiling, adding the den, and turning the master bath into a closet. The most encouragement I can offer him, as I rub my toes back and forth on the floor, is a weak, "Yeah... that'll be... *gulp* great." Poor guy. He needed a wife with stamina. What he got is a wife with a sense of humor. Ah, well, whatever works, right?

I got a delightful surprise yesterday morning! Just the day prior, I was thinking that we hadn't had one of those beautiful, sparkling, fog-drenched mornings yet - the ones where the barn is just a shadowy sillhouette in a shimmering pool off in the distance. I loved those last year, and isn't it about time for more of those? Well, yesterday I walked into the living room to find everything illuminated by a diffused, glowing light. Looked out the window, and there it was - a Faerie Morning! Ohhhh, coffe just tastes better in that kind of weather.

And now, as part of my plan not to drive myself into an early grave, I'm going to head to bed before midnight! Woohoo!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love walking the dog on foggy mornings. There's something mysterious and lovely about it, something makes me quiet and deliberate. And yes, the coffee does taste better.

mere said...

What is it about having your nose wiped that kids hate so much? Sarah Jane cannot stand it either. Does Emily "help" you at the dishwasher? I get lots of "help", too...I really hope the willingness to help lasts into the teen years! Bravo to James for his baking endeavors!

Guess what? My sewing machine is fixed! I may be sewing tonight...I'll keep you posted!

mere

Heidicrafts said...

I had to chuckle. I choose the very same quote for the title of my blog entry today, too.

Anonymous said...

I have a sneaky suspicion that Zorak KNOWS that he married a girl with a sense of humor...AND STAMINA! What a combo!

Bob and Claire said...

Way to go, James! The bread sounds awesome, and I am sure that you would have had a VERY hard itme squirreling it away in the closet to eat by yourself, because I bet it smelled so delicious when it was baking!! : )

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try that recipe with the girls -- I am very selfish with my bread baking and need to model sharing more!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I typed that comment thinking I'd click the link later -- only it turns out it was just a book title. I'll have to find it now!