Wednesday, November 22

My eyes hurt!

They're watery and twitchy. No, I'm not sick. I've just been putting together a Christmas wishlist for the boys today. They've spent the last week pouring over catalogs, although oddly enough, only at my insistance. I don't know if they're just used to never getting what they'd really like (anybody remember the breeding elves?), or what it is, but it took some serious tooth-pulling to get either of them to sit down with a marker and circle things they'd like. Normally, it's not much of a problem. They've always been so easy to shop for. But this year... this is the first year I've noticed that I'm *officially* clueless. The things I ooohhh and aahhhhh over, thinking they'd just go nuts about, they give me the same look I gave my mother the year she bought me a complete bedding ensemble that every six-year old girl dreams of... and I was 14. I try to keep in mind my own mortification at that time, and encourage them to guide me and keep me from going down that ugly, confusing road.

James did circle two items from the Mindware catalog. That gave me a place to start, at least. Then, when I logged into the Mindware website, he knew all about so many of the items and said, "OH, that looked really neat!" or "I would LOVE this one!" Well why didn't you mark it in the catalog, you goofball? Maybe he was just trying not to be greedy. *sigh*

So, I've got a wishlist started at Amazon. I noticed that I'd also started one, um, back in 2004, but I didn't start it until something like the 20th of December, and by then nobody needed ideas for the boys, so we never had a chance to play with it. (Beethoven's Wig is still on there, though - *I* really want that one! *grin*) Right now, it's just things we think the boys would like. Tomorrow, we'll get online with each one and let them each browse and pick. It's going to have to be them. There's so much junk available out there that I felt dizzy after sorting through it today. Hopefully, they'll have some ideas to start us off and we can get it figured out (and then, ordered and shipped without having to pay overnight shipping! WOOHOO!)

We're just getting too old for The Last Minute. Halloween about did me in. *wink*

And I know I've posted this place before, but if you haven't checked it out, you really need to. Even if you're done shopping. Just the catalog blurbs alone are worth perusing (although, seriously, they do get some mighty nifty stuff, particularly if you like things a bit quirky): American Science and Surplus. I have literally laughed aloud while reading through their Christmas catalog this week.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Hey, good for you! We have done this several times- either in Hearthsong, Magic Cabin, or last year, the Rainbow Resource Christmas catalog. Lots of good stuff in all of those catalogs.

I think we are all just going to make each other something this year. That's my druthers, anyhow.

Happy Turkey Day tomorrow. Just think of me, I will be the one lounging around, NOT cooking! Tee hee for me.
LB

J-Lynn said...

I think I may go the PVC route for Craig this year.

We have our list at etoys.com It makes things so much easier for the relatives and for us because they get things they actually play with. ;-)

Oh and BTW, the in-laws bought us a webcam becuase they wanted to have video conferences with the kids - we're going to have fun again! lol

Hugs,
Jess

Anonymous said...

The last minute is NOT fun. My beloved had mandatory fun days at work this week, so we went together on Monday, but Tuesday, he took all the kids but Rosie with him, and I (and Rosie) went Christmas shopping! I'm only about six gifts short now, and those will be ordered online and shipped to the house. I REFUSE to go shopping *out there* at this time of year! (And we have the kids make lists every year. Some of the stuff my non-TV-watching kids want is enlightening, to say the least!)

Heidicrafts said...

I have a CD of Beethoven's Wig and you may have it. The kids didn't really get into it, my husband doesn't like the idea of putting lyrics to classics, on general principal, so it has been gathering dust in my basement.

Leave a comment at my blog if you're interested.
www.heidicrafts.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Dy, I bookmarked that catalog when you mentioned it before and it is a blast to browse through.

My children had no problem rattling off a long list of items they want. I think they're advanced. That must be it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Delaina said...

Beethoven's Wig is great!! We actually have a copy from the library right now. After checking it out 3 different times, I think I'm going to get it for them (all of us, really) for Christmas.

Ohhh, can you do the can-can? If you can than I can!

Love it!

My children have poured over catalogues for the last 2 weeks. They've marked it with Sharpie and initialed each circle. We have very clear ideas as to what they would like. As to what they'll be getting...I'm praying for a small Christmas this year. We'll see if the in-laws can behave themselves. *rolling eyes*

Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving!!

Gobble-gobble-gobble

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop in and say Happy Thanksgiving :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, we just got the Mindware catalog! I just love it, and now am reconsidering the one-gift-per-child limit we have placed upon ourselves. My friend I babysit for and her son were over for Thanksgiving dinner today, she and I spent at least an hour poring over it while the kids played. The 4-person Mancala game is my current favorite.