Friday, November 3

Home Renovation & Educational Maintenance

The hallway is almost ready to receive flooring. I've spent the last few days putzing about in there, getting all my stuff out of the way. Zorak spent tonight trimming door moulding. How exciting! We're still lacking three doors for the various openings in the hallway, but those are easy enough to put in after the floor is laid.

Since the kids survived running the gauntlet with me yesterday, I determined today would be A Good Day, with plenty of time to play, plenty of stories to read, plenty of time to just be. It worked. They played outside quite a bit, both the older ones spent over an hour this afternoon reading. Smidge and Miss Emily got extra snuggles and wrestling time and Stories For Little Guys. I set up James with his Latin, put Miss Emily down for a nap, and spent time doing a little one-on-one Latin work with John. (James graciously allowed Smidge to drive his little cars all over his head, back, and book while he worked. That child is so wonderful to his brothers!) Then John took Smidge outside and James and I worked one-on-one with his math while I prepared lunch. Today had a great rhythm.

We made a yeast-free breakfast bread, which turned out both delicious and beautiful. Then, while we were on a roll, we attempted Ms. Hagman's yeast-free bean bread again. Twice. I don't think we can eat that much bread pudding. And I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that's causing every loaf to implode like this. I cut the liquid by almost a full cup in this last batch, and while it was decidedly better, it still wasn't something I'd feed anyone not obligated to eat my cooking.

The boys are really taken in by both our current read-alouds: Farmer Boy and The Battle of Troy. Of course, the stories appeal to each boy in a different way, and James always wants to hear more Farmer Boy, whereas John's dying for me to read more Troy.

We wrapped up the majority of our prolonged Greece study tonight with a vase project. I don't think they're going to use the black figure or red figure painting (namely because I found our stash of paint, and we have no red). The vases really turned out great, though. James sculpted Balto, complete with three dimensional features, "almond eyes", and a bone tag on the collar, then wrapped the sculpture around the body of his vase. Very cool design. John built miniature ships which he attached to the rim of his vase. The rim has waves on it, to emulate a sea, and there's even a gargantuan cannon ball mid-way between the ships. I don't know how well the overall design will survive, but the concept is awesome. We'll bake them tomorrow and paint them in the afternoon, when the boys are tired of playing outside and we're knee-deep in flooring and underlayment.

Any suggestions for keeping a baby occupied and out of the way while laying floors?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Becca said...

What a fabulous homeschool day!! Your boys are so sweet with each other. Good luck with the floor, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

mere said...

Jake adores Farmer Boy, and reads it over and over. It's one of his favorites!

Perhaps a Johnny Jump Up or some kind of apparatus that attaches to a door frame for Emily? Where she can watch you, but be out of the way...Either that or grow a Kangeroo pouch.

Anonymous said...

We've just started Little House in the Big Woods. It took a couple of chapters before Jared got into it, but he's enjoying it now and looking forward to the rest of the series. :)

Dy said...

Thanks, guys. We've been meaning to get a Johnny Jump Up. This may be just the time to do it.

Mere, Farmer Boy is something James is identifying with. The age of the boy and all those responsibilities. And Almanzo doesn't "forget" stuff. Hee hee. Oh, let this be an inspiration! LOL.

KathyJo, it took the boys a wee bit to get into the Little House in the Big Woods, too. There's a lot of humor in it, though, and they really got a kick out of it. The next one isn't as engaging on it's own, but by then, the kids are hooked on the characters so they enjoy that, as well.

Dy

Meliss said...

Oh, I hope you post pictures of the boys' vases! Several years ago, we did a Greek vase project. I dressed the boys in white t-shirts with the sleeves rolled up and gathered at the shoulders to simulate togas and took their pictures with their vases. Matthew was very attached to the vases even when they started crumbling. His eyes filled with tears at the thought of getting rid of them. We had to get rid of them after he knocked one off of the bookcase onto his head, shattering it... Your boys' vases sound wonderful!

Isn't it nice when siblings love each other and play so well together?!

Another piece of baby equipment that can be entertaining is an exersaucer. I have a borrowed one from in-laws and when my sister's 9 month old visited, he played for quite awhile in it.

I hope your floor project goes smoothly. Looking forward to pictures!

ang said...

wow those sculptures sound awesome! I hope you were able to get the baby occupied so you could get the floors done.

Bob and Claire said...

Well, I'll just echo everyone else--a Johnny Jump Up is what popped into my mind as well. Anna loves hers. And my boys loved Farmer Boy as well. Reading about all the food Mother had to cook to keep those busy kids fed made me tired! I guess I'm glad we don't live on a farm back then, because I feel like I cook enough now and they are still always hungry! : )