Thursday, November 2

Friday already?

Tomorrow can't be Friday! It's just... just, well, there was Wednesday, I think. But where'd the REST of the week go? In hindsight, we've accomplished quite a bit, but it just doesn't feel like an entire week has passed.

We are not leaving the house next week at all, if I can help it. Ugh. Oh, poop. Nevermind. I think we have a luncheon to go to next week in Lynchburg. How much Rescue Remedy does it take to build up a good, calm level in the bloodstream? Is it too late to start putting in in our breakfast drinks?

Today was The Errand-Filled Day From Hell. *insert spooky noises, screams of tortured children, er, souls, and flames - lots of flames* Whew, we're bushed! We hit Aldi's, Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and Costco. I haven't done groceries for two weeks, and after today, I may not do them again for another two weeks. Fortunately, the Costco runs are only once a month. We are thoroughly prepared for several potential situations, however: unexpected company, growth spurts, overnight famine. Then we stopped at Me-Wa's and Me-Tae's for a visit. (We were sure Smidge was going to just walk the 50 miles to their house if we didn't go visit soon.) Had a lovely visit. Life is good. And the kidlets? Sleeping like couch potatoes after a triathalon. It's beautiful.

Productivity seems to be the theme for this fall. I have no idea how that happened, but there you have it. The boys love getting checklists each morning (I use the ones from Chart Jungle), and in the process of putting something together for them, it's inevitable that I also must have some idea what's happening. Next thing you know, Zorak's coming home and we've been busy all day long. Constructively, productively busy. With free time, even, to play in the leaves and run from the dog.

Meals seem to be coming easier, also (both ideas and timing). I've really got to thank Miss Maggie for that end of it. There's only so much you can do with hamburger, but it's evidently quite a lot more than I knew before. I need to spend a little more time stewing over lunch ideas (I really hate fixing lunch), but in general, it's getting easier to meet the needs of the crew with a good attitude and good food, you know, before nine PM - a winning combination in any book!

So in the vein of productivity, Friday will bring us more sorting, more cleaning, more decluttering. More second declension nouns, more math and more reading. We'll be spending time in the woods of New York, and on the shores of Troy. We'll probably bake some bread and paint some, erm, trim (it's okay, I laugh when I say that, too). But you never know. This is a magical season. It could happen. We'll move from Venus to Mars, and make some pottery. It will be a busy, productive day. And at the end, when it's quiet once again, I'm still going to be truly puzzled how this happened. Some mysteries are sweeter left unsolved, though, I think. (It's that, or admit that I'm getting old and uncomfortable with spontaneity. So let's stick with "mysteries", okay? Thanks.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

ang said...

Productivity is a wonderful thing!You all are just doing great!Im in admiration in what you are able to accomplish in a week at times:) with the house, kids ,baking and even making costumes. You Rock as my 13 year old would say.

Jules said...

Oh My Gosh! Thanks for that awesome Hillbilly Housewife link!

Methinks this is going to be my new favorite site.

Amy said...

I too am so excited on the days that we don't have to leave to house. Just the thought of going to four stores, in one trip, with my group makes me shudder. Two is about the most we can accomplish sanely. A lot of the time it is just me - There are days I don't cope to well with John Q. Public.

Here's to a quiet, peaceful, productive day.

And, thanks for the link to the charts.

Amy in Apex

Becca said...

I'm not leaving the house today, either!! We had to go to 6 banks the other day--with all kids in tow, and it was not my best day ever, to say the least. Good luck with all your projects today!

Melora said...

Sounds like a great plan! Thanks for the reminder about Hillbilly Housewife!

Ernest said...

I'm usually the one that has to go out and rub elbows with the mensch. Kat has been known to stay inside the house for months on end. In winter months I wish I could just board up the doors and join her.

As for lunches, here's my lazy man tip: Make extra for dinner. I try and make sure that when I'm throwing down ingredients for my mis en place at dinner, I throw down a little extra for lunch tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I love Hillbilly Housewife! Her beginner bread recipe was the first loaf of bread I ever baked! Another really good menu-planning site is Menus 4 Moms. All down to earth meals -- no breakfasts or lunches, just dinners -- but most importantly, it's free. I don't use every recipe every week, but it gives me a place to start for ideas.