Monday, November 20

Home Remodel - Kids' Rooms

OK, I'm no longer on the lam... Yay! For anyone interested in the play-by-play slideshow, complete with excuses, I mean, comments, you can view the pictures here.

For the less motivated (or those on dialup), here's a quick shot of direct before and afters. I tried to get shots from the same angles. Interestingly, there is only one existing photo of the nursery from its days as a blacklight bong water dormitory. Huh. Imagine that. So, in brief, here's the nursery:



As you can see, we still have "storage issues" to address. That will come. (Hopefully, so will closet doors!) There aren't many photos of this transformation, because this room was the first bedroom we did - it had to be ready by the time Miss Emily made her grand debut. So, we were a bit under the gun, as the kitchen and bath also had to be done fairly soon after we moved in. So. Well, there ya go.

The next set of pictures is from the boys' room. We took a little more time with this one. (As in, we still aren't completely done. We get to the trimming of the closets and sort of wander off to work on something else. It's a theme - you'll notice it with the other two bedrooms, as well. In ten years, when I get around to posting those pictures.) Again, more detail, and more photos are in the slideshow. This is just a brief before and after, side-by-side comparison. I give you, The Boys' Room:



I included that bottom picture for two reasons: it's really cute, and it shows the toy shelves we built. This was a quick and easy project, the fruit of my warped desire to make stuff and Zorak's equally warped need to make certain it's solid. We'll be building another one to put in the nursery, which will hopefully address some of the storage issues mentioned above. It's designed to hold three of the larger Sterlite bins, or four of the smaller ones, on each shelf.

Well, time to go play!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

18 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Wow! How wonderful! Such warm, comfortable, happy looking rooms!
It is amazing to me just how much all y'all have done in a year!
Very proud of all of you!
LB

Amy said...

What great pictures!! The rooms look wonderful! The boys are going to have such fond memories of the house 'they built' when they get older. I love what you have done - and really if you all ever want to come back through central NC and give me some remodeling/decorating advice your welcome. And if you want to stay awhile and actually show us how - even better!

Amy

Jules said...

Yay!! Isn't it nice to be able to see the progress? I mean, actually posting the before and after pictures somehow helps to see that, "Yeah, we really have gotten a lot done around here!"

Way to go!!

Laura said...

Your before and after pictures are inspirational - I wish I had your energy and momentum to get our old house finished. Y'all have managed an amazing transformation!

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've been to your blog. Love the before and afters. We did some major stuff on our house this year too. It's looking like this WON'T be our forever home, though. :(

Also, we are also a libertarian-leaning homeschool family! It's good to know that there is another one on the WTM boards!

Anonymous said...

I am continually in awe of y'all. :) And I'm cracking up that the toy shelves are a "quick and easy" project for y'all. That would take us weeks, and we might not be speaking to one another at the end of it. Well, and it would probably fall apart when the boys put toys on it. ;)

I'll take four of them, please. I'll send PayPal. :D

Dy said...

Thanks, guys. The boys love their rooms.

KathyJo, really, those are easy. One sheet of cabinet-grade plywood and a couple sticks of wood (I think it was 1x2). E-a-s-y.

Anon, thanks for stopping by. There are a few of us out there. ;-)

Laura, oh, I wish we could have found a great old house like yours - your front porch gives me warm fuzzies! :-)

Jules, yeah, they do help, don't they? Maybe we should hang them around the house for when we need a little motivation?

Amy, we could help w/ the structural end, but the decorating end - we're really bad at that. That's the part where we end up taking a month to decide one thing, have two or three good meltdowns, and then emerge with some shade of yellow as the main theme. You really don't want our help on that!

LB, thanks. And thanks for the chat last night. :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

You're amazing! I love the pictures.

We seem to follow the Roscoe P. and KathyJo path through home improvement. Nothing falls apart, but we really aren't people that should be under stress *and* holding tools at the same time.

mere said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Will you come do my house?

You should be so proud of yourselves and your boys. Really super job!

mere

Brandie said...

Wow. The rooms look wonderful! You and your husband are very talented! I'm so impressed ... I might have to call your family to come help us out LOL!

H said...

Oh! They looked great! I wondered how the colors in the boys' room worked out.

I was so surprised by how much Smidge has changed over the year. The "bigs" have as well, but it's so much more dramatic with the smaller ones.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

The rooms look incredible. You should submit the before and after pictures to Better Homes or something!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

You guys have done amazing things with that house. Amazing. I would have totally lost it and moved along by now. It looks beautiful.

Delaina said...

I loved looking at all the pictures!

Amazing! The accomplishments you've made over this last year are just unreal to me. I love the picture of Smidge pulling the nails out. He's so cute. They are all so adorable but you know that already :). To think, they get to take such a major part in the memories of establishing and maintaining their home. And all the memories to come in your Forever Home...

I can't wait to see more pictures! Even if it is 10 years from now ;0).

Now that you've given me the inspiration to finish trimming and painting our dining room (you know, to see that end result), I'm off :-).

Hope y'all have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The rooms look competely different after you've done them -- they are beautiful! Love the shelving, too.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous!

Meliss said...

Beautiful! You all have accomplished so much. Your house will always be so dear to you with all the work you have put into it.

When our first was in utero, James and I took a woodworking class and built a large bookcase. We never finished it, though. It sits useless in our garage. I'm put to shame by the likes of you! :o

Anonymous said...

O.K.- Love the pics, y'all are amazin' and all, and everything looks great(which I KNEW it would), but the thing that really popped out for me was YOU! HOW on God's green earth do you look THAT good working THAT hard? Seriously, girl.....you are unbelievable!

Everything looks fabulous!