Monday, June 26

We Made It

Or, to be a bit more specific, We Very Nearly Made It. We got up, dressed, fed (albeit lightly - smoothies, fruit and toast make for a lousy breakfast - we would die off, and be quite grouchy about it in the process, if we were forced to become vegetarians!) and out the door in time to make it to Sunday School. The Very Nearly part comes in because, technically, the boys' classes were doing their Opening Ceremonies thing when we arrived. BUT, they had not gone to their 'age appropriate' holding pens yet, and so, that totally counts! SCORE!

About three minutes into class, Smidge announced (to everyone in the room) that he had to pee. Now. Let's go! We shuffled off to the nursery (aka - nearest facility - I know better than to try to make it down the gauntlet, uh, hallway festooned with classroom art.) I handed Miss Emily off to Sweet Tiffany, who works in the nursery on Sundays, and bolted to the facility just in time to prevent Smidge from starting a streaking career. Dancing, high-fives and general happiness ensued.

As we washed our hands, Smidge spied a toy he wanted to play with. Um... well, yes, you can play with that, but you'll need to play with it in here. We can't take it out of the room. "OK, Mama. You go. I'll play." As this strange alien changeling took the toy and plopped down on the floor to play, Tiffany, Nice Mrs. B, and I stared after him as if none of us knew who this kid was or how he got in. Wow, that's new! I did a quick head count: three adults, and only three children. "Um, would it be okay if Miss Emily stayed for Sunday School, too?" :-) I slipped out, kept my ears perked (our class meets in the room adjoining the nursery), and enjoyed the study tremendously. The pace of the class seems much slower when one isn't also tending to two children.

When the boys and I retrieved Smidge, Miss Emily was sound asleep. I think Tiffany is the one person in the nursery I'm comfortable leaving the children with, which had a lot to do with the next step I took. However, there was also the decadent thought of sitting through the service with only three children... it was like the siren's song and there was nobody to lash me to the mast! We ran for it, enjoyed snack and fellowship and then the four of us slipped quietly into the sanctuary. The service was wonderful. It was good to be able to spend time instructing the boys on the liturgy, the order of worship, and the whole point of the service. Miss Emily was up and happy when the service ended, so there wasn't any residual guilt stuck to me as we left the building.

The rest of the day was laundry, cleaning, laundry, and a nap that I tried very hard not to take.

Smidge ate the cheese off his chili at supper, then turned his nose up at the rest of it, so we got ready for bed before the boys and were able to spend extra time reading Smidge-Speed books. We took our time finding all the buildings in Geoppolis. We talked about moles and tugboats with Scuffy. We looked at spiders. But mostly, we cuddled. We smiled. We shared eskimo kisses and head 'nuggles. By the time the boys were ready for a story, Smidge was out cold, his little heart all tanked up and happy.

We are revisiting The Borrowers. I was pregnant last time we tried, and although I loved the book when I was a child, it pretty much knocked me out last fall when I tried reading it to the boys. Two chapters in, though, and I think we're going to make it!

James just finished Owls in the Family and asked for more books by Mowat. He's collected quite a list of authors he'd like to read more of this summer. I suppose it's time to go pay the late fees we owe the Madison County library.

John got a little extra attention and grace this weekend, which seems to be exactly what he was needing. Rather than being a BIG BROTHER, at the moment he's feeling quite mired in MIDDLE CHILD SYNDROME. It's rough to be standing in this chaos we've built, let alone standing in it with one foot in the "young man" realm and the other foot still dragging heavily in the "little guy" realm. We spent some time reassurring him - through actions moreso than words - that it's okay to be in the places inbetween. You don't have to heave yourself up onto the next step of the ladder in one bound. We love you, and we've got your back. I think we all need that reassurrance once in a while, but we don't always know how to go about asking for it.

And Miss Emily has a new nickname: Girlzilla. The boys made it up. She's discovered the joy of knocking down towers. Or, rather, I suspect she's discovered the joy of making her brothers laugh. That they build things for her to knock down is simply a handy avenue through which she can achieve that goal. They'll build something just within her reach, then stand back and watch with anticipation. She'll knock it down, then immediately look at them and raise her eyebrows expectantly. They'll roll with laughter, and she'll squeal and start chewing on some part of the structure until they gather the parts to do it again. What fun!

I'm going to put Girlzilla back to bed and get some rest, myself. Tomorrow will, hopefully, be a Very Busy Day!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Amy said...

Good on ya! I remember when Peyton was a babe, and I was just about to give up on church until she left for college, when the day came that she played happily across the hall with a sweet grandma while I sat and listened, and absorbed the sermon. It's so great when that happens!

Luke just started Owls in the Family, and is disturbed that these kids are trying to steal a baby owl. I hope he ends up enjoying it more.

Bob and Claire said...

I'm so glad Smidge is feeling more comfortable in the nursery AND doing well on his pottytraining! Yay! Sounds like church was great overall yesterday!

Owls in the Family was a big hit here too. We read The Dog That Wouldn't Be (also by Mowat) as a read-aloud, but while the boys enjoyed it, I do think it was a little over their heads in some parts. I love Mowat as a writer though!

Melora said...

I can just picture Emily as Girlzilla! How sweet! What a lucky little girl to have three doting older brothers.
It is wonderful that you have someone you trust with your littles in the nursery. Neither of mine would ever stay in the nursery with out Ed or me.

Emily said...

Sounds like all of your little ones (and not-so-little-ones) are all finding their nitch. How wonderful!

And how wonderful that Smidge loves the nursery! W still sits with us through "big-people" church. He actually does quite well, as long as there is some sort of food to be had when the preaching starts.

Has Smidge gotten over the "no-solids-in-the-potty" thing? If so, do you have any pointers for us? We are still struggling!

~Em

Amber said...

Ah, that sounds like a great day! I love "Girlzilla"- that is really funny. I can just so picture it! Gregory finds just about anything Emma does absolutely hysterical. He particularly likes her dancing and singing, so we've been treated to a lot of that these days. :-) Emma tends to be a little too enraptured with her towers to let Gregory knock them over, but we're working on that... because otherwise in a few months when he starts getting mobile (gack! I am so not ready for that!) we are going to have a very unhappy big sister.

"a nap that I tried so hard not to take" LOL - yes indeed. I've managed not to do that for a whole week now, although I almost succumbed on Saturday.

Dy said...

Amy, I tried to get more information out of James to see if he had anything I could pass along to Luke, but he was a little squirrelly today. He did mention that some kids were throwing rocks at the little owls, but that the owls ended up okay. :-S Eek!

Emily, the boys do stay with us for "big people church". Normally, Emily does, too, but since she was asleep... :-) I'm really thankful he's not terrified of the nursery anymore. It's not something I want to rely on, but by the same token, it's so much easier to change Emily's diaper in there without Smidge tapping my leg and saying the whole time, "Let's go. We go now. C'mon, let's go, Mama. Out. Ready to go!"

He *is* over the solids issue. (I've just tried very hard to blog for a few days straight w/o mentioning the potty. *grin*) The trick for him? FIVE potty treats! That's right, big fella, F-I-V-E! All your fingers, on either hand. All yours! WOOHOO! What's funny, though, is that he'll pick in his five a yellow one and a red one and he gives them to the boys, so he really only gets three in the end. :-)

Amber, I think it's good to succumb once in a while. ;-) The tower thing is cute right now because it's the towers they set up for her. We'll be facing the wild shrieks of indignation in another few months when she's mobile and her selection of things to knock down expands a bit. The dancing and singing are wonderful, aren't they? And the squeals of delight that follow. Ahhh, this is such good stuff!

Dy