Friday, June 23

Ahh, sweet end of day

There is, perhaps, no softer, sweeter feeling than that of getting a few minutes one-on-one snuggle time with each child as you tuck them into bed. Somehow, that quiet time of touching base makes the whole unruly mess of the day recede into the background, making way for the hope of tomorrow, and the unending comfort of unconditional love. It goes both ways, and it is oh-so-good.

Had a busy day, but everything seemed to go wrong. Just plain wrong, from beginning to end. We went to the wrong park for playdate, and that's just the culminating fiasco in the whole getting-out-of-the-house saga that hallmarked this morning. This afternoon, we bought veggies and that was about it. Had more to purchase, but it wasn't going to happen today. Nope. I may have to start shopping online, although that will require a bit more proactivity on my part (ie. planning ahead).

While I'm thinking of it, I found two sites this week that I thought were worth noting. I've just left them up all week, because my bookmarks are a hideous mess and although I don't ever buy much online, I wanted to remember them. So, here ya go (then y'all can remind me that I blogged about them when I'm pondering their actual existence in a year, okay?)

Do It Yourself Pest Control. Saw this site recommended on the WTM boards, and blew two full nights checking it out. (Gee, I wonder why it caught my attention? *grin*) Not only is it informative, but the lady who recommended it said she's been quite happy with her business dealings thus far. Worth looking at!

Make Your Own Stamps. Zazzle is a site that I could easily get so lost in that it would take a full-blown rescue operation to help me find my way back again. Stuff you didn't know you needed, stuff you didn't realize was possible. This particular link looks particularly neat, and someday, when I actually mail out Christmas cards, I think it'd be nice to have specialized stamps made. These stamps are authorized postage for the USPS, so have fun!

Oh, oh, oh! Smidge is on DAY TWO of staying totally dry. Totally clean. Totally not eating good foods because of all the potty treats he has consumed. WAH-HOO!!!

Let's see, what else is there? Didn't do much on the house today. Well, *I* didn't. I just cleaned up my mess from yesterday's work. Zorak, however, got the main vent cleaned and about half the runs to the registers cleaned. That, after working a full day. He is my hero.

We had a nice, cool supper: grilled chicken, rice, applesauce, and cucumbers (sliced, then soaked in salt and vinegar/water, chilled - WONDERFUL on a hot summer evening!) I was going to serve iced water and iced tea, but somebody - probably a boy whose name begins with "J" - used all but five ice cubes from the freezer while giving the dog water tonight. So the dog has a mountain of deliciously cooled ice to nibble on this evening and we drank lukewarm tap water. That part wasn't so refreshing. But did I mention the cucumbers were nice?

Tomorrow, more windows, more trim. I'm sure reading about painting is about as much fun as watching it dry, so I'll try to think of something slightly more scintillating to write about. The HVAC Guy is coming, too, I think. I should see if he'll pose for a picture.

Whew, and I'm going to hit the hay before it's suddenly tomorrow already!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Needleroozer said...

You know one of the things I love the most about yhou? You can have a poopy day with the kids, and still find something good to write about it. I learn so much from you.
Had fun talking to you tonight, have a great weekend, and I hope the sweet baby girl went right to sleep after we hung up.
LB

melissa said...

Good for you for keeping after it today! It's so easy to just throw in the towel on days like that!

My mom does the cucumber slices thing, only she uses sugar and vinegar in water. It makes a cool, sweet/sour kind of dish. And I think that she puts in some thinly sliced onions too.

I need to get some cucumbers.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Smidge! Wahoo!

Oh, shield my eyes! I don't want to be dazzled by Zazzle! Noooooo!
Wow! I got lots of ideas just looking at the first page. I may dig a little deeper another day. Thanks for the links!

Don't worry about the crazy days...they act as contrast to the great days and emphasize the good parts, but still I understand your frustration. I hope your Saturday goes better for you.

mere

Crissy said...

We have given Zazzle stamps with the boys' images to grandparents. The quality is teriffic, and they LOVE the idea.

Crissy

Melora said...

Sorry about the not-so-great day. Missing a playdate is a bummer. The dinner sounds delicious!

Thom said...

Sorry the day didn't go as planned. Glad the evening snuggle time made up for it!

Thanks for posting the stamp link---that WOULD be way cool for Christmas, B-days,etc.

And I LOVE cucumbers fixed that way.They were a summer staple at our super table,growing up. Deeee-lish!

Laura said...

Actually, reading your blog always inspires me to work on our old house. You make it sound interesting and entertaining and industrious. I favorably compare your posts to the "Little House on the Prairie" books. Please keep it up!