Monday, June 5

Say what?

OK, I don't think I will ever let James have the road atlas again. Ever. As we headed out of New Mexico, he tracked our progress from his spot way, way in the back of the Suburban. (It felt farther back than it really is because of the whining dog, the exhaust leak, and the toddler's maniacal laughter every time he poked the baby's head.) Needless to say, trans-suburban communication isn't the easiest thing in the world. So, the conversation went like this:

James: What's the next city we're coming to?
Zorak: Lubbock
James: *pause while he flips pages* It's not on the map.
Zorak: Yes, it is.
James: Nope. I looked on the map, in the index, and on the mileage chart. It's not in there.
Zorak: Yes, it is.
James: The only "L-u" names in here are "Lufkin" and "LuBOCK"
Zorak and I snicker lightly.
Zorak: That's it. It's "Lubbock".
James: "Luvink"?
Zorak: LUBBOCK
James: LUVOCK?
Zorak: (shooting me a dirty look because I'm giggling and not helping much) No, it's Lubbock, L-u-b-b-o-c-k.
James: *pause* I don't see it.

At this point, I am laughing so hard, I'm crying. I'm utterly useless. I tried to help, but I couldn't - I just made choking noises. Then Zorak's eyebrows begin moving about on his head and I figured I'd try one more time to help...

Me: Honey, the town that's spelled "L-u-b-b-o-c-k" is the one Daddy's talking about. Just put the accent on the first syllable.
James: LOObock?
Zorak: No, it's LUH-buk
James: OH! They just spelled it wrong in the atlas, then.

Now I'm curled up on the floorboard, trying so very hard to remember that this child totally gets this from me and not only am I wholly apologetic to Zorak for this genetic input, I'm also completely aware that the kid is really trying to figure out what we're talking about, and is sincere in his supposition that the atlas has made a typo. Obviously, something is not getting through the exhaust and road noise.

Me: Honey, it's the first sound of the phonogram uh, oo. (Hard to type the sounds, but I'm sure you follow me.)
James: LUH-buk?
Me: Yes, exactly.
James: *now totally exasperated with us* Well, that's what I thought to begin with!

A while later, we passed a sign that ready "Floydada". I read it aloud with the short "a" sound. Zorak shot me a sideways glance, whispered, "it's 'Floydada' - long a, but don't bring this up with James."

Maybe we need to invest in a good walkie-talkie set for our next road trip?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Oh my goodness! I am laughing so hard right now! That is so funny! I can so very relate. Gotta go, just pee'ed my pants. Love you.

P.S. We got in late, and I see you called but haven't listened yet- yours is message number 12, sigh.

I'll be sure to charge my cell phone tonight, lol.
XOXO,
LB

Needleroozer said...

P.P.S.
I miss IM-ing with you. The Dude bought me a memory stick and promises to fix my laptop's ability to pick up our wireless connection soon.
In the meantime, I will try to set it up on the dinosore (Yes I spelled it that way on purpose) downstairs.
((hugs))LB

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny. That is so much a conversation my kids and I could have had in my Tahoe. Me and the kids go on road trips every year (just the 3 of us-we leave daddy at home), and we have the funniest conversations. Just yesterday on the way home from church, I missed our exit on the freeway, and I was laughing so hard at it, because we got lost. DH did NOT think it was so funny, however. Made for grins and giggles between me and the kids though. There's just soemthing about me and getting lost...
-dawn

Kathyb1960 said...

Hey, I know right where you were! My family met a friend and her family in Floydada one time...it was exactly half way between Witchita Falls and where we live. Of course, that was back in 1977, and I thought I was an expert w/ an Atlas! LOL Turns out it wasn't exactly half way, but there ain't much out there!