Wednesday, June 14

Aaaaand.... she's OUT!

Cold, that is. By nine o'clock last night.

I only wish it was a pleasant evening that included a cooling bath, a foot rub, a few chapters in Heart of Darkness, and some maybe a little teacher in-service. But, no.

It was a migraine. So, my early evening included grilling kabobs outside, having a whomper of a time trying to narrow my vision enough to actually grasp the kabobs with the tongs. (The dog was hoping against hope that I'd fail.) An evening of moving very s-l-o-w-l-y in the hope that nobody would spot me and rip my brains apart by actually speaking to me. Especially not the small one with his nasally little, "Maaa! MaaAAA!" (Where did he get that accent? Ugh.)

I nearly exploded as I pureed the tomatillo soup. Rather than deal with the hubbub of having the boys set the table, I set it myself in *relative* quiet, called everyone to come eat, then grabbed the baby and headed for the cool darkness of our room to nurse and pray for death. Death did not come (retrospectively, I'm glad for that), but I did, at one point, leave a confused and screaming infant when I bolted from the bed and dashed to the bathroom to sacrifice to the gods for a while. I would rather puke from illness than from pain, any day. That is truly miserable.

Zorak is appreciated regularly around here, but last night the man earned his service stripes. He rescued the abandoned infant, coordinated the eating-o-the-supper, navigated the bedtime routine, and kept the general noise level to a dull roar while I laid in bed, doing my best impression of a demonic possession. It's nice to know somebody is reassurring the children that Mommy will be fine, when Mommy just can't muster that much strength. He even put Miss Emily down for the evening. God bless him.

This morning, life is beautiful. Much of that has to do with the fact that it's back in focus, less jarring, and more navigable, I'm sure. If we had plans to go anywhere, they've been scrapped - Zorak noticed on his way to work this morning that I'd left the door wide open on the Suburban yesterday afternoon when we got home. (In my defense, the headache had started on the drive home, three of four children were asleep as we pulled in, and there were the groceries to unload - I was a little distracted. *sheepish grin*) So I think we'll hang out, read books, maybe mow a little more grass (that lawn is the landscape equivalent of an all-day sucker!) and play ball. Sort of an impromptu day, but not so bad. If it doesn't get too hot, we'll try doing lessons on the picnic table out back.

And I need another cup of coffee!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Emily said...

Aren't good husbands just the best at times like that? I know, I have one who comes to my rescue more and more lately.

I am glad you are feeling better. I am fortunate to never have suffered with a migrane but I have memories from my childhod of my sister laying in a bathtub of cool water in the dark in misery.

Here's to a better and less painful day!

~Em

Anonymous said...

I tried to comment earlier, but for some reason it wasn't working...now it is! Hooray for Zorak, he sounds like a great guy! Have a restful day!

mere

Amy said...

{{Hugs}} on the migraine. I used to suffer from clusters, so that I would have one every other day for a month. I can totally understand wanting to just die. Thankfully since baby #2 they haven't been anywhere near as severe. Kudos to Zorak. Knowing that a good husband is there is such a comfort.

Wishes for a quick recovery from the migraine hangover.

Peace,

Amy in Apex

Needleroozer said...

Wow! BTDT, and I am so glad that it was short-lived. Be sure to keep yourself very hydrated (water, missy!) today.
And yay, Zorak!
Hugs,
LB

Anonymous said...

You threw up?

Huh.

If I didn't know better, I'd think.... I'd think.... I'd think about how Miss Emily is getting up there in age, and you're throwing up....

Hmmmmmm....

~Jo's Boys

ang said...

Im sorry you felt so bad yesterday.Migraines are the worst.I havent had one of my bad ones since 2000 thank God! Its starts with me having a white spot in my vision. Then I know its coming. Its like a sledge hammer they say to get to the emergency room if its is affecting your vision. I never do I lay there and wonder if this is the end. I had them every few years since 7th grade. Its been 6 years now so I am hoping whatever caused it wont happen again! Hope today goes way better for you :)

Jules said...

Oh Dy! (((hugs)))

I am sorry you were in such misery! I have never had a migraine so I can't even begin to say that I know where you're coming from, but if the pain is enough to make you puke then it has to be really, really bad.

Here's to a better day today- take it easy and get your strength back. You must be feeling just drained.

Take Care!

Dy said...

Thanks, guys! The sleep that followed was enough to rejuvenate me beautifully.

Jo, *bite your tongue, young lady*!! ;-) This was a different puke. This was the kind that happens when you are in so much pain your body can't take it anymore. I think I'd actually prefer your recommendation, though, now that I think about it.

OK, off to have a fantastic day!

Dy

Melora said...

Sorry about the sick headache. I'm impressed that you managed to cook a real dinner -- mine would have had to have settled for cereal. I hope you get to take it easy today!

hornblower said...

Ugh. I know what it's like - for a while they were hitting me about once a month, but I've been more cunning about taking lots and lots (!) of meds at the first hint of anything going awry (btw, most of the meds are compatible with breastfeeding :-)). It always takes me a day or 2 to recover too.

And yes, good husbands are invaluable. Roo knows what it's like (but his are more every 5 years) so he jumps in & takes over too.

Glad you're better today.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Glad you're feeling better, Dy. Although, after losing to the virus last night, I'm tempted to argue about which kind of puking is worse. ;) But instead I'll just say that I'm glad we're both better today. :D

Thom said...

Oh,I'm SO sorry about the migraine! I've had them since I was about 8YO. I SOOO understand the barfing-from-pain routine. It's like your body just can't deal with the misery.

FYI, lying down in a tub of warm water(deep enough to cover your ears) often times will help to ease off the pain for me. 800MG of good ole ibuprofen can sometimes help,too if I get it into my system at the very FIRST sign of an attack.

Isin't the day after a migraine just wonderful,though? I mean you're exhausted and all, but the pain is GONE. It's just GONE.(*SIGH*)

Bless Zorak's Good Husband heart for jumping in and taking over with the kids! He's just good people. It's awesome, the way you guys watch each other's backs!!

Awfully glad you're feeling better!!

Amber said...

Oh my, I'm sorry to hear you were in such misery yesterday! I'm glad the storm broke and you were ok today... That just sounds really really awful. I used to have short migraines ("only" about 5-6 hours) when I was in my early teens and they were pretty miserable... but I didn't have any children to look after or any real responsibilities. It seems like it would be ever so much more difficult as an adult - thank goodness for Zorak!

And I think you're right - I'd rather be praying to the porcelain god from illness than from pain. At least in illness you're in such a fog you don't really remember just how bad it was... but it doesn't seem to work that way for pain (at least for me, that is!) The whole morning sickness thing is another matter entirely though, I'm not sure where I would rank that because that really is pretty miserable! *grin*

I hope you had a nice, restful, peaceful and not too sticky-hot day today!