Tuesday, June 27

So Close We Can Taste It

HVAC Guy worked from nine until almost two. In that time, he accomplished quite a lot: the units are set, the lines are run, and measurements are taken. (OK, it doesn't look like much in writing. Maybe I've left something out - to be honest, we didn't bone up for the test on this part because, well, we didn't have to! Kind of nice for a change, to be honest.) He left a list of things we do need to get done before he comes back with the fabricated parts. But the good thing is that he said it may be the end of this week. Wouldn't that be heavenly? Of course, operative phrase is "may be", but I'll go with delirum for a thousand, please. I'm good with that.

It's so interesting to see the difference in working with him vs. the other people we spoke with - not only in that he is a small business owner rather than an employee for a larger corporation, but in that he saw the house last fall, before we bought it. He's almost as excited as we are about the changes. :-D I think I'd rather spend a week in a room of angry two-year olds than have to do an entire remodel using contractors for every step of it. But the few times we've had to work with someone, we've been fortunate to have great ones on our team. He has worked with us, and our schedule, and our poor communication skills *ahem, cough, cough* without ever getting snarky or raising the price on us mid-stream.

I called Sears today to find out if our laundry center will be in the vicinity before the fifth. If it is, then we'll go ahead and pick it up rather than wait for the fifth for delivery. We're using our own power cord, so they won't install it, anyway. Why wait? After thirty minutes on the phone with Sears, being transferred to random departments throughout the store (including women's apparel and tools), the verdict was that "Jennifer", presumably from appliances, will look into it and call me back to let me know. Never heard back, but I have hope. And that hope makes me giddy!

Zorak's Mom and Brother will head our way in a few days. Brother will drop her off with us, then head to PA to get his girls and bring them back. They plan to stay for a week or so. Looks like it's time to slip back into Host Mode, which is always a nice treat. They'd like to see the Caverns and the Gardens, and we'll probably do the boat excursion. Granny loves to hit the junk shops (and the boys, I am proud to say, have mastered the fine art of knowing when it's a "junk shop" and when you really ought to call it an "antique shop" - Granny will be so proud! *sniff*) The boys will be thrilled to have Granny at hand again. We cannot wait to see the girls. They're 14 and 16 now, and although in our minds they are still just 4 and 6, they've grown into fine young ladies who are a joy to be around.

I talked to the Aunts on Sunday and they said Gram is doing wonderfully. She's home, recovering, and growing stronger each day. Gram was resting when I called, and I'd planned to call back in the afternoon to talk to her, but I hate disturbing her rest. Even if she's just laying down, she's getting some rest, and she's probably going to need a lion's share of it over the next week or so. In the meantime, however, it's so encouraging to know she is recovering so well!

Tomorrow starts our church's summer Wednesday program. Looks like fun, and it's scheduled for the hot, hot afternoon hours. Ohhhh, twist my arm, folks! I get to hang out, in an air conditioned building, for two and a half hours while my children enjoy fellowship and all that crafty, energetic stuff I can't quite pull off? And there'll be snacks? What a delightful idea!

Kiss those sweet babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

H said...

I was checking in to see if you were chillin' and singing "Ice Ice Baby" yet.

The end of the week sounds really good though!

Think cool thoughts!

Melora said...

Go a/c guy!!! Does this mean you will have cool, non-sweaty houseguests? That will be even nicer.

Glad Gram is doing well.

Anonymous said...

I've only had a moment to skim, but WOW! dry pants, nearly conditioned air and a successful nursery visit? Yay!

Things have been topsy turvy here (When did I start USING these phrases??! Sheesh...) so I haven't had much time to be online.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm totally lost. I think I must have missed this part earlier on.

You don't have a washer and dryer? For real? Or what's the "laundry center"?? I can't, for the life of me, imagine that you don't have a washer and dryer. That just completely escapes my imaginitive prowess....

~Jo's Boys

Dy said...

Oh, I do hope the a/c is up and running before our houseguests arrive. Or at least, if it's not, that the temps don't go over 90! :-)

Andie, it's good to see you back. LOL @ topsy-turvy. Yes, our vocabulary has certainly adapted, hasn't it? And yes, it's been a banner week here. (Which is, probably, a little sad, if you think about it.)

Jo, it's been a process. We had no water for a couple of weeks after we moved in. Then we had cold water until about Christmas, when we got hot water. I think we got the washing machine hooked up in early January - it's all a bit of a blur at this point. But we've been line drying this whole time. It's good, and I'm thankful for it (and quite surprised that things dried as well as they did!) The laundry center is linked a few posts back - it's a single unit washer/dryer combo. Full-size, front loading, and will fit in the hallway coat closet that we turned into a utility closet (b/c the washer and dryer hookups were originally in the galley kitchen, which, obviously, didn't stay!) Clear as mud, right? It's been a weird year. LOL

Dy