Monday, June 19

On Having a Poop Blog

WHEN did my blog go from a homeschooling blog to a daily poop report? I am so, so sorry for that. In an effort to redeem myself from the incessant potty training updates, I'd like to share a little educational blogging for a bit. (Ok, one more update before I stop: WHY can a child stay 100% dry, 24/7, even waking dry from naps and bedtimes and STILL refuse to use the darned thing for solids?!? WHYYYYYYY?)

Alright, now for a little redemption. The other children are doing productive, educational things. Mainly without me, as I'm sequestered in the hallway, running herd on Smidge.

James is working his way through Gamma, namely because I make him. For fun, though, he is playing with fractions. Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. In his head. For fun. And he's not only accurate, but he's fast. I should be happy that my only role in his mathematical education at this point is to make certain he has the facts themselves down pat so that this will continue to be easy and fun for him. It does give me a little leeway with the hallway time. But we may have to hire a tutor named Heinrich to come and live with us in a few years. He's also *drum roll, please* SWIMMING! The last time we went, he put on a life jacket and took off swimming. He swam way the heck out there, where I'd have to find someone to catch the baby before I could divest myself of binding clothes in order to go rescue him if something should happen. Nothing happened, of course, but a mother's mind works overtime in the Alfred Hitchcock corridor while her mouth is shouting, "Way to GO! Look at you GO!! YAY!! YOU! ARE! AWESOME!"

John's writing is wonderful, and he is reading all the word problems in his math sets. He's also significantly more interested in Latin since we've picked it up again. It's clicking. This is the year of the click for him. Thank God, because he's turning six and six is not my best year for remaining calm and encouraging. Anyhow, we've been reviewing all the Prima Latina prayers this month. And he's good. He's having a lot of fun learning his things, his way. I didn't think he'd do so well with the "which subject would you like to do first" approach, but he does. And he picks math first, then Latin, and then - who'd have guessed, Bible. He's also showing a concerted interest in drawing. Perhaps it's time to invest in some quality materials and start working toward offering him something a little more meaty in that area? Nothing replaces the fun, self-directed delight of free time, but sometimes it's nice to have a few more tools in the mental toolbox.

The board games are getting a workout. As is my inner dialogue, which goes something like this:
"This time is short-lived. This time will pass SO quickly. Oh, kill me now, it's Connect Four! This time is short-lived and precious."
Chess is turning out to be quite fun, though, and it's something the older two boys and I enjoy tremendously. Sadly, chess is Smidge's new "Seek and Destroy" mission - it seems to have replaced read-alouds in his "this causes me pain and so I must prevent its mere presence in our home" approach to life. So we only play while he's napping. There are many sheets of paper lying about the house with mid-game schematics drawn hurriedly on them. (The boys start sketching while I lure Smidge back down the hall to the bathroom. It's not a potty thing, it's just a stalling tactic so they can get the notes down.)

We are about 2/3 done with Huckleberry Finn - we're enjoying it, but the slow pace of the dialogue pretty much puts us all to sleep mid-afternoon. One chapter at a time is a painful way to read through Mark Twain, and I don't think we'll revisit any of his work until the boys are a bit older. Perhaps as a read-aside, where we each read the book at a set pace and discuss it, rather than as a read-aloud? Is that cowardly of me? I hope not, but if so, I'm good with that. Suggestions for what to read next? Some good, meaty, delightful summer read-alouds would be most appreciated!

I'm reading The Cat of Bubastes, by Henty; Godless by Coulter; Moby Dick by somebody who abridged it (it was in the basement and I was desperate); Pilgrim's Progress (this caused the desperation that sent me into the basement for Melville's abridged story); The Power of a Praying Parent by O'Martian (re-read, never hurts to get a refresher); and working on my own independent math studies (why, oh why, doesn't Steve write a Calculus book?). In all, not a bad line-up. I do wish I had a little more brain candy on the nightstand at the moment, but it just doesn't seem to be the season for that.

And Miss Emily is doing a one-armed Army crawl now! She'd probably make better headway if the comforter cover offered more traction instead of bunching up beneath her, but that doesn't seem to be a deterrent. She decides to go somewhere (generally to get something) and she is off - like a very determined, single-minded herd of turtles. Just imagine what she will do when we have flooring we can actually set her down on! Wow, the world is hers to conquer!

But now, it's time to tend to the home and the hubby and the things that need tending before turning in. Kiss those babies!

Dy

7 comments:

Jennie C. said...

My Rosie has the opposite potty problem: she'll poop about half the time on the potty (she's just turned two) but she absolutely won't let a drop of urine out. Until she's back in her underpants. I spend a lot of time changing panties and mopping up puddles.

Have you read any Gary Paulson books? (I think that's the name.) We read Hatchet a few weeks ago, a boy/survival story, and my husband was quite taken with it, which is how I know it was an appealing story for the male gender. He doesn't sit through much, but he eagerly dropped whatever he was doing for our evening chapters of that one! There are a few more by him, too.

Melora said...

Wow! I'm so impressed by what James and John are accomplishing! And willingly, too, sounds like!
Honestly, I'm impressed by Smidge, too! Neither of mine were potty trained til 3, although T. was Completely trained on his third birthday -- no mistakes.

The Queen said...

I won't name the child since he's old enough to read the blog, but there were exactly 30 days between the last day that he had a #1 accident and the first day that he would put #2 in the proper container. The potty book I was reading at the time, since he was my first, said that three or fewer accidents a day were success and to keep going. So I said only, "poop goes in the potty." and washed one load of "contaminated" laundry a day (but I was pro-cloth diapers, too--so it's not like I was wigged out by soiled cloth in my washer. It washes out just fine.)

Day 30--the day "it" happened--was of course a day when we were on the road travelling all day. We stopped at road-side toilets in rural Iowa five times in 40 minutes. Four false alarms and the fifth potty was the breakthrough.

This too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

Check out The Starman Series; you'll be the best judge on whether it's good for the boys now or later. I know one of the authors. The books are good, action-packed fun, written from a Christian perspective and philosophy, without being preachy. Good stuff.
www.starmanseries.com

pilgrimama said...

Oh,the board game thing! I hear ya! You are not the only one chanting in your mind.If it helps I will think of you as I silently chant my way through Bob the Builder memory games. Marcella

Bob and Claire said...

I love to read good reports like this! I'm glad everything is going so well. I'm laughing too about the board game mantra! Didn't I just blog saying how happy I am that my dh is so great with games, since I am so not?! : ) And it was only a few short months (weeks?) ago that we were doing the whole potty thing with Jonathan. We were late to several things due to um, well, lets just call them very messy accidents, even though the potty opportunity had just been given. Frustrating! But he hasn't had a poop accident in quite awhile now, so I'm sure it won't take Smidge much longer to really, really, REALLY get it!

Emily said...

If it makes you feel any better, we are in the same "no solids" boat with you! He stays dry all day, even through the night!!

I knew I was in trouble when my 2YO came up to me and said "Mom I need to make poo. Can I have a diaper, please?"

One question...WHAT IS WRONG WITH AGE 6?? I must know! Q's 6th bday is approaching. What things do I need to prepare for??

~Emily