Sunday, June 18

Almost made it!

Cold cereal for breakfast, baths on Saturday night, clothes hung bedside and ready to go - the little things that can help get you to church on time, without taking the Lord's name in vain on the way. The morning went smoothly, and we nearly made it out of the house on time. However, Smidge decided to keep his streak going just as we buckled him into the carseat, so back into the house for yet another round of: Where do we poop? In the potty! Yes, that's right! So... what's up, then? And then, since we didn't go anywhere Saturday, I forgot to put gas in the Suburban on Saturday. Ah, yes, that would help, wouldn't it? So we had to stop on the way in. We missed Sunday School, but made it for church, and I'm so glad we did!

We had a guest speaker for the sermon - a guy who is 1 1/2 years into seminary. His name is Jonathan Kuiper, and he's the son of Bernhard Kuiper, author of When Bad Things Happen To Good Prophecies. He goes a bit against the PCA grain, in that he's an eloquent, humorous and witty public speaker. Nothing against the pastors of our church, and we've actually got two phenomenal pastors here at this one. We've just found that a style of engaging public speaking doesn't seem to be the "norm" in this denomination, and it's stunningly refreshing when we stumble upon a pastor who has that skill! (Yep, parishioners dig pastors with SKILLS!) Anyhow, back to the subject at hand - we enjoyed the sermon tremendously. There was also a baptism - one of our pastors had the honor of baptizing his eighth grandchild today. That was so nice, and heightened our anticipation of getting the paperwork finished and the Inquisition held so that we can have Miss Emily baptized.

Zorak wanted sushi, so it was off for lunch after church. Swung by the Crunchy Market for more bread (and wf ginger snaps!) Then, to a movie. We saw Cars, and it was much better than we anticipated. Yes, it did have a clear Doc Hollywood echo to it, but without all the angry anti-hunter nonsense, which made it doubly enjoyable for us. In spite of its G rating, there was still a little unnecessary innuendo, but I guess the folks in Hollywood (even at Pixar) don't know how to move a plot without a love interest, and cannot for the life of them figure out how to have a love interest without a little blue humor. That's sad for them, really, as the biggest grown-up laughs in the audience came, not from the bawdy humor, but from the references that were simply geared to our era. In all, though, it was worth coughing up a kidney to take the entire family to a movie. And not a bad way to get out of the heat.

Some friends are in town this week, and we hope to see them while they're here. We worked on the house a bit more this evening, watched Robots again (what was I saying about unnecessary innuendo? Yes, I know.) and read. We enjoyed a late-night snack with Smidge and James. (James and Zorak ate sardines. Smidge and I sat far, far away and ate crackers and cheese.)

I'm feeling more energized about the house, now that it's more organized. We'll see how the new plan holds up to daily lessons, experiments, and general living! ;-)

Gram heads in tomorrow for her surgery. Please keep her in your prayers. I talked to her today, and aside from not being terribly thrilled with the pre-surgery diet, she's in good spirits and looks forward to getting better soon.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll continue to pray for Gram. She sounds like a wonderful lady.

I took the whole herd to see Cars on Thursday. Our favorite was Mater (like Towmater without the "tuh.") On the way to the theater Mary Jane said "Mama, you're gonna love this movie. Larry the Cable Guy does a voice in it!" Ah, the joys of bringing up the next generation of rednecks!

Git-R-Done,
Wendy

Dy said...

LOL, Wendy - that was my favorite, too! I think it was the "without the 'tuh'" that got me. The whole thing had us giggling, and there were quite a few belly laughs in there, as well.

Thank you for the prayers.

Dy

Pilot Mom said...

"...Jonathan Kuiper, and he's the son of Bernhard Kuiper."

Bernard Kuiper was my pastor for a number of years when we lived in Colorado Springs. I bet his son Jonathan will make a fine preacher.

Jennie C. said...

I'm looking forward to Cars, but we didn't see Robots because of that "unnecessary innuendo". I didn't like Ice Age because of that, and have never let them watch it again, or Ice Age 2, either. It is so NOT what I want my innocent babies to hear.

Stephanie not in TX said...

Jeff and I laughed hardest at the "Freebird!" bit.

Patty in WA or Rover said...

I'll pray for Gram.

Bob and Claire said...

Ahh, I was just going to say that Bernhard Kuiper was my grandma's pastor for many years in Co. Springs, but I see that my aunt beat me to it! : ) Small world. I'm always glad to hear about good preachers coming up!