Thursday, June 15

Blew My One Cool Outift

Miss Emily had a newborn (infant, whatever) hearing exam today at ten. I woke the boys early, and we ran to the store to get whipping cream (forgot to ask Zorak to bring some when he came home yesterday - not an auspicious beginning to the day). We came back, threw bread pudding in the oven, got everybody showered, dressed, fed, and out the door in semi-record time. We arrived five minutes early to our appointment - high fives all around! WE ROCK!

The boys filed into the chairs while I signed us in, gave insurance information, and signed the Declaration of, er, some large stack of paperwork.

Then we sat. And sat. And sat.

FORTY-FIVE MINUTES later, the receptionist called Miss Emily to the front to tell us they have our appointment down for *tomorrow*, not today. At ten. I have the paperwork from the referring office that says it was, in fact, for today, but since the main ENT is the one we're supposed to see, and he is in surgery today, it was a moot point. Somebody goofed, no biggie, really.

"But," said the chipper receptionist, "we have all the paperwork done and can just come right on in tomorrow!"

Um... Yay?

And how does the outfit come into this? Well, I have only one outfit that says,
"I am a totally together woman who showers daily, accessorizes, and manages all of this - renovating, homeschooling, parenting, and wifely duties - quite well, thank you."
ONE. I wear it to official appearances, such as doctor's visits and things at Zorak's workplace, in order to counterbalance the things the boys may add to discussions. (see yesterday's post)

I wear it because it's the one I want to be seen in if I must appear on the evening news in less-than-flattering coverage. (Much better than being photographed in Zorak's clothes and my militant boots... or worse yet, sweats and no bra with large leaky splotches on the paint-slathered t-shirt.) And now, they've seen it already! And it's not like the appointment was rescheduled for next week, when it could just be coincidence that I arrive in the same outfit. ARGH.

To make matters worse, this doctor is married to one of the wonderful ladies I've met here recently. They also homeschool, which is a huge plus. But she's really together. She's not "from here", but she can totally pull of that Metropolitan Southern Belle thing with wonderful flair. AND she has four children. It's not like she set the bar low, so us mere mortals can hurdle it. Gah!

I even bathed the baby today! She didn't smell of soured milk (which, in this heat and humidity, it sours pretty quickly, so hush). She was all pink and had a clean neck! And now I'm going to have to do this all over again? Pffttt.

At least if I bathe her again, maybe she'll be so stunningly cute that nobody will notice the stained t-shirt or the men's size designation on my jeans tomorrow?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

pilgrimama said...

Oh,Dy! I know why I like you and your blog so much! It´s because you articulate those small details that the rest of us deal with yet are sometimes too proud to admit.For your information,now that we regularly attend a larger church group more than once a week and have so much exposure with the buisnesses and our city life I realized my boonies wear just didn´t work anymore.So I cut down on the stress and redid (mostly) our wardrobes.You may wish to consider this......I´ll be chuckling over this post for a good bit. Now run and read Cheaper By the Dozen and calm yourself,girl! Marcella

Melora said...

They should be so busy apologizing for messing up your day that they don't have time to notice your outfit. Well, they Should. I'm sure they will be so taken with Emily's adorable-ness that they really won't notice!
Cordially,
Melora

Dy said...

LOL, it may be time for that, Marcella. I'm glad you got a good revamp for the new neighborhood. Feels great, doesn't it?

Melora, I think it was our Wonderful Pediatrician's office who goofed. The ENT's wife had said last week that he always has surgery on Thursdays, but she thought maybe we would just see one of his audiologists. This is the second appt. the ped's office has scheduled for us - the first, they scheduled for while we were on vacation. So we arrived home to learn we'd completely missed both the scheduling and the appt. itself. (And yes, we'd mentioned the vacation and time frame.) But if a ditzy receptionist is the price I have to pay to have an awesome ped, I'm good w/ that. :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

I honestly and truly don't see a problem with your wearing your Outfit again tomorrow. All that's ruined is that the receptionist saw it, but the Dr. didn't see it and the nurses didn't see it. I would clean it and wear it again, because the one you seem to be worried about is the Dr., not the receptionist. But that's just me. :)

~Jo's boys

ang said...

Dy that is to funny!!! I say that you should tell Zorak you need atleast 2 outfits for stuff like that. :)

Amber said...

Clearly you should have bought those camouflage and sequin pants you were eyeing a month or two ago. :-D

Seriously though, I hope the appointment went well and you found something reasonable to wear!

Anonymous said...

See, I'm still chewing on the fact that you had to wait 45 minutes!!!! to get told that your appointment was the next day, while you, sweet Dy, worry about your outfit :-).
Don't worry about it, put it on again tomorrow. There was once a time where people wore their stuff 2-3 days in a row and nobody got bent out of shape about it. Chances are the receptionists won't even notice.

Hope the appointment goes well.
Love, Verena

Emily said...

Oh wow! I have one of those outfits in the prego version! Everyone in my dinky little town has seen it now several times, I am not fooling anybody! LOL!!

At least do bathe the baby, cute and good smelling kids can cover a lot.

And I just know as you get more familiar with the ENT's wife you will find a pair of boots and stained shirts in her closet too :)

Thanks so much for the comment you left me! It cracked me up and I am feeling much better.

~Em

J-Lynn said...

Let me know if you need any of that baby cologne my in-laws purchase us every few years so the kids necks smell nice and flowery for them (?!). It apparently comes in one size: industrial!