Friday, March 10

Three Day Weekends

Would you believe it took me three tries to type that title? Kept coming out "Three Dog Night". Weird.

Anyhow, these three-day weekends are nice. We get an extra half-day to work on the house, and an extra half-day to spend with the boys. Couldn't work out any nicer if we bribed someone!

Zorak got things lined up to rewire the master bedroom. I primed the laundry room and plotted the paint purchases for the rest of the things. Cleaned the texture pan (I know, it would be so much easier to just rinse it when I'm done, but I'm usually done when Emily suddenly decides she wanted to eat half an hour ago, so there's no time for tidiness.) Painted and tidied up the tidbits in the bathroom that need attention. Pretty laid-back day.

Oh, I did have to venture into town to get set up with a "Primary Care Physician". That was a nightmare. The doctor is nice enough. I'm sure she's competent. But I could just sense the polarization in the air with every question she asked. She is convinced I'm a lunatic, or severely delusional, at best. There's just no way, in her mind, I can be *this* happy, and *this* okay with my life when I have four children, homeschool, am remodeling a house and don't drink. Well, not heavily, anyway. And everytime she scrunched up her face in response to some answer I gave to her questions, all I could think was, "What?!?! What do you want me to say?"

She asked if I was losing weight since I'm nursing. I told her that I'd lost quite a bit, nearly to pre-pregnancy weight, but that according to her scale, it's levelled off now. She wanted to check my thyroid! What? Why!? I'm not tired. I'm not out of a normal, healthy weight range. I am experiencing absolutely no symptoms of an out-of-whack thyroid. Not one. I tried to explain that I'm a lot less active now that the baby has arrived than I was during my pregnancy. Now I just sit on my butt and cuddle children. We all know that's going to show up on the scale, eventually. She did that face scrunching thing again and said, "Oh, come ON! How could you possibly be LESS active? You have FOUR kids. *face scrunch* You're active." And then she scribbled something in my file. I have no idea what, but I don't think it was good. *sigh* We need a physician for the commune. Any takers?

That's about it. I'm going to see if the texture brush has let go of the dried on compound yet, and if so, I'm going to texture the hall. (It's never been pretty, so this is one part I've been anxious to see the final results on!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Amy said...

Criminy! Peyton's 5 1/2 and I still haven't lost the baby weight. Shoulda been on syntrhoid the whole time. Who knew?

I'll sign up for the commune doc gig, I suppose. But I won't have an office. Housecalls only. Or folks can come to my house. I just don't want an office - 'kay?

And be forewarned - I'm the Antibiotics Nazi. Virus? No antibiotics for you!

Forms of payment accepted: oil changes; fresh, homegrown tomatoes; books (B&N gift cards also accepted).

Hey, it's gotta be the right situation to lure me out of retirement.

Staci Eastin said...

Oooh, Amy and Dy, can I come too!

Anonymous said...

It really gets on my nerves when doctors/nurses/midwives feel the freedom to offer a commentary on my personal life or speculate as to the stress level that I must be under.