Friday, March 3

I love Fridays!

Fridays mean we've made it one more week without misplacing anyone (a personal goal of mine through the years), without givng up on the team plan, without losing sight of whatever it is we're focused on. It's not the ensuing weekend that makes me so happy. It's the knowledge that we're making it - one step, one day, one week at a time. How awfully encouraging! I suppose that, yes, Friday would come even if I did leave poor Smidge at the Family Dollar, or if Zorak went Parrothead without me and lost himself in the Keys. But it wouldn't have the same feeling that it does when the head count and goal focus remain constant over the week. That's nice.

I finished the boys' closet and the texturing of the laundry closet over the week - one teeny tiny step at a time. Had grand plans of installing the organizer yesterday so that I could surprise Zorak with all the efficiency and wonder that is His Wife. Um. Yeah. Have ya seen the instructions to those things? It's designed for "up to" an 8' closet. The boys have Nowhere Near An 8' Closet, and so a hacksaw will have to come into play. We're talking actual linear footage, and yet the instructions say to hack it off "in one inch increments". Oh sure! I'd still be cutting bits apart when James kissed me goodbye on his way to college! And the sheer number of fasteners! Oy! I did surprise Zorak, but it was with a phone call wondering if he knew where the cordless screwdriver was (he didn't) and then begging him to install the stoopid thing when he got home. At least he was exposed to the, erm, Wonder that is... His Wife. (Poor guy.)

Today, our tasks are a bit more within our grasp: to Lowe's for a Mongo Tub O' Joint Compound (yes, the Irish kind) and to Wal-Mart for paint in varying hues with which to brighten our home. That, we can do. The organizer is still splayed about on the boys' bedroom floor, and there it shall remain for the day. I will gladly teach history, math and literature. I will happily pick up supplies. But with four children under foot, I don't use levels unless Zorak makes me.

Kiss those babies (and don't misplace them!)
~Dy

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Fridays too! Aren't they great?!?

Plus, my parents are coming out today too! I blogged about it.

Take care, Dy. I think you are Wonder Woman. Do you have the truth telling lasso?!? ;-)

L said...

That is so funny. Sara's first birthday was less a party about her, than my own celebration that I hadn't misplaced her and she had actually survived one full year under my care. I've had pets that weren't as successful.

Melora said...

If you can manage all those errands without misplacing any children, you don't need to prove anything by installing a closet organizer.
Have a lovely weekend!
Melora

Dy said...

Lynette - are you serious? Me? PUSH four children PLUS materials around Lowe's? Uh-uh. Not gonna do it. The oldest three walk. Em gets a ride in the sling. If they squirrel around, I run into them w/ the cart. Straightens 'em right out. ;-) Actually, though, they're very good about staying close by and not touching everything. they. pass. I appreciate that, and we try to hit up Sonic on the way home (when I can remember where it is - I still get lost around here) to celebrate that nobody got arrested, run over, or lost.

Gretchen - ACK! Those moments are the scariest. We lost James like that once, and I think it took a good ten years off my life. Now, I'm really quite mean when we're in department stores, b/c the fear of losing my children makes me weak in the knees. If I can't reach out and touch them, then they're too far away and are in trouble.

Lynne, we've had both pets and plants that didn't last a full year under our care. I think we're both surprised that we've managed so well with kids so far. Funny how parenthood can kick up the Responsibility Gene, isn't it?