Thursday, March 9

General Blogging Entry

It's a little after ten and I'm going to post and pass out. Today was productive, busy, and active. Personally, I really hate days like this. They set the bar a little too high for my long-term comfort.

The boys awoke to a hot, fresh breakfast, a clean kitchen and Mom, ready to read.

The dog peed in the foyer again. He'd gotten really good about going outside and not having accidents (we've even been allowing him a bit more free roam time in the house) and then suddenly, he's begun this again. Whatever I've said about letting him live is now a bit tentative. He's back on probation and got to spend the day enjoying the out-of-doors, where I don't have to watch him like he's a nekkid two year old and he doesn't have to worry about bringing on the Wrath of Kahn.

The boys and I finally put up the ceiling fan blades, goobers and all, in their room. It does look cute, and the color combination is beginning to grow on me. Smidge and I did puzzles. James and I made robots. John and I made weapons. We had a great snack and more time spent reading together.

Around two, I began to exhibit symptoms of sudden-onset narcolepsy. It kicked in while I was reading aloud, which means I didn't realize I was asleep until the boys' raucous laughter awoke me. I fall asleep while reading quite a lot. LB calls it a "tip over". I don't actually tip over, though. I keep reading, but begin ad-libbing the storyline and making up words. The boys love it when that happens, but I fear being outed publicly, so I did what any nurturing mother would do: I laid on the couch to pass out and told the boys we should snuggle and watch a movie. They piled on with me and I slept through half of Polar Express. *streeeetch* Much better.

We all worked on the house, but didn't get the heavy moving done as I had Emily in the sling and couldn't contrive a way to haul the heavy stuff without mushing her little head. Zorak arrived home to the scent of supper cooking (red chile beef enchilada casserole with refried beans and a salad), and the boys helping out. John, up to his elbows in grated cheese, and smiling from ear to ear. Smidge, eating the cheese as fast as John could grate it, also smiling. James, singing down the hall, over the sound of the vacuum (when you try to vacuum the wall, the motor gets much noisier and you have to sing louder!) Thankfully, no love songs today.

The guys (including Zorak) worked on their snap circuits (semi-conductors, more fun than you thought!) while I finished supper, set the table, and then had the surreal experience of actually calling my crew to supper. It was lovely, but I doubt I can recreate that scene on a regular basis. I should have tried to channel Norman Rockwell to capture it for me. You know, for those days I can't clear the bar and get knocked on my tush.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

H said...

Ooooh! "Sudden onset narcolepsy!"

At last the condition that has plagued me since the appearance of my first child has a name!

Brilliant!

:)

Anonymous said...

It scares me when I have those productive days. After the initial thrill of accomplishment then the self-doubt creeps in: "If I did this today, why can't I do this everyday?". Why can't I do it everyday-that's the question!!
Jennifer

Dy said...

Glad I could help, Hillary - just let me know what symptoms developed once you had children and I can find a name for it.

Jennifer, I hear you. You know, though, I think it's a momentum thing. Or perhaps a stamina issue. Like in track - I could so the 100 yard dash, but the mile? crosscountry? Um, yeah, I'll be over at the medics tent, malingering...

pilgrimama said...

I think I know what you're talking about! I'll be reading away and suddenly "come to" realizing I'm saying completely irrelevant words.Is that what you experience? Marcella

J-Lynn said...

Oh, what a great day! And with a bonus nap - alright! *high five*

I'm sorry I didn't call you back today (was that msg from today? I am bad with my phone). We were gone from 9:30am-7pm. Busy day here too! LOL

I'm sunburned and Belle just finally crashed so I'm heading to bed as well. Talk to you tomorrow...

Hugs!