Sunday, March 5

Breathe in, breathe out...

Wow. So, closet organizers? Yeah, now I understand why some people pay others to install them. Oy! One down, four to go... *cringe*

BUT the boys' closet now holds all of their things, our beach gear, their shoes, Emily's blankets, and there's plenty of room for stowing other things, as well! Yay. (I'd say it was worth it, but what do I know? Zorak did all the work. hee hee)

Zorak installed another closet floor and tidied up the remaining taped joints in the hallway. He also worked a lot in the basement, trying to make it feel less like a warehouse and more like a workshop. I don't know if he succeeded, but he sounded happy with the results.

We spent three hours today moving things from the Tool Room to the basement. I only remarked maybe twice on Zorak's tidiness in the tool room, then caught myself and resorted to a general murmuring of discontent as I picked up around the room. He took it well, patting me on the head and reminding me that it looked fine until I quit cleaning it. Shyah, well, yeah, but there's a reason I quit clean -- oh, nevermind. I'll be in my corner, murmuring. (These are the things you have to brace yourself for in a home improvement project. You must learn to laugh about them so that you don't end up involved in a messy court case before your home is finished. The do-it-yourself books never mention things like this. They waste their time on budgeting and materials worksheets. What they need are some good humor-enhancing tips and a schedule on "how to fight fair and still laugh about it".) So. Anyway, three days behind schedule on that room, but there was a LOT more stuff in there than we thought!

I forgot to buy a straw broom while we were out Friday, so the dining room stood neglected this weekend.

But surely, I could have run to the market over the weekend and bought a broom? Oh, no. Miss Emily is experiencing her first "growth spurt". This is a medical euphemism for "the child will attempt to kill you by nursing". It's a subtle battle to the finish. An infant's Gladiator, if you will. Armed with the lung capacity of a blue whale and the tenacity of badger-wasps, the wee contender begins the battle. And entering the arena armed with mass quantities of water, and a stack of books, our returning champion ~ Mom! *The bloodthirsty crowd goes wild...*

Not only have I probably doubled our water bill over the weekend, I spent more time feeding her than I did the entire week of her illness (which was about every two hours that week), and I've read three (count 'em - 1, 2, 3) Rosemary Sutcliff books from beginning to end this weekend. Not to mention a few chapters in Story of the World and seven chapters from Prince Caspian aloud to the boys. There was a point on Saturday where I thought I was a goner, but while she may be focused, I'm just too stubborn to die yet. It looks like this battle was a draw. Mom: alive. Baby: fat. All's well. (But that's why I don't have a broom.)

Everyone is perky and healthy and being forced to stand outside in the 65 degree weather. It's wonderful. Or at least Zorak and I think so. The boys, not so much. John kept slipping in through the back door. Smidge hid under the legos, and finally James came in to tell me he got way too hot out today. Zorak stepped in and mentioned that they'd best get used to it because summer's a'comin' and they aren't spending the entire summer inside! Nope. (*I* might, but they don't get to. I'm old and unable to handle humidity over 10%. They're young and have way too much energy to spend all summer sitting and not tearing through the house. OUT they go!)

So, "growth spurt" aside, it was a relatively productive weekend. The boys' room received a bit more tweaking, everyone got fed semi-regularly, and the laundry is done. We aren't being nearly as productive as we'd like to be, but we aren't stagnating, either. The boys got more of our attention, as well. That's progress of a different, and very important kind. It felt good.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

H said...

I have a couple of closets I want to install those organizers in, but they're so intimidating. So many pieces, parts, and quite a bit of sawing involved. I think it will be quite a long time before those get installed at my house!

As much fun as we had outside this week, I can so relate to your boys. Some afternoons, no matter how beautiful it is outside, I just want to hang out inside, reading or cleaning. I'd have to be pretty desperate to hide under the legos, though! :)

pilgrimama said...

Humph! Just wait until that young lady starts teething,especially at 16 months and cries to nurse all afternoon! Chelsea decided to "hatch" 8 or more teeth at once and still is nursing on demand. It goes like this: throw yourself down on your mother's lap or claw at her shirt,squack cur-cur and basically yowl until she lets you have your way.Yes. Prepare yourself Marcella

Sheila said...

Humidity over 10%. Ha, ha, ha, ha.
Our under the house dehumidifiers are set to 70%. Any lower and then would stay on 365 days a year.
Woohee..10%.

We'll be outside until mid June and then we hole up until September.

Needleroozer said...

LOL at the baby gladiator!
So glad you had a good productive weekend. Man, that humidity factor is the only thing that scares me about visiting y'all this summer!

LB, who likes it about 65 degrees, and sticks her fingers in her ears, singing "I can't hear you" when you start talking about high humidity.

Stephanie Ozenne said...

This is a medical euphemism for "the child will attempt to kill you by nursing". It's a subtle battle to the finish. An infant's Gladiator, if you will.

I know this goes without saying, but you're hilarious, Dy. Thanks for the belly laughs. And I know exactly what I'll be thinking when my next baby hits his/her growth spurts...

Spinneretta said...

DY... you need to figure out how to nurse in a sling ;) Then the leech- I mean baby, can stay attached... ;)
As for making a pinny... nothing to it. It's just giant squares sewn together. However, with small baby gladiators, it's gonna take a while... :D

Amber said...

LOL - I love the growth spurt image! I think Gregory's heading for another one of those soon and I know this is what I'll be thinking about as I sit and nurse and nurse and nurse (and nurse and nurse and nurse! *grin*)

It is amazing just how much they can consume, isn't it?

Oh, speaking of Gregory, I think I just heard him squawk. Take care!

Anonymous said...

I know how it is in growth spurts. I was able to get through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in one day. But, nursing is the only time I get to read, so I can't complain. :-)