Sunday, March 19

Many Shades of Green

Well, the best laid plans...

Miss Emily kept me up until five this morning, when I simply couldn't hang any longer and left her to her own devices in the bouncy seat. Needless to say, that rearranged our entire Sunday morning schedule. Pancakes? Nope, Frosted Flakes. Church? Nuh-uh, slept here instead of in the pews.

While Zorak made astounding headway in the back, I primed the living room. (In my defense, before I go any farther, you all need to know that Zorak approved this color! It's not all on me this time!) The primer went on. Uh-oh. "Honey, does this look a little, um, olive drab, to you?" It was, but what could we do? And it was just primer, anyway. It dried to a beautiful, rich, textury green that we both fell in love with. Oh joy! This is exciting!!

Four hours later, I applied the finish coat. Uh-oh. (Yes, again. This time, for real.) "Honey, this is a little, um, yellow..." Zorak said go ahead and slap it on and see what happens. I couldn't bring myself to put it up on more than one wall, at first. It goes on the color of weak split pea soup. (Yeah, ew.) It dries to a vibrant grass color. Hmmm. It's not... bad... per se. But it's not that lovely, convoluted green that begged for bronze trappings and heavy tapestries, either. This green seems to call for more IKEA and less Antique Shoppe. We'll see how it looks in the morning, I suppose.

Meanwhile, Balto figured out how to open the back door, so he spent much of the day inside with us. He's starting to learn that the boys aren't puppies, but I'm not convinced we're making headway. Now he thinks he's a boy! At one point, the balls came out into the living room. I tried to redirect, remind, and guide. Finally I resorted to the Lois technique; yelling.

"THAT'S IT! If you have THAT much extra energy, take. it. OUT. SIDE. NOW!!!"

Balto turned and headed down the hallway and out the back door like a pro! It was all I could do to keep a straight face until all four of them got out of earshot. Too cute. Well, if he's going to be a boy, at least he listens well. That's something.

That's about all I've accomplished today, as Miss Emily has taken the role of Union Boss and she sees to it that nobody works more than she feels ought to be done. Want to work through lunch? Nope, not in the contract. I don't care if this job needs to get done, you're going on break NOW, woman! Ok, ok, just let me put this one little -- Did you not HEAR me? NOW! Alright, already! Sheesh, it's a good thing we're using latex...

And I hear the world's cutest little union boss calling me now, so I'm off!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

L said...

Ha! I think you described the color of my kitchen perfectly. It's growing on me. Like moss, or the fuzz on the loaf of bread I discovered on top of the fridge...

Sometimes you gotta forget Mrs. Cleaver and Mrs. Brady and go straight to Lois. Lois works.

Anonymous said...

OOOh ow, up til 5:00 am with a baby. I am sorry, and I can relate. We were doing that with Miss Sarah...rather she would wake up at about 3:00 and fuss for a pretty good while before going to sleep. Here is a link to a WONDERFUL book that I recomend to everyone because it has worked so well with all of our children:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0449004023/ref=pd_kar_gw_1/102-0477308-8806500?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Dr. Weissbluth's advice is very humane and sound. I know you weren't asking for advice, and I hope you don't mind, but I know you need your rest! We've just about got Sarah's kinks worked out and she is falling into a pattern all by herself...just some restlessness and crying right before bedtime, and then she is good for the night. I feel much more sane!

Mere