Thursday, March 30

Paint, Paint, and More Paint

Ugh. Well, not ugh, reallly. It's good to be painting the master bedroom. But you know you're not communicating well when you are picturing deep terra cottas and spicy cinnamon colors draped around your room and your spouse brings you color chips in five shades of grey... Yeah, and we're supposed to paint today! (Actually, the grey wouldn't be bad, it's just such a shift from what I've been picturing and anticipating.) So. There's that. Thankfully, Zorak found the Behr website - you can mix colors there and play with rooms to get a general idea of what it'll look like. That's handy. (And addictive.)

OK, so far Dawn (who is my hero!) is the only one who has posted pictures of her windows! Come on, guys! I need help, here. I can install a toilet, but I cannot decorate a home. I'm calling on my imaginary friends to help with this thing. Pretty please?!? *Update: Laney has also graciously posted window shots! Yay!* If you do post them, let me know in the comments. :-)

Our high today is supposed to be 80! Wow. That's quite warm. If we can get the groceries bought and the bedroom painted, then the boys and I are going to swing by a park for a picnic with some of the nice folks we attended the arts festival with. (Eee- that was a grammatical wreck. Sorry. Still on my first cup of decaf - which, yes, means it's not going to get any better as the day goes on. Decaf just doesn't have the brain boosting power of wheat bran, or, say real coffee.)

We're rapidly approaching the arrival of our company, and we're all so excited. There's still much to be done around here, but they know it's a work in progress. And their rooms will be done and nicely appointed by the time they arrive, so that's good. This week we're pouring concrete to fix the front steps. (We suspect that each step was added individually by different people, and not one of them agreed on the ratio or method for making steps.) Not only will that drastically improve the safety of entering our home, but it'll look a whole heckuva lot nicer, too!

I wanted to clean up all the leaves around the yard so we could try for a healthy lawn by the time our guests arrive. Zorak didn't quite threaten to set things on fire if I did that, but he did argue rather eloquently for not doing anything to encourage grass growth until we have a lawnmower. So we still have last fall's leaves in the yard. Not too Springish, it's true, but then the grass around here really doesn't need much encouragement, either.

Oh, Zorak's mom said she is going to send us her baby gown for Emily! How exciting is that?!? I'm going to hold off on Emily's baptism until it arrives so that she can wear it. We thought that would be neat. I love our heritage, and I love being able to bring the years together like that. That little gown has a lot of history, and now we can add to it and keep it alive.

No major injuries from Pioneer Club last night. I took Smidge to the 2 and 3 year-old's class, thinking that he might be more comfortable there than in the nursery (and there's a situation in the nursery that I'm not sure how to handle just yet, but it's best if I'm not in there until I figure it out). It would have gone better if we'd arrived on time, I think. As it was, he stood about five feet away from the group the entire time. Wouldn't get near the table to color, but the minute nobody was talking to him, he bolted to the table and grabbed his coloring page. Then he showed his paper to everyone he saw in the hallway, cradled it lovingly on the drive home, and it was the first thing he showed Zorak when we returned. Boy, I've never seen a child more proud of a piece of paper in my life! If nothing else came of it, that was worth it. So cute!

Oh, and for the record - I know it's "Sancho". I do know that. It hit me this morning that I'd typed "Pancho" instead. I can't believe nobody called me on that - how embarrassing! I don't know if I was thinking the last name, or what. That must be it, because 's' and 'p' aren't even near enough to consider it a regular typo. *sigh* I miss caffeine...

Alrighty, I'd best go prime and play with colors. Y'all have a great Thursday!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Melora said...

Exciting news about the baptismal gown! My kids were both baptised in my grandfather's baptismal gown, and I loved the sense of family continuity (plus, the gown is gorgeous).

I like the sound of your terra cottas and cinnamons better than gray, but the Behr site sounds very helpful. I always been afraid to try dramatic colors, but I often love them in other people's homes.

Sheila said...

I'll post some window "don'ts" this afternoon. Darn aluminum 80's windows. I do have a nice cornice in my dining room and my modified bay has decent trim.

I'll also post my comforter. I think it's just the colors you were looking for. Scarlet, gold, with terra cotta.
I haven't picked out wall colors for that room though. (sigh) It's on my list though. I'm planning to welcome ZooDad home with nice scarlet walls.

Cheryl said...

I was mentally whining to myself the other day that I've lived here for 5 years and I still have the boring blinds on the windows. I sew and yet I can't even seem to put any extras on the house. I can't decorate!

Jules said...

I would post pics of my window treatments but I hate all of them! They were in the house when we moved in and I haven't had the time/money/creativity to change them. I sympathize with your plight though! Decorating a house is not something I ever got excited about and therefore never really "learned" how to do. Hmmm... maybe that's why I picked three totally different light fixtures for our latest project. ;)

The Queen said...

I can't post window treatments. We don't HAVE any yet. No, really. We just change in the back rooms where noone can see us--except Chris who figures if you're looking that closely you deserve what you get.

There are a few sheer curtains on two of the front-facing windows, that's it.

I just keep forgetting to budget for it, that's all.

Staci Eastin said...

I noticed the Pancho, but figured you were having some kind of Freudian CHiPs flashback.

How sad is that that I know which letters to capitalize in CHiPs.

Staci

Mamabird said...

Okay, Dy, I give. I actually already HAVE photos of the windows in my den taken earlier this year. I will post them at the babybirds blog momentarily. The window treatments I made myself and they were not super difficult, but they do require rudimentary knowledge of a sewing machine. (Believe me, ALL of my sewing knowledge is rudimentary!) But if you want know how to make them, I'll tell ya.

Karen (Mamabird)

Mamabird said...

Okay, the darn comment feature ate my comment!! So if in a couple of days there are mysteriously two comments from me saying the same thing, you'll know why.

Dy, I posted some window pics for you! ihearthebabybirds.blogspot.com

They're ones I took earlier this month to email to another friend, so they might not show exactly what you're looking for, but if you need more closeup or detail or info, just leave me a comment and I'll get in touch.

HTH!
Karen (Mamabird)

Needleroozer said...

I really need to stop procrastinating and learn how to use the digital camera, don't I!!!!

I do have nice curtains in my living room- white lace panels, with a dark rose swag draped over the top.

Kids have Grandma-made curtains in their room. I am still looking for something to cover up (and be warm,maybe insulated?) the ugly aluminum windows in our room. Right now I have fabric draped over them in the winter, nothing in the summer, cuz Papa likes the sun to wake him early and get his tuckus moving.
LB

H said...

I completely missed the Sancho/Pancho confusion because I was so completely caught up in the other, much more perplexing and distressing revelation:

"She's reading 'Don Quixote'?" She *likes* 'Don Quixote'? She likes it *so much* she's RE-READING 'Don Quixote'? Voluntarily and without complaint?"

When pondering those weighty questions, Sancho/Pancho seems like paps pequenas, no?

Anonymous said...

You find pics of my daughter's windows here: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/momanna98/93168/