Wednesday, July 18

So Exciting!

We have family moving closer to our side of the bog! This, in itself, isn't huge news (it's been in the works for a while), but it's getting close now, and we're all getting very excited. The toe-tickling part, for us, is that they, too, have children. Delightful children. Children we have really missed being involved with as they've grown. It's just not as much fun when the child looks like an entirely different person in size, carriage, and personality every. time. you. see. him, and looks at you like you're a complete stranger (and why are you hugging me? Get away, weirdo!). But now, we'll get to see them more often. They may still think we're "the weird ones", but at least they'll know us well and we won't scare them when we run up and give them noogies. More importantly, the boys (both ours, and theirs) will have cousins nearby! (We don't have to be from here. We can just import family. Ha!)

To kick it off, the boys will be coming to stay with us for a few weeks while their parents have to stay behind and deal with all the icky details of packing, moving, leasing, blech. It'll be much more fun here at our place! (Well, actually, we're hoping the Big People will also take a little time to enjoy a bit of a second honeymoon period while they're traveling. You know, stop in Amarillo and try to get the free steak dinner. Spend the night in Memphis in a hotel with a view of the river, just because it's so pretty at sunset. You know, whatever adults do when they're suddenly without children. Then they can tell us what it's like.) And we'll be here, with boys falling out of every door and window. Kids in the meadow. Kids in the hall. Oh, dear me, I just realized we've still only got one bathroom... maybe Zorak would consent to installing just the toilet in the master bath? That may end up being a necessity at some point.

Zorak's been making plans all evening. "OK, we need to do something about the balcony. And the barn. I need to fix the ladder so they can play in the loft. And we need a mower, but if we can't find one this payday, I'll talk to Dude about bush hogging for us before they come. And we need to find a good fishing hole... and I can take S. to work with me one day, he'd like that... and..." I love it when he's as thrilled about something as I am. I also love that he cherishes his family so much.

Meanwhile, I've been going over the grocery plans and menus. I've probably sucked up all of The Hillbilly Housewife's bandwidth for the entire month, looking for good ideas for larger crowds. (Not that just two boys will add *that* much to our table, but I just barely got the hang of making enough to include DangerGirl's voracious appetite. Plus, we'll have the Engaged Cool Older Cousins out for most of the first week. So fun! So much food! I'm in heaven.) Going to have to make the bread ahead of time, because I am a scatterbrained fusspot in the kitchen when I try to make bread. And it's difficult to close off the kitchen/living room racing loop long enough to keep the bread from going Hindenberg on me. And it's been a while since I've made anything with wheat flour. So. Well, you know, we'll just deal with that before there are witnesses.

On to other, more mundane things. The Emperor is dead, and the Western Roman Empire is no more. We did it. We finished, *ahem* Volume One. It was a little sad, really. The boys spent supper "reminiscing" on their favorite highlights of the empire. (Didn't see that one coming. Cracked me up.) We'll hold off on beginning SOTW Vol. 2 until the beginning of September. I still haven't purchased any of the books for next year, and we'll have plenty to do between now and then. I do think the boys will enjoy diving into the Middle Ages and the early Renaissance.

The garden is... a learning experience, so far. The windmill bed is great for greens. The swiss chard is doing pretty well. Next year, that bed will probably be all greens. Oddly enough, the oregano is loving it there. *shrug* But the peppers need more direct light, and the fennel... I don't know what happened to the fennel. In the raised beds by the future-zen-thing, the eggplants are thriving. Kinda. The cucumbers seem to be giving it a good show. The tomatoes gave up the ghost. I think the bunnies may have helped there. (Balto is SO fired.) Down in the melon patch, it looks like somebody knows what he's doing! Wow. I don't know who's sneaking into our meadow to tend to that garden, but when I find him, I'm going to make him stay for supper. And show him the other beds. *grin* WOW. That's exciting. (That's also, incidentally, the only bed I've had nothing to do with... you can pretty much do the math and tell that we're all best off if I stay on the porch.)

The PORCH! The porch which will be stained this weekend. Yippee. (please don't rain. please don't rain.)

And tomorrow's grocery day (because the porch simply wasn't a dull enough topic to end on? sorry.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

I love this line: "We don't have to be from here. We can just import family. Ha!"

You have a lot to be excited about! How cool that Zorak is so tickled. Have to say, my own big Boy will be jealous that these guys get to spend time with Zorak- he so wants to meet him, and all your boys.

THe garden sounds like it is doing well- do you actually have melons? I don't yet, but the plants seem to be doing well. I picked a humungous zuke today, and a long skinny cuke, too. My toms are growing, but are not close to turning red yet. Soon I hope.

Can't wait to see the porch painted- did you tell us what color yet?

Thanks for all your love and support today- so glad you are in my life.
LB

Dy said...

LB, no actual fruit yet. We didn't get the melons planted until late June, maybe even the beginning of July. I think we let the idea of a long growing season foster our tendency to procrastinate. *sheepish grin* If we lived in Alaska, or were dependent upon our own resources, we'd starve. Or at least we wouldn't have any veggies to go with the squirrell and rabbit meat. *And that's when I must remember to thank the guys at the market, right?*

Didn't, um, share the, uh... color... yeah. Well, you see, we, uh... don't know what it's going to be yet. *nervous chuckle* We thought we knew. Until we put up the stain on the gables, and what we had in mind won't work. So now we're back to square one, which is located somewhere in a medieval torture chamber.

I hope you have a truly beautiful day today, sweetie!! {{hugs}} for you and those wonderful children.

Dy

Anonymous said...

This was a great post, Dy. You sound so happy. :+)

I understand it is your birthday! So have a wonderful one!

Warmly,
Kate

mere said...

Sounds like fun!

Are you going to enjoy another break from lessons at that time?

mere

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I love how you get excited about having lots of extra people in your home. :) Right now I really like the IDEA of hospitality, but actually making it happen is pretty hard for me. But I'm getting better - we're having people over for dinner once a month now and it isn't as hard as I thought it would be! Someday when we have our own forever home, maybe I'll be able to handle lots of people for a week. :) Here's hoping! (And working toward that goal!)

Heidicrafts said...

A full house sounds great.

Based on the boys I've know through Scouts, one bathroom won't be a problem as long as the weather is nice. Just keep them away from the gardens. :P

And with engaged folk and all staying with you, will there be an opportunity for them to hold down the Forever Fort and let you and Zorak sneak off for a dinner for only two?

Have a great time. We'll understand if you don't blog as much (only cause I'm not that busy and I'm not blogging that much).

mere said...

It's your B-day? Have a happy one!

mere

Melora said...

Family nearby (and family with Kids!) sounds so Wonderful! Lucky you! Are they going to be really nearby (like, in the same town?) or just drive-over-and-visit-for-the-day nearby? Either way, that is great. I would love to have some of our family move close (in the same state, say), but I don't think it is likely.