Tuesday, July 3

Hey

Well, EmBaby was really mad. But John had a great practice. Almost three hours long. Thank God for DEET, man, that's all I'm going to say on that subject.

James suffered from some sort of mental palsy at the field that caused him no end of clumsiness - he knocked EmBaby off the bleachers several times, kicked over a box of animal crackers, cracked Smidge in the head with his knee, dropped his book untold times, and then sent my coffee flying when he tried to get out of the way after sending EmBaby down between the steps on the bleachers. Poor kid was so exasperated. He said, "Wow, I guess I'm having a bit of a klutz day, aren't I?" Well, yeah, but like I told him, we all have days like that on occasion. It's okay. Then I directed him to sit, on his butt, yes - both cheeks, over there, a good two body-lengths away from the small ones, while I cleaned up the coffee.

And yet, the kid recovered well. I sent him to the Suburban to look for paper towels, asking him specifically not to lock the keys in the car because Daddy won't be home until after they've rolled up the sidewalks. He returned and I could see he didn't have paper towels. Nor did I see any keys. I froze. I think I whispered, "You don't, by chance, still have the keys, do you?" HE froze. A look of horror-stricken panic spread across his face. I might have thrown up a little bit. Then he burst into laughter and produced the keys from his back pocket, whole and unscathed (but most importantly, NOT still in the car!) "Did you really think I'd locked them in?" Um, yeah. I thought it was a distinct possibility. "*cackle* *chuckle* *guffaw* That's why I thought it would be so funny!" Keep laughing, Kid. I have pictures from the year you thought it was kosher to wear your underwear on the outside of your pants...

And speaking of underwear... I think I got peed on by one of the little siblings. Not one of mine. Mine don't pee on people. But I'm pretty sure the Little Red-Haired Girl who plays with Smidge and EmBaby peed on my lap while we were playing. (If I didn't come with my own children, you'd think I was some kind of Child Catcher - while all the Moms Who Know Each Other hang out and talk salons and bbq plans, their younger children, left to fend for themselves, end up with me and my crew at the other end of the bench. I look like the woman with eighteen kids all disturbingly close in age, and all with different fathers.) Anyway, when she got off my lap, the tops of my pantlegs were soaked. So where her britches. Her mother left shortly thereafter. Ew. So, um, I think Thursday I'll bring extra clothes - some for her, and some for me.

And it's over. And we lived. And I still have four children. And nobody got left at the park. And Zorak is on his way home! YAY!!!!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Jules said...

LOL!!! What a great day! Busy, but good.

I love that James teased you with the keys. My kids do stuff like that to me all. the. time. I think they like to see my eyes glaze over and my lips purse together! It's always fun when they reach that level of humor and they start dishing it out as well as taking it.

Those stray kids are lucky to have someone to pay attention to them at the ballpark. Too bad it had to involve... well... that! ;)

Needleroozer said...

Both of my kids went through a clumsy stage when they were James' age. I think it is normal when they are growing so fast.
Sounds like a very busy day. I can't tell you Dy, how glad I am that my days have slowed down so!
I am glad Zorak is coming home! Way to go handling all that yourself today.
Hugs,
LB

Jennie C. said...

Ha! Both of our cars have those remote control lock thingies, so I keep the keys and the remotes on separate rings, never giving both out at the same time. Also, there's a spare housekey in the car, just in case. :-) Because I've learned the hard way.

I don't know any of the other moms anywhere we go, either. Kinda stinks being the odd-mom-out all the time, but it's nice that all the kids like you!

Deb said...

Dy,

I know this is terribly OT but can you tell me what Latin curriculum you use? My daughters are 6 and 8 and we'd like to start, so I'm researching.

Thanks,
Deb

Jenni said...

Awww, that's kinda sweet. You're the kind of person kids flock to. They must know you're "safe" and nice. They feel *so* safe with you that they can just pee right on your leg without fear of reprisal. Kids are amazingly good people sensors. They can just tell when someone's okay. Their parents who sit and chat about salons and shopping and look down their nose (okay *my* experience) at you have no people sense whatsoever.

Unknown said...

I just found your blog. I must say that I just love it. I look forward to coming back again.

Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I have some terrible news, Justin (mine) is 10 and he is going thru yet another "clumsy" stage. Only now he's at the age where if you point it out, he becomes a bit irritated and embarrassed. But yes, we've had those days too, where things got spilled, babies got knocked over, and said kid in question just can't not knock soemthing over to save his/her life.

Um, I think we're related... that person on the bleachers who all the kids congregate too (and pee on), yep, that would be me too. I just can't seem to talk "shop" with women. What is the matter with me? Musta been that hillbilly raisin' my mama raised me on. Lord help me, too many flannel shirts have ruined me.

Happy 4th!

love dawn

Rebel said...

Poor James, KJ has had days/months like that too. I think it's great that the other children flock to you...but if it were me, I might be just a tad irritated at the other moms.

Melora said...

Well, no wonder Em was irritated. Not only is her poor brother knocking her all over creation, but some non-family child pees on Her mother? I'd be mad too.
Poor James. T. is another klutz. Half the time his brain is one place (and don't ask me Where) and his body is flailing around knocking people, glasses of milk, etc. Today he Almost plowed into an old man with a cane (but not quite), because he wasn't paying any attention at all to where he was going. What a hoot about the car keys! He's a funny kid.

Meliss said...

I guess it may not have been as fun for you to live all this as it was for me to read it! You sure have a way with words.