Sunday, July 15

Sorry, Farmer Brown

I know you needed the rain, but we just couldn't be too depressed about the reprieve!

Since it didn't rain, but did threaten to (and we do work better under pressure), we scuttled about being as productive as possible today. The porch window *frame* is cleaned and primed now. I decided to treat the windows the same on the exterior as I did the trim vs. the sashes inside. (Ignore the bit about how some aren't done inside yet, either. It's the theory I was after.) Tomorrow we'll caulk that up nice and clean. (Getting the old caulk smears off the brick took hours today. You want a finish that will last for an eternity? Smear caulk on your brick surfaces. Wow!)

I'll clean and evaluate the storm windows, and then start scouting for a source for screen frames. We need to replace the ones that are kinked from too many drunk kids climbing in through the windows.

Zorak has worked like a man possessed through all of this. He took the eaves, which were in the same condition as the window frames, only, well, rotted in some spots, to this:


And today, to this:


That's pretty stark white, isn't it? It's so... drastic. This is only primer, and I'm thinking right now I'm glad I lost the Great Color Debate of '07 (I argued for granite grey and pure white). Zorak, of the muted earth tones party, won out, and we'll be putting antique white on this part of the house (both the eaves and windows). That will be good, because right now, when you stand back and look at the whole picture, the lovely white eaves pretty much highlight the poor condition of the roof. *oops!*

And lest you think we're all work and no play, we do play. Sometimes we play with our food, even!

I think from now on, my weekend posts will probably cover the renovations. The theory behind this plan is that I will be more motivated (or under the gun, as it were) to have something I can actually post each weekend.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sean would LOVE that pizza! What a nice eye present with those windows. Want to come work on my back deck next?

Cheryl

H said...

That giant.. um.. item of food (what IS that, by the way) reminds me of something I once read in a story.

The main character was telling of how her mother once baked cookies, and on each cookie she drew a face: Many happy, but some sad, and some angry. At snack time, each of her children had taken a happy face cookie.

"Isn't that interesting," she'd say, "That all of you chose a happy face instead of a sad or angry one." And then she'd talk to them about having a cheerful heart and countenance.

I've always thought that was a good "teachable moment" kind of lesson.

:)

Dy said...

LOL guys. That was actually our point, kind of. The boys each had something to complain about in the ingredients while we put it together, so Zorak put a "YUCK" face on it. That got the kids giggling so hard, they forgot they'd lodged complaints and ate it all.

It is, quite honestly, a terrifyingly simple recipe: a layer mashed potatoes, a layer of some kind of meat (I'll admit we normally use hot dogs, although this one had Spam, but use what you like), sprinkle w/ cheese and a thin-thin layer of mustard, top with mashed potatoes and a little more cheese sprinkles (and possibly a mustard face) and broil for about... I don't know, til it looks done. Everything in it is already cooked and edible, so you just want to melt the cheese and give it a nice crust. BONUS, it's wheat-free!!

But Hillary, did you see??? The house almost looks safe! And inviting! At the very least, clean! LOL!

Dy

Melora said...

Your windows and eaves and looking great. What a difference!
We need to re-do our screens before fall too, so the wasps will stop coming through all the holes. It is on the List.

I thought that was a pizza with a butterscotch sauce face. T. says that is a good combination (but he hasn't convinced anyone else in the family to try it).

Amber said...

Wow, that's coming along well! I am really impressed by Zorak's work on the eaves, my goodness, he has been productive, hasn't he!

The whole color thing scares me - I am so not looking forward to that part of the process.

H said...

I *DID* see! I can't believe all that you've gotten done over the past year and a half. It's amazing!

Hillary

Needleroozer said...

Man, you guys are haulin' tuckus! Those eves look great! The white does look very white, but I am not sure it looks bad.
Way to go.
LB

mere said...

Wow! You guys seriously got movin' this weekend.

I like the white too...I think all of your work looks really good.

Yay!

mere

Jennie C. said...

Yes, I can see how cranky food makes the kids laugh...I might have to give that a go sometime with my picky, picky eaters! I loved that happy cookie story, too.

Needleroozer said...

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think I like the white!
LB