Saturday, July 7

Our Latin Adventure

Well, the boys' Latin Adventure. I'm wallowing in Dowling and Henle, and while I'm making progress... it's like watching Stephen Wright parasail. (It's funny, but only if you pay very close attention.)

I'm not 100% certain what we'll do for next year. I do know that I've been pleased with the plan so far, if that helps any. If you have a young student - six to eight years old - I'd recommend starting with Prima Latina, for the child. Prima Latina can be done in six months, but with a younger student, why not buy yourself a year to get your toes wet while you figure out where you want to go from there?

John is using Prima Latina. I moved him back into that this spring, and neither of us have looked back. It's the perfect pace and tone for a six- or seven-year-old to get an introduction to Latin. Now, I won't sit here and say it's got any Latin grammar to speak of; it doesn't. (The prayers, obviously, are declined and conjugated properly, but the lessons don't cover the forms. They are for memorization - a teacher who is familiar with the material can certainly expound on it, but for that age, it's not necessarily going to sink in.) Prima Latina is best described as a basic Latin vocabulary & English grammar primer. As such, it does a phenomenal job: introduction, familiarity, use. LOVE it.

From there, I think you have to look closely at your student before making choices on programs. Fortunately, there are many to choose from, and there is likely to be one that will fill the need you have to reach your goals in teaching Latin. If you're looking for a Latin program, there is a nice collection of curriculum reviews at Paula's Archives.

John will most likely move into Latina Christiana I when we're finished with PL. I do like the Memoria Press Latin programs. I like that they are thorough, consistent, and well laid-out. What I don't like is that after Prima Latina, it gets a bit convoluted in the set up. We don't use Shurley Grammar. We won't be studying Rome at that point in our history. We won't be incorporating much of our additional reading in the same vein. There'll be a lot of work (for me!) to make it fit our school in order to get from the program as much as it has to offer. Also, it's dry as a bone. And let's be honest, most of the rest of my academic choices are also dry as a bone. (Perhaps this is my anti-humidity protest?) I know, I know, Latin is not the program you'd look to as your Fun Studies salvation... still.

James is nearly through Latin for Children Primer A. And yes, the rumors are true - there are typos and errors galore in this program. I appreciate that the folks at Classical Academic Press update their books each year, in an attempt to purge all errors from the texts. It'd be nice, however, if they'd just hold off, do a much more thorough job and get it right in one or two shots. James is learning Latin well enough, however, that he can catch and correct any mistakes in the book, on his own. He's got it, and it makes sense, and I credit that in large part to the Latin for Children program. So, for us, the typos and so forth aren't as much of a hinderance as they may be for others.

If you're going to use it, get the whole set. I don't know anybody who bought only the primer and stayed with it. At the moment, I don't know many who have stayed with it through two Primer B, to be honest, kit and all. Of course, many of these are families who were looking for a program that taught Ecclesiastical Latin, which Latin for Children is promoted as being...

And that brings me to what's killing me right now -- the program is touted as being usable for Classical AND Ecclesiastical Latin. But you can't get the DVD in Ecclesiastical, at all. According to their reps, they have no plans to make one for Ecclesiastical. The accompanying CD does offer both pronunciations, but the speaker (Dr. Perrin, I believe) slips up far too often, using Classical pronunciation on the Ecclesiastical tracks, for it to be of long-term benefit. As delightful as the CD's are, we have stopped using ours entirely.

James loves the program itself. And he is learning Latin beautifully - the lessons are thorough, interesting, and practical. He's learning it. He's loving it. He's making progress. Isn't that what we look for? *shrug* I don't know. Perhaps I'm just being whiney. In spite of all of the things we do enjoy about Latin for Children, I'm not sold yet on ordering Primer B for the coming school year.

Yet, he does need something, and he's not ready for Henle. (Heck, I'm not ready for Henle!) I'd feel completely comfortable putting John into Latina Christiana, but James is wired differently and needed a deeper, broader, more immersive approach to learning languages. So, the search continues.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Melora said...

So, where did You start? With Dowling and Henle, or somewhere else? I've been sort of planning to just learn along with T., but now you are making me second guess myself. And have you looked at the Latin program that they are talking about now on the curriculum board, something from Galore Park?

Laura said...

I share your pain. I use an old Latin textbook that my mother and my uncle used back in the '50's and I long for a teacher key... .

mere said...

This post is very helpful. We are going to start Latin this year and I've been wondering where to start.

Thinkin' I'm going to print this post out.

Thanks Dy!

mere

Bob and Claire said...

I know Nathan and Luke would certianly agree that Latina Christiana is not too much fun! We started LC II . . . hmm, back in April I think. Definitely pre-baby. And we're all the way on lesson 4--lots and lots of reviewing to make sure those vocab words and conjugation/declensions are stuck in there. I've lookd at LfC at conventions, but I think we're just going to stick with LC II. Mainly because we have it, LOL. But you've made me think, because Nathan and Luke definitely have different learning styles. I just don't think I could do 2 different Latin programs for 2 kids who are at the same point, as well as teach Caleb to read and keep the younger 3 out of trouble. I am impressed that you are learning Latin yourself--I'm just trying to keep up, but I would love to actually understand more of where we're going and the big picture. Maybe this next year (when I won't be pregnant, LOL).

Rebel said...

For what it's worth, KJ did LC 1 when he was 11. Nothing when he was 12 (I couldn't get my act together for Latin.), and started Henle when he was 13. I broke down and hired a college student to teach him Henle Latin though.

Jules said...

Thanks for this review!

I have been wanting to start Latin with Samantha this year and this gives me some good info.

Oh- I wanted to mention that I remembered who my favorite short story author is. I love Kate Chopin. I can't believe I didn't remember her before! At one point, I even wanted to name my baby girls after her! ;)

Check out her stuff and then let me know what you think. She has some very interesting themes that always gave me great "stuff" to digest, if you know what I mean.