Saturday, July 14

Window Pictures

Remember I told you they'd painted the shutters that burned in the fire and rehung them on the house? We have no idea how they did that - it's charred just as evenly on the painted sides,too. Other than actually roasting the shutters, we're not sure how the entire lengths of them charred without the first part to hit the flames burning into nothingness. Every shutter is like this, too.
Of course, the real question isn't, "Wow, how'd you get it so evenly charred?" It's, "Wow, what were you thinking, putting those back up?" This one didn't dissolve, which is why we got pictures. You can see there is relatively good wood in at least some of it, which would make the question, "Dude, ya couldn't have used some of that child labor that keeps popping in around here to scrap that off first?"

These are not going back up. We really hate the fake shutters, not because of the appearance, but because, coupled with brick (I'm just going to have to form an "I hate brick" club. Yes, we may be the only members, I know, but sheesh, the drawbacks to this stuff are astounding!) ANYway, the shutters are not going back up, and yes, we know that'll draw away from the "architectural interest" of the exterior. I'm okay with that, because while your standard fake shutter may look benign on the nicely-painted outside, beneath lurks monsters of all forms...
The red circles indicate the wasp nests on the wall behind just one shutter. Eleven. And that's not a particularly thick infestation of them. It's pretty much like that across the board.

And that is the shutter shudder for the day. :-)
Dy

4 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Oh man, wasps! And just who in their right mind would put burnt to a crisp fake shutters back on anyhow?!?!
LB

Melora said...

We've got those under our fake shutters too. Since we originally thought they might indicate termites, we are grateful for the wasps, in a weird way. We took off the fake shutters around the door (which is Such a stupid look, I think), but we are leaving them around the windows. Ours are plastic and in desperate need of paint, but Ed doesn't want me to start painting them until I finish some other projects and figure out how to paint the ones on the second floor (I have a desperate fear of heights!). I think your bricks provide enough architectural interest anyway! (Just a small kid, from a fellow brick sufferer!)

Jenni said...

Go Dy, go Dy, go go Dy! Just thought you might need your own little cheering squad after this weekend:o)
Really, though, I'm commenting to let you know that I too dislike brick. I have always been resistant to the idea of brick on my house. It should be reserved for patios and walkways and other people's houses.

Heidicrafts said...

My little neighborhood didn't go in for shutters, but I notice them around town. I consider them like a necktie, adding that contrasting color. You brink already had ample contrasting color.